X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Help before I go insane...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Look for crimp-on connectors, you can use the inside part of a pair of regular pliers to crimp the connector down on the end of the bare wire.

Attached Thumbnails HID Help before I go insane...-slip-joint-pliers-590sn030510.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Alrighty, so just wondering, what if this doesn't work? and I'm out of headlights? :/
And should I actually look on for something called "crimp-on" connectors? Or should any pair of pliers do the job?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:31 PM

And I assume this is the female connector that I am looking for?
Female Flag Crimp-On Quick-Disconnects (6-Pack) - RadioShack.com

Then I am able to crimp the wire into that? Or what? How do I get the wire to stay in there? Do I have to solder it?

Or should I get this one?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2104016

Old 07-30-2011, 12:31 PM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Wanted to say first that I originally ordered a harness for my HID kit as well, but I had the same issues you guys have. I have extra wires leftover and couldn't figure out where they went, so I've been going without the harness for now.

As for the grounding issue. Rather than cut the OEM ground wire, I decided to just pull the separate HID bulb ground wire out of the housing and just grounded it to a part of the chassis. A very rudimentary solution that hasn't failed me for almost a year. I wanted to retain the OEM wires in the event that I sell the car, I can revert back to stock halogens easily and keep my ballasts for use in another car.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:33 PM

Sorry to bother AML, but how did you go about grounding the black wire (in my case) to the chassis? This seems like a much easier solution.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by QuintonChester
Alrighty, so just wondering, what if this doesn't work? and I'm out of headlights? :/
And should I actually look on for something called "crimp-on" connectors? Or should any pair of pliers do the job?
Don't know what to tell you if it doesn't work, this is how it appears you should be connecting the wiring. You may want to buy a cheap multimeter at RS as well, in case you need to measure for 12v between the white and brown wires of the factory plug (in the event the lights don't operate).

Look at the picture of pliers in my last post, if they have the part where I pointed the red arrow then they will work. That is the part of the pliers you will use to do the crimping.

The connectors you buy should look something like the attached picture here:

Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
QuintonChester (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this a similar solution for the S-Type?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:36 PM

Thanks Gold, I might try that, but I want to see how AML grounded his to the chassis first and if that doesn't work then I will resort to what you are suggesting Thanks for being such a big help and not getting super frustrated with me.

I'm just scared because I'm not quite sure on how to do this, do you think it would be best if I took it to a mechanical shop or something like that and had them help me with them? :/ Because I don't want to mess anything up. And at least if they mess it up, they have to fix it. Or should I just ship the HIDs back and get my money back?

Last edited by QuintonChester; 07-30-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:46 PM
AML

Okay so using your picture as a reference. Just to clarify, since I assume all HID kits are wired the same. You know how all the wires that lead into the housing have to go through a rubber grommet. And the rubber grommet sits in a hole that you have to drill through the housing cap in the back of the headlight assembly, correct? Well that black ground wire from the HID kit I just pulled out the back of the rubber grommet, so it doesn't even sit inside the headlight assembly anymore. Then I just used a bolt/nut and some washers to tightly clamp the ground to part of the chassis.

You might have to experiment with some locations as I noticed some areas didn't ground as well as others (probably due to the paint). I thought about splicing the HID wire with a ring connector so I could use factory ground points in the chassis and just add to those, but the wire wasn't long enough and I didn't feel like making it longer.

I'll try to get a picture of what I'm talking about.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by AML
Okay so using your picture as a reference. Just to clarify, since I assume all HID kits are wired the same. You know how all the wires that lead into the housing have to go through a rubber grommet. And the rubber grommet sits in a hole that you have to drill through the housing cap in the back of the headlight assembly, correct? Well that black ground wire from the HID kit I just pulled out the back of the rubber grommet, so it doesn't even sit inside the headlight assembly anymore. Then I just used a bolt/nut and some washers to tightly clamp the ground to part of the chassis.

You might have to experiment with some locations as I noticed some areas didn't ground as well as others (probably due to the paint). I thought about splicing the HID wire with a ring connector so I could use factory ground points in the chassis and just add to those, but the wire wasn't long enough and I didn't feel like making it longer.

I'll try to get a picture of what I'm talking about.

If you could post a picture of the way yours is done that would be soooo amazing. And just to clarify, I will have to ground all four black cables, correct? Since I have two lows and two highs, I will have to ground all of those? Or just the passenger side? Because I see all these things about the passenger side and I'm just clueless :/

Old 07-30-2011, 01:19 PM

Okay, I have the black cables pulled out of the waterproof washer, Now where, and how, do I ground them?

Old 07-30-2011, 01:52 PM
AML

I hope you only pulled the lonely black wire. Since all the other ones (including the one directly connected to the bulb) all have their appropriate places to go. Otherwise it's okay if you pulled the others - just stick them back in the grommet.

But here are some pictures. The first picture again is yours, but I just highlighted the only wire that you need to pull out. The second picture is an outline of how I have it set up.

Like I said, I just pulled that lonely wire out and just clamped it together to a random hole I found in the body/chassis with two washers and a nut/bolt. Nothing else needs to be done.

Attached Thumbnails HID Help before I go insane...-dsc00812rw.jpg   HID Help before I go insane...-p7300392.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
QuintonChester (07-30-2011)
Old 07-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Alright, now, last question, did you like put in between the washer and the bolt? Because the hole on my the wire isn't big enough to fit around a bolt that I have, I think it would barely fit around a nail. So I don't know what I should do as far as bolting it down.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:11 PM
AML

I'm not an electrical engineer, so if there is a serious/dangerous flaw in my method somebody please let me (us) know ASAP.

Attached Thumbnails HID Help before I go insane...-untitled.jpg  
Old 07-30-2011, 05:15 PM

got them going! Yayayay, two days into it though hahaha :P Thanks for all the help everyone, especially AML <3 You're my love.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 AM
AML

lol you're welcome. I actually went through an entire winter of having a drivers side HID and passenger side halogen setup before I finally figured out how to get my passenger HID to work...

Old 07-31-2011, 11:51 AM

Does anyone know of fuse for passenger low beams for 2005 s-type. I'm missing it somewhere!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Default Headlight issues

I replaced my old HID kit because the lights stop working and now only one light will come on and they would flicker when I first installed them but they both worked. I have a 2001 XK8 Can I replace the factory relay or do I need to use a relay that draws power from the battery? Can someone help me out?