XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: XKR oil cooler pipes failure
Have Jaguar told you about this failure?
50.00%
Have you had a failure of an oil cooler pipe
50.00%
Was anyone injured?
0%
Has Jaguar replaced pipes/damaged Engine for free?
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Oil Pipes failure - XKR

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 04:55 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Oil Pipes failure - XKR

Hello All,
I have an XKR 2000 model convertible. I was travelling from Hamburg to the Hoek Van Holland, after 253km, I saw smoke behind my car, I stopped in an autobahn rest place within 20 seconds. I had no dash warnings or indications to say anything was wrong only a james bond smoke screen behind me.
I pulled to a halt away from other vehicles and turned the engine off.
I discovered that the oil cooler pipe had come out of the crimped connection.
I had the car recovered back home.
Since then I now discover that Jaguar had a technical Bulletin for this.
TB XK 02/02 number303-50
Title Engine oil leakage-loose oil cooler lines- install modified cooler pipes.
Model 2000MY XKR VIN00876-A11051.
There are no details of how the modified pipes are different.
Jaguar on change these if they see a leak whilst servicing your car, they will say nothing if there is no leak.
I had no leak before i set off apart from a very small leak near the top of the engine. 253km later major oil leak with no warning.
I was extremely lucky as the cars tyres, brakes, exhaust were all covered in oil.
I also discovered that another bulletin has been issued for newer Jaguars.

Date 11/04 number 303-S846 2004-05 MY XK Range, VIN A39699-A41740.
Title : Oil cooler feed pipe/hose failure-inspect/replace hose-service action S846.

Why are Jaguar still fitting hoses that they know can fail, especially at high speed, surely this is negligent. How many people own XK`s, how many people have been killed or injured ?

I have been to Jaguar dealer x2 and both were asked at the time I bought my 2nd hand Jaguar if there were any recalls or technical bulletins outstanding. I was not told about this potential failure.

Please highlight these bulletins to other members. I see SNG Barratt sponsor this forum, I am sure that they should and can help expand on the danger and need for a safe replacement.
Jaguar here in both the UK and Germany are not interested in repairing my XKR, despite knowing about fitting parts that are not fit for purpose.
This is a major safety issue, and disappointing lack of morals, and support from a major performance car manufacturer.
Jaguar have known about this since 02/2002, so 13 years, come on Jaguar, please put your hands up and do the right thing by your customers.

Note, I managed to stop within 20 seconds, but my engine wont even turn, dead XKR in drive, you can only turn the ignition and get a click!!

Old 09-17-2015, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 459 Likes on 331 Posts

I would imagine that Jaguar's position is that the oil pipe lasted 15 years, so it was fit for purpose. I don't think it is realistic to expect them to carry out repairs for free 12 years after the warranty ran out.

Its certainly worth highlighting the TSB so that forum users can check their own cars and it also highlights that it is a good idea to install Real Gauges.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by dibbit
I would imagine that Jaguar's position is that the oil pipe lasted 15 years, so it was fit for purpose. I don't think it is realistic to expect them to carry out repairs for free 12 years after the warranty ran out.

Its certainly worth highlighting the TSB so that forum users can check their own cars and it also highlights that it is a good idea to install Real Gauges.
Thanks for your reply, good points, I had a power steering pipe fail the other month, but that was fair wear, my main point is that Jaguar knew about pipes that had not been manufactured properly and could fail, fit for purpose has no time limit. Mainly I am concerned of the danger of failure on other Jaguar owners cars. Nearly all the threads I have since read seem to have no knowledge of the tech bulletin. When I changed my power steering line I checked all other lines. Also a garage also checked my car 2 weeks ago and only found a small leak on the top of the engine. If owners are driving short distances they are more likely to notice a leak, however if your driving from Hamburg to the Hoek Van Holland your not going to know until you see smoke. Plus the failure of the crimp won't be seen until it has failed. The real gauges is a great idea. I will look into those if I can get my cat back on the road. Jaguar seem to suggest to me that my case is a one off! But reading forums I see it is now more common. Thanks again for the real gauges idea and your input. Cheers Tim Goz