X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlight Conversion (04 X-Type)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlight Conversion (04 X-Type)

As my X-Type is experiencing the infamously common issue of the melted headlight wiring harness, and after reading on the forum that upgrading to HID headlights would eliminate such problems, I'm looking to upgrade both my high and low beam headlights (possibly fog lights as well) to HIDs.

That said, I have a few questions:

1) Does anyone have suggestions as to quality (but hopefully not extremely expensive) HID kits I should consider? Seeing the wide range on ebay and the web, and considering the labor expense, I'd like to get HID kits that won't have issues requiring additional labor/cost or replacement. I'd like to keep costs down, but also don't want to buy a kit that will stop working soon after instal. Also, are there any kits I should avoid?

2) I've seen mention of both HID and LED options for fog lights, are there benefits to choosing one over the other? Any thoughts?

3) How much labor is involved in installing the HID conversion kits? It seems most auto shops won't even try to do this and others want to charge several hours of labor (at $100/hr), etc. I attempted replacing the headlight bulbs myself and soon realized that I wasn't going to be successful. (Anyone know of an auto shop in Tampa Bay, Florida, that will do the installation?)

4) Since I'm wanting to replace both high and low beams, do I just purchase two of the same H1 kits? Forgive my ignorance, but will the HID high beams appear brighter than low beams, as usual, or will they appear similar? (I ask because I've read mixed information on the web)

5) In addition to the standard HID Conversion Kit (H1), are there any extra parts that I'll need to purchase? I've noticed on some sites and eBay listings, they mention a variety of extra wiring or parts that may be needed, but am unsure exactly what I need to purchase.

6) A repair shop informed me that converting to HID headlights almost always results in a melted headlight lens or rear within a few months due to increased heat. Is there any truth to this? Do I need to change the headlight assembly or will my standard headlight assembly suffice?

I sincerely appreciate all guidance!

Last edited by DBlair; 03-23-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

DBlair, if you lived closer to me, I would tell you to come on over and I would install these for you.

As for your questions:
1) price you pay and the quality of the HID tend to go hand in hand. Some guys have gotten the cheapo HID kits and they have worked great. Others have spent the money and had nothing but problems. It is very much a hit and miss thing. I can't say that I can recommend any company over another.

2) Right now, LED lighting is in its infancy and a true LED lighting is going to cost you an extreme amount of money. If you are talking about just installing some LEDs to make the housing light up, then that is a different story. Skip the LEDs and go with HIDs.

3) Doing the lights is going to be fairly easy. With our cars, due to how the lights are set up, you do not need any extra harnesses or the like. Wire up the ballasts to the factory wiring and go from there. Now, this does assume you are using 35W HIDs (see below). If you are planning on using 50W HIDs, then upgrading to a separate relay harness is going to be needed. When doing the fog lights, you will need to modify the old bulb base to make the HID bulb be able to mount into the old base. If you have questions on this, either look around the forums or talk to me (I have done a few of these).

4) Yes, you can order 3 of the same kits to work for your car (low, high, and fogs). I will tell you that you should be looking at the 35W kits, not 50W kits. 35W kits will output tons more light than any conventional halogen bulb. Besides, 35W HID bulbs are the only ones that are DOT approved (read as street legal). Then you have to decide on what color HID bulbs you are going to want. If you are after maximum light, then you are wanting 4300K bulbs. If you are after a specific look, then let me know what you are after and I can make recommendations. But, keep in mind, the farther from 4300K you get, the less light you are going to get too.

5) As for extra parts, like I mentioned in #3, you won't need any extra harnesses or the like for the Jag. You start looking at other vehicles and the need for the harnesses will almost be mandatory. But, this is dependent on the vehicle. If you are doing the fog lights, you will need some RTV to seal the modified bulb base to the HID bulb. You will also need some butt splices or what I would really recommend is getting some "Raychem WCSF-070 heat shrink". This is heat shrink on steroids and will be something that once you use it, will forever use it. I use it at work to survive a nuclear reactor accident. This will survive the environment under the hood of your car. Just remember to cut a piece that is 2" longer than you joint (so you can put the extra 1" on either side of what you are sealing as the Raychem has a special glue on the inside that will seal the heat shrink to the wiring, making it as if the wire has never been cut).

6) Converting to HIDs if anything results in less heat being generated by the HIDs. The only exception to this is when you start getting into the high temp HIDs (10000K or more). You can also see some problems if you are using the 50W HIDs

Hopefully I have not given you information overload. I know a thing or two about HID bulbs as you can see. If you are looking for some major light for your high beams, then I would tell you to upgrade your high beams (only the high beams) to 50W HIDs. Keep your low beams and fog lights at 35W HIDs. If you need some help in selecting colors, let me know. There are a few thoughts on this and I will let you decide what you want.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What thermo said
As for what kit to get, I just bought a generic kit off of ebay and its been great so far and ive had it about a year. I have 8K which look really cool but dont give off the best light. 6K would be the best of both worlds. Light and color

Old 11-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Driver side is pretty easy to do. Just remove battery and battery case and you´ll have plenty of room to work with. Passenger side is pretty cramped, but not impossible. You´ll need some sort of hook to open and close the metal clamp of the plastic lamp cover. I´ve had cheap and expensive HID kits and all of them have worked as well as others.

Here in Finland I have to change regular H1 bulbs for the MOT once a year so I´ve learned to do it in about 20 mins.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts
Default HID Colors

Remember that any color hotter than “white” is illegal in the US! Also, it is illegal to modify a vehicle that was not manufactured with HIDs to HIDs---for Street use. But wait, yes, everyone is using them?

Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 AM
Jac
Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DBlair
As my X-Type is experiencing the infamously common issue of the melted headlight wiring harness, and after reading on the forum that upgrading to HID headlights would eliminate such problems, I'm looking to upgrade both my high and low beam headlights (possibly fog lights as well) to HIDs.

That said, I have a few questions:

1) Does anyone have suggestions as to quality (but hopefully not extremely expensive) HID kits I should consider? Seeing the wide range on ebay and the web, and considering the labor expense, I'd like to get HID kits that won't have issues requiring additional labor/cost or replacement. I'd like to keep costs down, but also don't want to buy a kit that will stop working soon after instal. Also, are there any kits I should avoid?

2) I've seen mention of both HID and LED options for fog lights, are there benefits to choosing one over the other? Any thoughts?

3) How much labor is involved in installing the HID conversion kits? It seems most auto shops won't even try to do this and others want to charge several hours of labor (at $100/hr), etc. I attempted replacing the headlight bulbs myself and soon realized that I wasn't going to be successful. (Anyone know of an auto shop in Tampa Bay, Florida, that will do the installation?)

4) Since I'm wanting to replace both high and low beams, do I just purchase two of the same H1 kits? Forgive my ignorance, but will the HID high beams appear brighter than low beams, as usual, or will they appear similar? (I ask because I've read mixed information on the web)

5) In addition to the standard HID Conversion Kit (H1), are there any extra parts that I'll need to purchase? I've noticed on some sites and eBay listings, they mention a variety of extra wiring or parts that may be needed, but am unsure exactly what I need to purchase.

6) A repair shop informed me that converting to HID headlights almost always results in a melted headlight lens or rear within a few months due to increased heat. Is there any truth to this? Do I need to change the headlight assembly or will my standard headlight assembly suffice?

I sincerely appreciate all guidance!
You might want to read this. The Truth You Must Know (About AC VS. DC HID KIT) : Mydepots Online, Tattoo Kit, Xenon HID Kit, DVR Surveillance System & Projector