Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

dwclapp - The OP has a manual car so that won't be the issue

Old 04-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

This ship is getting full.
I have read and searched everything numerous times.
One thing I have noticed, automatic transmission.
I think our fluid levels may be high.

xx xtype xx, did you happen to add any tranny fluid during your enhancements?

from here it seems to only leave cats and oh twos

Old 04-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clyons
Bad coil(s) would most likely throw a MIL code. I would clean the throttle body. It is probably sticking when near closed. There are several threads that describe how in this forum.
I held back on cleaning the throttle body as I feel there's a little bit of a debate on the coating inside the TB wearing away if cleaned. I can defintely do this though.
I DID clean the IMT valves with a rag as there was some slight gunk that was visible. I also noticed that some liquid had accumulated inside the rubber intake tube that connects the TB to the Air Intake. This was from the way that I had the manifold flipped to get at the rear plugs. I also wiped this liquid out.
I purchased a new TB gasket so I'll remove the whole thing and give it a good cleaning.
Let you know if there's any difference.
Thank u clyons,

Old 04-01-2015, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by innzane
This ship is getting full.
I have read and searched everything numerous times.
One thing I have noticed, automatic transmission.
I think our fluid levels may be high.

xx xtype xx, did you happen to add any tranny fluid during your enhancements?

from here it seems to only leave cats and oh twos
Interestingly enough, I've done the transmission fluid drain/fill procedure twice now (with one more to go). I used the specified Royal Purple ATF -Idemitsu K17. I would have to go back and find the Thread with the procedure but from what I recall I was supposed to drain and refill 3.5qts three times in order to get flush out the old fluid (full 8.32qts capacity).
Now you have me thinking that it could be the transmission as that was my initial guess but I just thought that since I did all of the other maintenance that it had to be related to that.
Decisions, decisions...
clyons mentioned cleaning the TB... which is cheaper as I have everything I need (ATF that I'm using isnt cheap).
I'll keep you updated.
Thanks innzane

Old 04-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A New Thought On This

I have done everything and more by this point. I every bought a new throttle body all with absolutely no change.

At work when we troubleshoot a problem by replacing everything in the hardware side of the system I usually ask the software guys if they changed anything recently.

I found this TSB # XT303-S953; Driveline Shudder/Hesitation - 30 - 50 MPH.

It is nearly the same description of the symptoms I have had for a long time.

Now I am not suggesting a trip to a Jaguar dealer where you are charged > $100 just to breathe the air but I would really like to know what version of firmware is in my ECU.

It would be sad if I changed all that hardware due to a simple software issue. Mine is a 2005 3.0 X-Type but is the wrong code is in there it would explain everything.

Any thoughts on how to pull ECU firmware version or do I need more than a typical code reader?

Attached Files
Old 04-01-2015, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Unibabble
I have done everything and more by this point. I every bought a new throttle body all with absolutely no change.

At work when we troubleshoot a problem by replacing everything in the hardware side of the system I usually ask the software guys if they changed anything recently.

I found this TSB # XT303-S953; Driveline Shudder/Hesitation - 30 - 50 MPH.

It is nearly the same description of the symptoms I have had for a long time.

Now I am not suggesting a trip to a Jaguar dealer where you are charged > $100 just to breathe the air but I would really like to know what version of firmware is in my ECU.

It would be sad if I changed all that hardware due to a simple software issue. Mine is a 2005 3.0 X-Type but is the wrong code is in there it would explain everything.

Any thoughts on how to pull ECU firmware version or do I need more than a typical code reader?
I read this before too...
My X-type is a 2003 2.5L. I'm thinking
that this was an intermittent issue until 2004 when it started to become more common. I also read another TSB (I'd have to go back and find it) about how the transmission on 2002-2003's shift into to 4th too early (which happens to me all the time). The TSB is for a recommended reflash of the ECM to correct the shifting. I have 72k on my X and from the looks of the service records the original owner took it in for a 10k and 30k (according ro the service stamps in the back of the driver's manual). I don't know where the timing of the TSB and the original owners maintenance crossed, but I would think that Jag would document the ECM being reflashed (per the DDW in the TSB)
I know little about reflashing an ECM for THIS car. If it were only $100 to bring the car in, I would do it in a heartbeat... but I'm sure it would be more a long the price of $400.
Anyone else had the ECM reflashed in or out of warranty ?

Last edited by Xx_Xtype_xX; 04-01-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chas944
I wanted to follow up on what my problem was. I had a weak #6 ignition coil. I ended up causing the engine to studder and misfire to the point of generating a DTC.
Hey chas,
If you don't mind me asking; how did you specifically find out that it was the #6 ignition coil? What tool/reader
did you use?
thanks,
G

Old 04-02-2015, 02:20 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Interesting. I haven't seen that TSB. I have a 2006 though, could it still be the culprit.......... I've checked codes as I have a OBDII tool, but I just get the P1111. Of course that doesn't mean there aren't tranny codes.

My MPG is around 17mpg in the city and 20ish on the hwy. I imagine it could be higher, but I don't do too much freeway driving. I might just take it down to the dealer to see about that TSB or if they have a suggestion.

I always seem to go back to thinking it's 02 sensors, so I suspect it may in fact be 02 sensors due to the miles I have. I think I've just been hoping it's not due to the cost to do it, at least the two on the firewall side, so I'm waiting to make that commitment when I actually get the 02 code.

Hopefully this post stays alive!

Old 04-02-2015, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member

Remember that failing 02 lambda sensors won't always give a code unfortunately.

The following users liked this post:
ugotmale (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 07:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My '03 has just rolled over to 100k miles and it does it even when driving at 65mph up a decent hill. It does however have an almost 2 phase shift into 4th gear. I have no codes being stored. It will also studder at 35mph if I give it more than a little gas but will stop if I push down hard enough to downshift. How could the catalytic converters be causing this? I just don't understand that.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:04 AM

The cats should remove something that is monitored by o2, if not removing it than computer can over-under compensate for it.
But it would be odd for cat to cause this issue, o2 are cheaper and easier.

Old 04-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rjcl004
My '03 has just rolled over to 100k miles and it does it even when driving at 65mph up a decent hill. It does however have an almost 2 phase shift into 4th gear. I have no codes being stored. It will also studder at 35mph if I give it more than a little gas but will stop if I push down hard enough to downshift. How could the catalytic converters be causing this? I just don't understand that.

At that sort of mileage and unless your 02 sensors have been changed my guess would be them causing this issue

A failing 02 sensor can cause these issues and yet not store a code, worth checking

Old 04-02-2015, 02:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

For Cars with high mileage cats and 02 sensors i can't recommend this stuff highly enough. Run it through a few times a year to keep the above in good shape.

It will also get your emissions down come mot time

Cataclean | Cataclean Liquid Science | Cataclean reduces emissions

Old 04-03-2015, 06:30 PM

I got on a steep downhill and punched it at 50 and it still did it. Mine almost feels like the motor turn off/on in an instant, full power loss.

I do have the 171 174 codes, started with cruise not available.
It causes my car to rattle like the engine is hot also.
I do dislike this issue.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It's running lean so fix it or it'll be damaged. Stop punching it!

Old 04-04-2015, 03:49 PM

I found the TSB (Jag doesn't call it a TSB) which is referred to as a "Vehicle Enhancement Program"
Here's the Link of the pdf with all of the "Vehicle Enhancements".
Look at S937-Tran Control Module Reflash or S937-Engine Control Module Reflash-Part 1
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...ment_03_03.pdf

direct link to the page:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-s-b-s-24503/

I also mentioned that I changed the pcv valve (this was another item listed on the pdf) when I did all of the maintenance. For Sh*ts and Gigs, I am going to put the old one back on. I just changed it because it was inexpensive and right there on top.

I'm going to have to call Jag next week to see if I indeed have a VIN within the range of this "Vehicle Enhancement Program".

After that I will start with the Vacuum Leak Test, TB cleaning, O2 Sensors, Transmission Drain/Fill and then the Ignition Coils.
I read on Jag repairs website that Jaguar recommends changing O2 sensors every 30k. I would like to hear a little bit more about this "recommendation". I've had cars that have went 280k without ever changing the O2 sensor(s). That was running 87 unleaded too. I'm a little disappointed if that is the reason behind this, but relieved if its that simple.

Last edited by Xx_Xtype_xX; 04-05-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is an O2 Lambda sensor? I understand O2 sensor, but what is Lambda?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

They're one and the same thing

Old 06-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still the same old problem

Heu guys!

I've had a 1999, S-type, 3.0 for the last 8 years and been experiencing the same problem (jerking under load, hesitating, misfiring) between 1000rpm and 1500rpm. Replaced the cranckshaft and camshaft sensors, MAF, fitted a new CAT, plugs, coils, sealents, etc... The only things I haven't tried were replacing the coolant sensor and O2 sensors. My car has 250k miles. I'll probably replace the latter now.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:06 AM

I got mine fixed and passed emissions finally.
I literally raped the maf with cleaner and things improved.
I got on the highway and floored it to clean out the exhaust.
Started running great, codes started to clear.
Only slight sputter at 3rd 4th gear low rpm.
Then got an o2 code, went away, came back, stayed.
Then the car just coughed one day and within a second the
cel went out and never came back, passed emis 2 weeks later.
Still all good, fix my boot latch and the dash will be clear.
That I have not seen yet but only momentarily.

Quick Reply: Hesitation/Judder/Stutter/Jerking under load