XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flip Out Stereo Screen Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Flip Out Stereo Screen Installed

Hey all, just thought I would post a thread of my new head unit I just had installed in the XK8 and so far its exactly what I was hoping for ..The gear shifter DOES get in the way of the screen when its folding in and out if the cars in park but at least to me it's not a big deal because you can just leave the screen in or out and it will still function. In case anyone is wondering I used the XJ bezel ($70) and trim piece ($50), labor "because I'm not electrically inclined" ($300), and the stereo is a Kenwood KVT-7012bt ($400). The car also has the premium sound package so in order for the sub to fire up with the new headunit, i needed a new amp as well. If I knew it was going to end up costing this much I Probably would have held off for a while but all in all couldn't be happier with the results.

Last edited by GGG; 08-20-2018 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Edit typo in thread title
Old 08-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Received 4,182 Likes on 3,645 Posts

nice - but it would bug the heck out of me as it interferes with the AC & switch pack but looks nice

Old 08-10-2016, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
nice - but it would bug the heck out of me as it interferes with the AC & switch pack but looks nice
I'm hoping it won't turn into a hassle. When I'm driving I'll just have to close the screen to manipulate the AC controls etc. I'm just happy that this can be done without the actual radio turning off

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (08-11-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 07:53 PM
Received 285 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Looks nice!

Excellent... enjoy!!! Upgrading my sound system was one of the best choices I made... it's like I am driving a completely different car because now the stereo system sounds as nice as the car looks

Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 PM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Why manipulate the climate controls? It's automatic, set the temp and leave it alone most of the year! I use 2 buttons, auto and front defrost all year.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by blindside
Excellent... enjoy!!! Upgrading my sound system was one of the best choices I made... it's like I am driving a completely different car because now the stereo system sounds as nice as the car looks
Agree completely! With the upgraded head unit the stock alpine speakers can now be heard at thier true potential

Old 08-10-2016, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by grantorino62
Why manipulate the climate controls? It's automatic, set the temp and leave it alone most of the year! I use 2 buttons, auto and front defrost all year.
Exactly, sometimes I like to use the fog lights (obviously also covered by the screen) but honestly I don't think it will really be too much of a pain ...especially when comparing it to how the stock head unit was, I think it's a pretty fair trade off

Old 08-11-2016, 03:11 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KayScotts
Hey all, just thought I would post a thread of my new head unit I just had installed in the XK8 and so far its exactly what I was hoping for ..The gear shifter DOES get in the way of the screen when its folding in and out if the cars in park but at least to me it's not a big deal because you can just leave the screen in or out and it will still function. In case anyone is wondering I used the XJ bezel ($70) and trim piece ($50), labor "because I'm not electrically inclined" ($300), and the stereo is a Kenwood KVT-7012bt ($400). The car also has the premium sound package so in order for the sub to fire up with the new headunit, i needed a new amp as well. If I knew it was going to end up costing this much I Probably would have held off for a while but all in all couldn't be happier with the results.
Hi,

Do you have part numbers or links for the parts you purchased?

Last edited by mrobinson; 08-11-2016 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:01 AM

Yes I can get them for you, I'm at work right now but will get them on here as soon as I get home.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Kay, I love it, does the screen extend automatically ? I think you said all is OK when the shifter is in the way but I can't help but remember the story about the poor guy who placed his smartphone in the speedometer cone (fits perfectly while driving) but forgot the steering wheel auto retracts when key is removed. Yes, the phone was pushed through the entire speedometer assembly.

So this question is both inquisitive (wondering how the screen works) and allegorical (that sure looks like a convenient place for a cell phone but...).

Your system Looks really nice, I'm jealous. John

Last edited by Johnken; 08-11-2016 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by mrobinson
Hi,

Do you have part numbers or links for the parts you purchased?
Alright so the parts you'll want/need: First is a din from an earlier model XJ that will allow you to fit an aftermarket headunit of your choice which can be found at nexxia here Jaguar XJ Radio Fascia Adaptor

If your XK8 is newer than I believe 1997 you will also need a whole new bezel in the car from a 1997 XK8, without this the XJ din will NOT fit in the post '97 models (I made the mistake at first in thinking all I needed in my '00 was the XJ din) the part number is LJA6318AB. I got mine from a Jaguar supplier on ebay selling them new here: Jaguar 1997 XK8 Front Console Switch Bezel LJA6318AB | eBay

As far as headunits, the choice is yours but if your intrested in the flip out screen I opted for its a Kenwood KVT-7012bt. They cost about $350-400. And my advice is there are cheaper "off brand" alternative flip out screen stereos but I only read bad reviews on them..Go for the Kenwood I went with or the Pioneers are supposedly good too.

Just a few side notes, my steering wheel controls do NOT function anymore which I know for some is a deal breaker but I know if you do some research, there are ways to get them to function with the new head unit. Also as far as a wiring harness, the place I had do the work for me were able to wire it without one (or maybe they made one?) so there are ways around not buying the harness. One last thing, if you have the premium sound package like I did, you will need a new amplifier to get the subwoofer to fire up with the new headunit.

Thats pretty much it, good luck if your planning on doing the install. You won't regret it!

mrobinson (08-12-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Kay, I love it, does the screen extend automatically ? I think you said all is OK when the shifter is in the way but I can't help but remember the story about the poor guy who placed his smartphone in the speedometer cone (fits perfectly while driving) but forgot the steering wheel auto retracts when key is removed. Yes, the phone was pushed through the entire speedometer assembly.

So this question is both inquisitive (wondering how the screen works) and allegorical (that sure looks like a convenient place for a cell phone but...).

Your system Lokal really nice, I'm jealous. John
Oh man, I haven't heard that story! Okay so basically, by "default" settings on the Kenwood (I don't know about the other brand flip out radios), the screen will NEVER open or close without you physically pushing the open/close button. So in other words, the screen won't automatically open or close when turning the car on and off which is good for us because the shifter IS in the way when the car is in park. It really doesn't become a problem though because like I said when you turn off the car the screen will stay how you left it. Also if your driving and for example the windshield starts fogging up and you need to get to the
AC controls, you can close the screen and the music/radio WON'T stop playing which is something to take note of because other wise it would be a huge hassle to get to the AC controls but because of the way the radio functions, this isn't a problem. Hope this helps!

Last edited by KayScotts; 08-11-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Johnken (08-11-2016)
Old 08-20-2018, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Scott great installation. Trying to do the same on my XK8 97 can You advise me .

Hi Scot. Trying to install a single din flip out on my 1997 .XK8 convertible.
need the installation brackets and face plate. Can You please advise where I can find them.
Tnx.
Stefan

Old 08-24-2018, 07:55 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks great.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:07 AM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KayScotts
if you have the premium sound package like I did, you will need a new amplifier to get the subwoofer to fire up with the new headunit.
As a new X100 owner looking to do something similar — why is this? Are you adding an amp, or replacing the old one?

Old 08-24-2018, 12:30 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Went Double DIN Instead

I tried that but the screen would hit the gear shift lever when it deployed if the car was in park. Annoyed me too much so remoted the switches into the glove box and went Double DIN instead (went a little crazy with the new Amp in the trunk).

Double DIN

Glove Box Switches

Old 08-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stefan Trajani
Hi Scot. Trying to install a single din flip out on my 1997 .XK8 convertible.
need the installation brackets and face plate. Can You please advise where I can find them.
Tnx.
Stefan
Try here : https://incartec.co.uk/products/Jaguar/PriceDescending

The other solution I'm looking to is the Joying 1 DIN Android with seperated screen

Old 10-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Hello,

I am new to the XK8/R arena, I bought my XKR100 the week before last. I am keen to install a flip out stereo to run Apple CarPlay in my car. The incartec website has various kits for standard and premium car stereos, how do I ascertain which stereo I have?

Thanks,
Nick

Old 10-05-2018, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Nick, standard does not have the supertweeter in the black "sail" position at front of doors next to window. (Called sail because of shape)

premium has amplifier in trunk too. Amp is on rack above cd changer.

I can't recall any other obvious differences.

John

Old 10-06-2018, 02:54 AM
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Hi John,

The car does have tweeters on the triangular part of the doors but they don’t have Alpine (?) badge.

Regarding the amp in the boot is it visible or behind a panel?

Thanks
Nick

Quick Reply: Flip Out Stereo Screen Installed