Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID upgrade

Good afternoon

My 2004 2.5 manual X type drivers side headlamp bulb blew (Low beam) so i replaced it with a Sylvania Silver star bulb it lasted all of 30 seconds and blew
Must be that voltage spike the forums talk about. Replacing it with a cheap $5.99 wagner H1will seehow long it lastsI am
going to upgrade to HID headlamps on the Low beam side as the lights on the Jag are very poor to say the least. Iknow there is a lot of info on the FAQ,S as i have read most of them . Just wanted a reply from someone in the US who has bought the HID kit on line (how much ?) and from which website?. What kind of experience you had good or bad? and who any of you would recommend
Isee alot of info on the one website called mydepot.com . Any info would be helpful beforeI make a purchase.I will follow the installation notes on the FAQ section as it looks pretty straight forward
Read the forums every day the information is the best.

Thank you in advance

John.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: HID upgrade

I hear good and bad. MPO (my personal opinion) is that i would not not mess with the lights. I've seen the HID kit, they look nice, but I've heard bad problems after the fact, melted wires, blowing fuses, plastic melted....etc.....

You need to understand that your electrical system, wires, plastic trim around lights and light housing are designed to handle 55 watts. Adding anything over that is asking for trouble.

If you want HID, find a jaguar that has it from the factory and see if you can get the complete kit.

But, like i said that's MPO

Old 10-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Voltage spike? What voltage spike?
A voltage spike that selectively chooses to blow the driver's side
bulb? That makes no sense. Sounds like you got a bad connector
on that side.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 392 Likes on 289 Posts

i was

Name:  ttt006.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  49.5 KB

born in birmingham ...then moved to the us i bought my hids for $71dollars about 35 quid ive had mine for years they last so long...i have the 8000k iceburg blue in my fogs and headlights

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  ttt003.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  28.1 KB

Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 PM

Hi dennis

I also was born in the Uk moved over here in 1990.
Your Jag looks Great
Where did you buy the HIDs from .

Old 10-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 392 Likes on 289 Posts

i bought them from ebay ...go to ebay motors ...type in hid kit 8000k then you will see a ton of them mine were (us seller) but make sure it says iceburg blue ...you want h1 8000k....they are making some witch look pinkish make sure it says ********iceburg blue******* go down the list till you find it ...these kit last a long time...if your going to do your fogs take your time ....you have do a fabricating to fit the hids in there...the headlights are easy

Name:  100_0192.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  66.9 KB

Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: JagXV6

Voltage spike? What voltage spike?
A voltage spike that selectively chooses to blow the driver's side
bulb? That makes no sense. Sounds like you got a bad connector
on that side.
Actually if you read up a bit you'll find that for some reason light bulbs blow quite easily when the car is initally started or you initially turn the lights on. I had multiple sets of sylvania silverstars in my headlights before I said screw it. I also tried the xenon ultrawhite BS bulbs and to my surprise they didn't work either!

One thing I did notice between the sylvania normal halogens was that the filament was much thicker than those of any other form of bulb.

I used a mydepot hid kit on my car and loved the look. All of the incidences of things melting, harnesses being ruined were with the stock bulbs and all stock wiring. I didn't have any form of problems with my hids except the occasional left or right ballast didn't want to work upon initial startup with the automatic headlights on. This only occurred when I was in the Michigan cold and only developed at the end of winter. I paid little for the kit and you'll pay even less now for the same kit.

The next decision you need to make is the K you want for the kit. Mine was a 6k kit.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

the melted clips and plastic occur with stock bulbs or "painted" bulbs. The HID's run on a lower watt. and use less power so you won't have any of those issues. the 8k is just a little to blue and "fast and furious" looking for me. I went with the 6k and could not have been happier. if light output is your main reason for getting the HID kit, remember the higher the K the less light it produces. so a 8K would produce less light out put then a 6K bulb. I think stock HID's are 4300k or something like that. see my pic below. I put 6K HID's in the headlights and fog lights. Don't forget you will want to get 2 194 white led bulbs for the inner city lights.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with everyone above about the HID's. I used a 8000K Kit for both my main & fogs from Outdoor Equipments on Ebay. Dennis Black is right, you have to fabricate the fog lights.

Here are some pics:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...01_45_full.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...01_44_full.jpg

Old 10-14-2008, 03:26 PM

Thank you Aquill 1 for your input I knew some one else had an issue with Sylvania Silverstars headlamp bulbs

I am going to order HIDs this weektired of not been able to see in the Dark.

Thank you

Old 10-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

The important part is you learn your lesson sooner rather than later. I battled with bulbs in my car for probably 6 months or longer actually now that I think of it was over a year! I tried special ordering bulbs and anything that would improve until I talked my wife into the hids. The good part about changing these bulbs is you realize exactly how to deal with installing the hids when you do it. I have some pics of the mydepot hid kit and after install but I'm sure there is a thread or faq with an in-depth install instructions (if you think you are going to have a problem installing.)

Click on the picture below and once the page loads click the right arrow to view more pics...

Old 10-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

on my 05 there was no fabrication necessary on the fogs. they took H11's I think. You might be able to do your fogs on the 04 with no fabrication. Check to see what size bulbs it takes.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:55 AM

Hi Everyone

Started my installation on the HID on my 04 jag already a issue. Cannot seem to find where the Ballast connects too

Do you have a thread for installation for the 04 Jag it has H1 bulbs fitted.
The instruction in the kit are not to clear.
Thanks
John.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the FAQs section.Several members have done the install, the info is on here lots of places. Its just a matter of finding the posts.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_24056/tm.htm

Old 10-18-2008, 01:19 PM

Thank you queenmb

For a link to the posts that has answered my questions now ican get back to completing the installation .

The whole plug and play thing was throwing me offthe instructions should have said Splice and play.

Thanks again

This forum is the Best.

John.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Youre very welcome. Good luck. [sm=signs003.gif]Post your after pics when youre done so we can see and learn from your experience.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Glad you got it figured out Jmac I emailed you soon as I saw you needed help. Sorry I couldn't help sooner. Make sure you get some before/after pics on here! Let us know what you think!

What brand did you end up going with? Price? Kelvin?

Old 10-18-2008, 05:16 PM

Just got it completed they look awesome The job is not to bad to do as long as you take your time and have extremely small hand for the Passenger side. Went with the 6000k froma company called Zentec out of California they were $76.39 delivered on E bay They got here to Kentucky in 2 days fast shipper . Nowi will change the inner bulbs out tomorrow as they are real yellow looking.

Thank youfor all the responses and offers of help.

John.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey! What part of KY?
Finally, someone else who lives here!

I've done HIDs in my lights/fogs, so if you have any trouble I'd be glad to lend a hand. Check the FAQ thread/my old posts and you'll see some of the project I've been into. There aren't threads on all of them, but I've done plenty of suspension work, motor/trans work, cosmetic stuff, the works.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear you got it all taken care of. I'll hit you up when I'm able to buy some for my mountaineer, I'd like to try an alternative to mydepot but didn't know another one existed!

And anytime that's what this forum is for!

BTW...
[sm=ttiwwp.gif][sm=ttiwwp.gif]
[sm=ttiwwp.gif][sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Quick Reply: HID upgrade