XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 01:47 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default LED Replacement?

In Europe not legal or available but in the US: LED replacements from Philips, Osram etc.
Does american Jag Driver use these Bulbs?
Do they fit the Jaguar X100/XK8? and what do you think is it worth to change?

Thanks - Daniel

Old 10-05-2018, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,348 Likes on 725 Posts

High beams? Possibly, but since they are not on a projector, you will blind other drivers and scatter light in a weird pattern. Low beams? You could get away with it on the cars with the halogen projectors. On the cars with HIDs it is best to replace your Xenon bulbs with new ones from Osram and maybe the ballast if it is burned out.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:34 AM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I've converted my XK and VDP to LED as far as possible. If you just spend the time to get the reflector based beams proper on the sedans, you won't have any problem. Took a bit to get it right and I've got them aimed low, but it is bright enough to compensate. I've had a friend drive it oncoming towards me in his car and it's fine.

For the XK, I went with a brand called Hikari. Yes, I had to cut a clean hole in each low beam housing cover for the LED to breathe and yes it can get moisture in there sometimes - I keep it garaged but I've also left it out for days and the moisture is minimal and burns right off. A lot of the failures I've seen with the cheapbay bulbs is the fans get wet and lock up, so unless you're moving the light will turn off and on. I've had zero issues with the 10,000RPM Hikari bulbs. They are great! High beams are converted too, but they are high beams, so I don't expect to keep them on and blind people anyways when I've got oncoming. No point in not benefiting from that if I know better to go back to low beam with oncoming. Fog lights are Sylvania Silverstar's to help penetrate the wet roads beter, as LED can struggle with that.

I've converted the front and side parking bulbs to Sylvania "super bright" LEDs. License plate lights are Sylvania "super bright" LED as well - this is one of my favorite parks because it just looks good. Reverse lights are brighter than the sun with a set of "Pilot" LED bulbs from WalMart. I like the color they produce. The rear fogs are a great deterrent, as they are Sylvania ZEVO LED's. These things are very, very bright. Of course, I haven't spent the effort to glue some resistors on for the brake lights, so they are standard.

Total conversion in the interior - looks awesome. If you use anything other than the little Sylvania bulbs in the overhead console, they will not fit and you will not have a good time. Same for the floorboard lights.

For the VDP, oh my my. This car still holds that classic look with a very aggressive looking light setup. The low beams and high beams light up the whole east coast - again, without blinding you. Hikari's on this car as well with the 10K fans. I had 3 sets of LED failures with the cheapbay bulbs on this car - did not have a failure with the cheapbays on the XK. Sylvania super brights on the license plate and side markers. Total walmart "Pilot" conversion for the interior. Sylvania Zevo's for the rear fogs and Silverstar's for the front fogs, again to help penetrate wet roads.

LED errrrrthang all day. It is so much better when you spend the $$ and effort to get it right versus throwing bulbs at the car. It was a bit expensive in the end, but so worth it.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by p-Rock
I've converted my XK and VDP to LED as far as possible. If you just spend the time to get the reflector based beams proper on the sedans, you won't have any problem. Took a bit to get it right and I've got them aimed low, but it is bright enough to compensate. I've had a friend drive it oncoming towards me in his car and it's fine.

For the XK, I went with a brand called Hikari. Yes, I had to cut a clean hole in each low beam housing cover for the LED to breathe and yes it can get moisture in there sometimes - I keep it garaged but I've also left it out for days and the moisture is minimal and burns right off. A lot of the failures I've seen with the cheapbay bulbs is the fans get wet and lock up, so unless you're moving the light will turn off and on. I've had zero issues with the 10,000RPM Hikari bulbs. They are great! High beams are converted too, but they are high beams, so I don't expect to keep them on and blind people anyways when I've got oncoming. No point in not benefiting from that if I know better to go back to low beam with oncoming. Fog lights are Sylvania Silverstar's to help penetrate the wet roads beter, as LED can struggle with that.

I've converted the front and side parking bulbs to Sylvania "super bright" LEDs. License plate lights are Sylvania "super bright" LED as well - this is one of my favorite parks because it just looks good. Reverse lights are brighter than the sun with a set of "Pilot" LED bulbs from WalMart. I like the color they produce. The rear fogs are a great deterrent, as they are Sylvania ZEVO LED's. These things are very, very bright. Of course, I haven't spent the effort to glue some resistors on for the brake lights, so they are standard.

Total conversion in the interior - looks awesome. If you use anything other than the little Sylvania bulbs in the overhead console, they will not fit and you will not have a good time. Same for the floorboard lights.

For the VDP, oh my my. This car still holds that classic look with a very aggressive looking light setup. The low beams and high beams light up the whole east coast - again, without blinding you. Hikari's on this car as well with the 10K fans. I had 3 sets of LED failures with the cheapbay bulbs on this car - did not have a failure with the cheapbays on the XK. Sylvania super brights on the license plate and side markers. Total walmart "Pilot" conversion for the interior. Sylvania Zevo's for the rear fogs and Silverstar's for the front fogs, again to help penetrate wet roads.

LED errrrrthang all day. It is so much better when you spend the $$ and effort to get it right versus throwing bulbs at the car. It was a bit expensive in the end, but so worth it.
Can you upload a picture of the interior with the LED lights on? I would like to see what it looks like.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:33 AM

Last edited by p-Rock; 10-05-2018 at 10:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member

That looks very nice, what size LED bulbs did you use for the interior?

Have you also upgraded the dashboard lights?

p-Rock (10-06-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 09:25 PM

Thanks man!

I haven't upgraded the IP but I sure want too! I've seen a few on here and it made me

If my upload for the bulbs dont work I will fix that. But I used 194 Sylvania and the 194 Pilot. The sylvania is more natural and the pilots have that 6500k blue-er hue to it.

If my upload worked, see the size difference between the two? The XK really didnt like how tall the pilots were in the overhead and floorboard

Last edited by p-Rock; 10-06-2018 at 09:30 PM.
giandanielxk8 (10-06-2018)