X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hid self leveling headlights breakage

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Hid self leveling headlights breakage

How many of you out there with HID lights have had to replace of fix your adjuster's? I am looking to start a class action suit against Jaguar as I feel these lights are poorly and cheaply designed. I have spoken to a lawyer who does consumer law and is will to take the case on a contingency fee base. But we need some people to enter. No cost to you or me.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:34 AM

Is there any place on the net that I can find instructions on how to remove the headlights and perhaps repair them with the kit I bought? I did find a 3 part video on YouTube but it is very hard to follow and the filming is not well down. I think it might have been made in Europe as the English is bad and some sentences that appear on the screen seem to be in Polish or other Slavic language. Thanks. MY state inspection (MOT in the UK) is coming up next month and I have to get this headlight BS out of the way, if I don't pass I can't drive the car. As Ma is very, very touchy when a cop sees a failed inspection sticker on a car, especially a safety one, which this would be.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Smile HID lights broken

I happened to click on TSB's on the site and found a download for fixing HID headlights. It a long download, but perhaps this is what I am looking for.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished repairing my headlights a week or two ago. It is an all-day job. You need to first remove the bumper. Then you can remove the headlamp assembly. Once you have each assembly off the car, you can fix them. It is fairly quick to do once you have the assy apart. Be sure you only do one lamp at a time, so you have the other one as a reference on how things go back together. The 'kit' I got to fix them came as three pieces. Two of them worked great, the third piece required my getting another piece of plastic block to make it work. Oh BTW, you will need to actually take the clear plastic lens off the front of the lamp assy to get to the innerds to fix them. It is easier to do it if you soften the 'glue' that holds the thing together. The sealant is practically the same stuff that body shops use to seal between body panels, and comes in a roll; super sticky putty-like stuff. I hear that it softens okay if heated in an oven to about 200-250F. Of course, don't melt the lens or housing first.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the information, I can't do this kind of work myself due to a physical handicap. I hoping the body shop I use can fix them with the kit I am getting in the mail. Interesting about the extra plastic block, as the I got has three pieces and I had a feeling there was some piece missing. The video on You Tube showed a lot more then 3 pieces to fix the headlamp. If this turns out to be one of those maybe I can or can't fix it I am going to bit the bullet and buy a new headlight, I got the parts department at the dealer to discount the part to $861.00 from over a thousand.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch! For that price, I would hope for self-installing, not just self-leveling.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:42 PM

I just got the repair kit in the mail this afternoon I am going to take some pics of it and post and see what the consensus is of these pieces. I don't see how these can fix the headlight as I have a broken plastic (white) bar that is broken off the adjustment wheel inside the high beam housing When I move the bottom piece which broke off both the high beam and HID move up and down. So I don't see how these items will fix that.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Unhappy Hid

Originally Posted by Kassaq
Ouch! For that price, I would hope for self-installing, not just self-leveling.
The service guy estimated the labor at around $200 plus, as the front bumper cover has to come off and then the headlight can be removed. He also thought that perhaps the fender might have to come off, but changed his mind and said no just the bumper cover