X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Help before I go insane...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HID Help before I go insane...

Okay, So I followed this guide.. Relay Installation Guide But of course my bulbs were H1's rather than H4's.

For some reason, my lights WILL NOT come on at all. My turn signals, my DRL's and everything else works, but not my headlights (low and hi-beams).

On step two, I wasn't able to plug my OEM headlight connector into my HID connector, it doesn't fit... does it? But there were also two little washer looking things, a red one and a black one off of each bulb, but I didn't know where they went so I didn't plug them into or attach them on to anything.

I'm just so confused

Old 07-29-2011, 09:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Quinton, you have me a little confused here. You talk about your HIDs not working, but then you talk about the H1 bulbs. The H1 bulbs are halogen bulbs, not HID bulbs. HID bulbs for these cars are D2S bulbs. They are a completely different monster than the typical halogen bulbs.

If you are not sure which you have right now, then open up the driver's door and look near the hinge of the door. You will see a silver sticker there (about 4x4" as I recall) that will specifically talk about the HID system of the car. If you don't have the sticker, then you have halogen bulbs. The X-Type came with both types of lights, just the HIDs were an upgrade/option.

I don't have my diagrams with me to help you narrow down the problem. Out of curiousity, do your fog lights turn on? The fogs and high beams share a common power source. I remember that from the diagram. For all those bulbs not to be working, we are looking at a common power problem. I am leaning towards the headlight switch, but I want to look at the diagrams first as I am running off of memory and am not 100% sure.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

You followed a guide for aftermarket HIDs written for a Scion with H4 bulbs, and you wonder why it doesn't work on the X...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:05 PM

Yeah, the HIDs I got aren't H1 bulbs themselves, but the bulbs I bought do fit into my headlight socket and I know it is correct, because it all lines up, and the things that keep the bulbs in, like the metal things clamp down like they're supposed to. I bought the conversion kit from hidsrus.com, and I was trying to put the kit together and the bulbs won't turn on :/
Not sure if the fogs turn on or not, I'll go try that really quick.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type
You followed a guide for aftermarket HIDs written for a Scion with H4 bulbs, and you wonder why it doesn't work on the X...
It's the only guide that they gave me for the Relay, :/ Why do you think I'm posting here for help? Don't hate man, I'm coming here with an honest question.

Like I have this, https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...y-lights-2752/ But I also have Relay cables, and if it wasn't for those, then I could get my HIDs working I believe. I just don't understand why in the world I can't get the relays to work as well :/

NOTE: Sorry for the double post

Second note: Yes, the fog lights still turn on.

Last edited by QuintonChester; 07-29-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:30 AM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Neither sides work? When I installed mine I got my driver's side to work, but not my passenger side until I grounded the bulb separately since there isn't a ground connection on the stock wiring.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by AML
Neither sides work? When I installed mine I got my driver's side to work, but not my passenger side until I grounded the bulb separately since there isn't a ground connection on the stock wiring.
What do you mean until you grounded it separately? and I think I'm just gonna lose the Relay cables, that will make it a ton easier. If it still doesn't work after that, then idk just try try try again I guess.

I'm positive I have everything wired right down to this one last part, where in THE world do these two cables go?

Last edited by QuintonChester; 07-30-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be all wrong but im in the middle of this same project. THe two ends I see on mine s-type went into ballast and the other end into the factory plug. (That used to go into the bulb)

Old 07-30-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by charlesocean1
This may be all wrong but im in the middle of this same project. THe two ends I see on mine s-type went into ballast and the other end into the factory plug. (That used to go into the bulb)
That's what some guy on jaguarforums.co.uk said, he is helping me a lot, I just don't know how they would go into the factory plug, like which one goes where and so on, :x

Old 07-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AML

I got the same thing! Drivers side is fine but not passenger. The HID setup is still installed on drivers side and even the stock halogen bulbs wont work. That could be a lost ground from drivers Side. Thought of that. Do you have a new ballast? How did you ground yours? Did you ground just the bulb????

Any thoughts are appreciated!!!!
2005 S-Type

Old 07-30-2011, 11:22 AM

Or if someone could just snap a picture of how theirs is setup, could do that? Like show us how the lights are in the housing themselves and then we could just mock that and then the lights should work.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by QuintonChester
Or if someone could just snap a picture of how theirs is setup, could do that? Like show us how the lights are in the housing themselves and then we could just mock that and then the lights should work.
I am going to assume from your picture that the red and black spade connectors in the foreground are part of the HID kit's wiring loom, and the factory plug is directly behind it (the yellowish-beige plug).

What you will most likely do is plug the red wire's spade connector firmly into the middle of the beige factory plug, that is the +12v connection to the original bulb.

The problem with the original factory plug is that the ground connection to the halogen bulb consisted of two tangs on the sides of that beige plug, that essentially grip the sides of the bulb when plugged in.

This means that you have nothing to directly plug your black (negative) spade connector into. You will need to cut the negative (brown) wire going into the beige factory plug and crimp a female spade plug onto that factory wire in order to plug the black wire (male spade connector) from the HID kit into it.

Last edited by Gold_04_X-Type; 07-30-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:47 AM

So I have to take the brown cable and cut it out of the factory connector and I have to purchase a female connector from somewhere such as Radioshack and then put it onto that wire? I just need to get this all right before I actually do it and completely affect my entire assembly.

Here is a picture of what I have right now :x

Old 07-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,146 Likes on 752 Posts

if you could post the instructions to the kit you have, it may help.

Are those un-connected wires in your picture from the factory harness, or from your kit?

Old 07-30-2011, 11:58 AM

So I have to take the brown cable and cut it out of the factory connector and I have to purchase a female connector from somewhere such as Radioshack and then put it onto that wire? I just need to get this all right before I actually do it and completely affect my entire assembly.
That picture is very close to what I described.

You can also shave some insulation off of the brown wire and connect the black wire (minus spade connector) directly to it, or use those 3M splice connectors that attach to a wire and allow a second wire to piggyback on it, the end goal is the same: black from the HID kit goes to the factory brown wire in the headlight plug.

Also, be careful with the red wire while the brown wire is still attached to the factory plug, if the red wire's spade connector touches the outer metal "box" or the tangs it will cause a short when you power the headlights.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 PM

h20, they're from the kit.

Gold, So what I can do is shave the brown plastic part off, and then how in the world do I get the black wire to stay connected to the brown one? :/

By the way, I am refreshing this page like every couple of minutes, so I am going to be replying rather quickly.

Last edited by QuintonChester; 07-30-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 PM

h20, they're from the kit.

Gold, So what I can do is shave the brown plastic part off, and then how in the world do I get the black wire to stay connected to the brown one? :/

By the way, I am refreshing this page like every couple of minutes, so I am going to be replying rather quickly.
No not the plastic part, just a portion of the brown wire's insulation in order to expose the conductor. That way you could cut the end off the black wire, strip it back, and wrap the black wire's conductor around the exposed part of the brown wire and solder/tape it. It's less invasive than cutting the brown wire outright, but I would rather cut the wire, add a female spade plug, and make a solid connection that way.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:08 PM

Which do you think would be easiest. Because the first one sounds easiest to me...

So do I pull the brown cable out of the original assembly, and then I would expose the actual wire, then I would take the end of my black wire and pull that off and expose the wire from that and just wrap them around each other, or basically tie them together?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:14 PM

Which do you think would be easiest. Because the first one sounds easiest to me...

So do I pull the brown cable out of the original assembly, and then I would expose the actual wire, then I would take the end of my black wire and pull that off and expose the wire from that and just wrap them around each other, or basically tie them together?
You can do that too, but I would not recommend just twisting the pair together without soldering or using a connector on the brown wire.

Easy isn't the best route to go with this, headlights are a safety item and you wouldn't want them going out all of a sudden on a dark night! I'm sure an intermittent connection would wreak havoc on the HID bulbs as well.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:15 PM

So I should take the route you suggested and head to radioshack and look for female connectors and purchase four of them and then pull the brown wire out and then how would I even go about connecting that? I'm not much of an electrician :/

Quick Reply: HID Help before I go insane...