X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch rolling sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 04:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitch rolling sound

Hey guys, i got a noise coming from front middle. Its a high pitch spinning sound that comes up after i drive for about 2 mins. It goes along with the car speed either fast or slow and only stops as brakes are applied. Once i start driving again it comes back. Ive read all the threads on prop shaft center bearing and t.c. but the noises described doesnt sound like the noise im having. The noise follows as the wheels are spinning. When i brake it gets slower as i accelerate it gets faster but pitch is same... thanks guys auto trans

Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

If you have access to a lift get under the car with someone in the drivers seat, put it in drive and have them bring the car to 20-30mph see if you can pinpoint the noise.

careful of moving parts !!!! You will get a check engine light as the wheels will be spinning out of sync.
hopefully its a wheel bearing.
If you find its the transfer case
check the level of fluid in you Transfer case.
best way to do this is follow the procedure to change the fluid (not a bad idea anyway).
let us know if the sound goes away.
I have a feeling the bearings may be going in the transfer case.
not a hard job to do just time consuming, did mine on the driveway.

The following users liked this post:
shiguy (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not have access to lift. I went ahead changed transfer case fluid and greased prop shaft center bearing. Sound still there. Thanks for the advice though paul. Is there a thread on changing the bearing in the t.c.?

Old 10-25-2014, 07:05 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

2ea. P/N HM88510 (bearing race, NTN brand)
1ea. P/N HM88542 (tapered roller bearing, NTN brand)
1ea. P/N HM88547 (tapered roller bearing, NTN brand)

these are the parts you will need.

Jack up the front of the car chock the wheels and place on jack stands( obvious i know be safe!!! )

remove the prop shaft from the Transfer case and slide it out the way,

this exposes a nut on the TC remove this nut counting the number of turns this is the nut that preloads the bearings (i found mine was way to tight hence the bearing failure) best thing to do is when the bearings put RTV gasket on the threads tighten this nut while spinning the shaft and stop when you feel the bearings start to bind then back off 1/2 turn.

remove the lower engine mount that is attached to a bracket on the TC.

now for the fun !!!

the bracket on the right of the TC where the engine mount attached goes up under the exhaust this is a royal pain to get to so what i did is...

cut off the bolt flush with the bracket using a small hacksaw (wish i had my dremel then )

carefully bend the bracket over the bolts i just cut
now remove the 4 bolts holdin the TC (oil will come out so have something to catch it)

now you have the shaft that holds the two bearings.

you may have to find a shop that can press the bearings off and press on you new bearings I am lucky that i have access to a 20Ton press at work.

When replacing the bolts you cut off take the bolts you removed to the parts store and find a replacement with Nuts.
file or drill the threads out of the nuts these are going to be spacers so the bracket sits in the correct position.

pic of bearing puller you need have fun take your time and tap the allenwrench you use with a hammer when you remove the propshaft to help them break free make sure you wrench is in there tight

Attached Thumbnails High pitch rolling sound-puller.jpg  

Last edited by Paulc732; 10-25-2014 at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
shiguy (10-26-2014)