X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High beams for my X-Type

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 03:37 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default High beams for my X-Type

I’ve searched the forum for information, but come up empty. I’d like to put brighter lights in the high beams in my 2002X Type. My HID low beams (dip) are much brighter than my current H1 Halogen bulbs.
I’m thinking of replacing them with 50w LED 6000k bulbs.
Has anyone have success with upgrading to led in place halogen in the high beams and fogs?

Old 12-14-2022, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,812 Likes on 728 Posts

These two post might be of some help.
Internal wiring of the headlights can get cooked if you use higher powered bulbs....discussed in the first thread below.

Post #6
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ghting-259125/
Post #4
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...hoices-246548/

Old 12-15-2022, 06:35 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,841 Likes on 3,158 Posts

RBaczek, 3 points about what you are contemplating: 1) the 50W HIDs are illegal in all 50 states and for the most part in all parts of the world. You want to install them for good night time vision when out in the middle of no where by yourself, go for it. You use it where someone is coming head on to you, I think you are going to find someone that is going to have some choice words for you. 2), you cannot directly wire 50W HID bulbs to the factory wiring. The starting surge for HIDs is high. For 50W HIDs, it is around 40 amps per bulb (so, 80 amp surge). Your high beam wiring maxes out at about 15 amps. Will the lights light, maybe. Keep in mind that HIDs need a high starting voltage (ie, 12.6 VDC or higher). You start pulling 80 amps through your factory wiring, the voltage drop is going to be excessive and the HIDs may not light at all. So, this means you are going to have to wire a new circuit in your car that is going to consist of a high power relay, some fairly beefy wiring (going to need 14 gauge wiring more than likely for the main power lead between the battery and the power into the ballast for the HID). There are kits out there that will be pre-made for you for this vary project. You would simply use the positive wire from the high beams to trigger the relay and then you have a new wire running straight from the battery to the relay. 3) the high beams do not have a focusing mechanism (ie, that glass ball you see in the low beams). That glass ball focuses the light and shoots it all straight forward. The high beam lamp does not have that and with HIDs, that is going to cause the light to go many different directions. Yes, you will probably get a better forward light, but you are going to be loosing a lot of light to the side (hence why on coming drivers are going to hate you if you leave them on and why most states ban the 50 watt bulbs and in general, HID bulbs in non-focuses housings).

I will assist you in doing this with the technical side of things. Not super hard, but do plan on removing the front bumper and the headlight housings.

Old 12-15-2022, 09:59 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default LED

Thermo, thank for the information. I think people misunderstood what I was asking. I’m not wanting to add HID to my high beams, I’m wanting to replace the halogen H1 bulbs with 50w LED H1 bulbs. I’m asking if there were issues with the length of the LED bulbs at 71mm versus the 62mm halogen, and the higher temps of the LED (with or without fans). And the question of do I need LED bulbs with or without fans. Thanks in advance

Old 12-15-2022, 11:04 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,841 Likes on 3,158 Posts

RBaczek, Gotcha. As for fins/no fins, FINS!!!!!!!! End of story. You get no fins, those bulbs are going to burn out in no time flat. Heat is the enemy of electronics like LEDs and running 50 watts of heat in each bulb, you are going to cook things if you don't have proper cooling.

As for fitting in the housing, what I have read from others that have done what you are after, you are going to end up cutting up the back housing cover to make room for everything. As for a fan, I would recommend it, but not necessary if you have a decent fin setup.

Wiring wise, you should be good.

As for color, this is where I am going to give a bit of feedback. You would probably be better off going with say 4300K vice 6000K. I say this because the LED lights do not seem to reflect back as well as say a halogen or HID bulb does. Yes, they output some serious light, but from what I have seen, what is coming back at you for you to see is not that impressive. The more yellow light of the 4300K is going to help in the reflection and you being able to see more stuff.