Sponsored by:

LED Headlights – My take

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 663 Likes on 326 Posts
Default LED Headlights – My take

2005 XK8 - ‘Base Convertible”

As most people here, I felt the light output was seriously lacking.

My car initially came with halogen high and low beams.

So

my first step was to replace the bulbs with higher output halogen bulbs. Unfortunately no love for me as they added very little output.

(maybe it is my old eyes, I dunno)

Then…

I replaced the low beams with an aftermarket xenon package that made the low beams great and for my driving no more improvement was needed in that area.

I tend to drive sort of fast on back country roads and when the sun drops I really need either better lighting or to slow down.

I went with Billy Price’s recommendation for high output LED hi-beams. They are super bright but when installed their output was too high and it was blinding oncoming traffic…so, I pulled the assembly apart and modified the reflector to point down a little. The outcome was acceptable for in town driving. Last week I intentionally went out in the dark on some country roads and realized that the LED Hi beam intensity was causing the light to ‘scatter’ resulting in a very bright lighted area but one that was not as ‘deep’ as the hi output halogens I had previously installed.

In order to fulfill my vision needs/desires I have decided to purchase some xenon Hi beams and try again.

I love the LED backup lights and the LED trunk lights but for me, the LED HI beams don’t work so well. If I only drove in an urban area the LEDs would be my choice. Since I hit the back roads with critters everywhere they don’t cut the mustard.

YMMV

jn

The following 3 users liked this post by wymjym:
bcprice36 (10-13-2019), Johnken (10-12-2019), michaelh (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Jn. Great review. Mind if I ask something that's puzzling me? Do you normally drive against oncoming traffic with hi beams on? How else can hi beams blind on coming traffic?

Not trying to put you on the spot, just wondering. Usually I'd think to myself "since I never use hi beams if a car approaches, who cares how bright it is."

Thanks, John

The following users liked this post:
XK8 Comfort (10-16-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 663 Likes on 326 Posts

funny,

no I don't run with hi beams on all the time but the lights were pointing hi enough that as I might round a corner (this isn't in a dense city local) and see lights coming the angle + intensity oft times illuminated the other drivers face even though the hi beams were killed several milliseconds earlier.

Also, as eyes age their elasticity lessens and they do not react as quickly to lighting changes, meaning that older folks are momentarily 'blinded' by these lights.

jn

Johnken (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Thanks! I understand.

John

Old 10-13-2019, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb Jose, can you see?

Originally Posted by Johnken
Thanks! I understand.

John
Here in Texas, John, we grew-up using our dimmer-switch....It's pretty much the same today even on the Freeways. So basically the low-beams, which are the HID Lights, that on-coming Traffic sees...……..It's called being polite....Out here the Roads are long and pretty straight and as you travel down them you can see several miles ahead in some places...You can actually pick-out which Cars meeting you have Halogen and which ones have LED/HID because they are so much Whiter/Brighter....We still have a bunch of Yellow ones also but each year it is getting Whiter out there..

.My XKR came with HID Lower Beams/Halogen High Beams and as my Friend from Austin told you above, I have replaced the Halogens with LED High Beams also....Like him, I wasn't real happy about the HID's that came in "Sugar", so last year, I changed-out the Ballast and both HID Bulbs with Osram HID Cool Blue Intense 6000K . They cost about $75.00 each and are a good bit Brighter....Which solved my Low Beam Problem....Currently, I have been working on my High Beam Problems, which were the same as our Friend from Austin.. The XKR's High Beam has a Reflector, which if the Light from the Bulb is not hitting it in the prescribed place, will scatter the Light all over! I've been looking for "the right Bulb"

LED Brights and HID Low-Beams
to solve this placement problem. I found one and ordered it but it took these Guys (2) Months to deliver it and then it was to big for the XKR. Sent it back and they have not replaced nor have they refunded me....So, I am still looking for the correct Bulb! When I find it I will let you Guys know all the details. Placement of the Light source is the answer to our High Beam reflectors….It must be in the same exact location as the Halogen Bulbs Light Source for it to work correctly...If not, it will scatter the Light! I don't use the High Beams much, so it isn't a priority but I think I have found one! but still looking…..

I'm still working on the Tail Lights and have now found the proper amount of resistance to get me Blinkers to work without turning on the "Bulb-out warning on the Dash"! and I think I have the right idea to keep the Warning Light off on the outside Brake/Rear Light (1157) dual Bulb. That is coming within the Month!

Remember when the Dimmer Switch was on the Floor? Boy! We have come a long way in the past 50 years...….

Billy Clyde in Houston

Johnken (10-16-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I have a 2003 XKR. I looked at the various options and originally was going to go for LED headlights. However after reading lots of reviews I plumped for HID instead. Fiddly but easy to fit. The difference was night and day, no pun intended. Here have a read.......... Click here to read

Its one of the best mods on the car I have done. Before this if I had the headlamps on full beam the other drivers coming the other way rarely flashed asking me to dip. Now with these new HID lights I get reminders every time I forget to dip. When driving along country roads it makes a huge difference.