X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Pitch Whine

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High Pitch Whine

Seems like lately, now that it's cold, I have a high pitched whine (vacuum sounding) from the engine that gets higher as I accelerate and whines down as I slow. It almost sounds like suction/vacuum. It does seem to go away after I drive for a while.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: High Pitch Whine

I've heard the same thing in mine ('02 / 2.5 / 5-spd)
I've been thinking it's a harmonic frequency getting a resonating siren out of something... but as you say, it goes away when it warms-up.
I'm not horribly concerned yet, as it's clearly not mechanical, like a diff or t-case or something.... but it IS very disconcerting 'cuz it sometimes sounds like a siren!

Old 12-15-2008, 03:44 PM

You said it well as a siren sound. First time I heard it I thought the "noon" tornado siren was sounding in the distance.

If anybody knows what this sound really is, I still have warranty but would rather go in to describe to them what the sound is as well as a suggestion of what it might be coming from.

THanks.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

It's the driveshaft. In order to fix the problem you need to replace the entire shaft, as the components are not servicable.*
Price from the dealer is about $1,000. It's been discussed here many times before. You may want to search the forum for some of the threads, but the problem is the driveshaft.

*Some have had some success by injecting grease into the bearing(s) by penetrating the rubber around them with a larger hypodermic needle that can be fitted to a standard grease gun. These needles are available as at auto parts store.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:13 PM

Thanks 310jag. I'll take it into the dealership this week while it's cold andmaking the soundeveryday. I'm assuming it'll be covered as it's a certified used and has full warranty for another 30K.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Good thing you've got a warranty. You have to be careful because the sound is so hit and miss, and usually goes away after the car has been driven for a mile or so.
Don't let them jerk you around, either. This is extremely common.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 PM

huh!
I didn;t know that! You just saved me some rootin' around! Thanks 310jag!
Interestingly; I noticed the driveshaft had a slight 'wobble / rattle' to it today while I was under the car at the alignment shop. I was going to look into new driveshaft bearings.....but I happen to own a couple of different size needles for my grease gun..... so I'll start there and see what I get!
Thanks again!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this might be the same problem I am having with my X-type - Just throwing it out there would the wobble in the propshaft cause a shake of the car at highway speeds ?

Cheers,

S. Chapman

Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 PM

Chapman2424

I doubt the propeller shaft whine will cause the wobble at highway speeds. It the prop shaft were out of balance I would think the problem would occur all the time. Your problem sounds like a tire with a bad belt (just my opinion). My 04 started to shake the wheel real bad between 55-60 real bad. I jacked up the car and I had a tire with a belt that split through the rubber. Granted mine was an extreme case. My suggestion is to have have the tires checked for balance.

It could also be something as simple as a build up of snow in the rims. I am not sure where you live but here in Chicago this will happen in winter on a regular basis. For some reason my X-Type likes to hold the snow in her paws, er I mean wheels. My cure it to hit the car wash on my way home. Gee, maybe she is just telling me to keep her cleaner.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I had a hit or miss whine at one point. So I took the car to the dealer (under warranty) in the evening, parked it, picked up my free loaner (love Rahal Jaguar) X type, and requested that the service tech drive the car first thing in the morning while cold to hear the whine.

He did and it did. Propshaft # 1 replaced.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:25 AM

propshaft #1; is that front or rear driveline? I had assumed it was the rear, as that seems to be where my noise is coming....

Old 12-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, I mean my FIRST replacement prop shaft, as in the job has been done more than once. Not indicating there are seperate shafts with numbers. My bad.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:29 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

So the problem was actually the center support bearing..Correct?..they throw in the prop shafts for good measure..Seriously, it's a shame you have to get the whole ensemble for just needing the bearing.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Yep

Old 12-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Chapman, there are two TSBs which I don't have in front of me today, that dealt with drive shaft "wooble". One was pre '04 where a weight needed to be added at the rear diff to make it go away and specific complaint was that it didn't "wobble" until about 70 mph, and the other involves disconnecting the prop shaft, rotating it 180 degrees and then re-installing it. The later could be on '02s to '05s? Brutal may have an idea.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had success with injecting some synthetic grease to stop the whining when it is cold out.

No more warranty so a grand is not a feasable option for me. I have never experienced any vibrations problems though.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:33 AM
ud

Chas..Can you tell me how (what exactly did you use) and where (which side you injected) the grease?

Tanks

Old 12-21-2008, 02:29 AM

Hi Dennis, I used Mobil 1 grease (red) though I would have chosen Valvoline SynPower full synthetic grease (has lower and higher temp ratings than the Mobil 1). Standard grease gun and a grease needle (can be found at AutoZones,Advanced, O'Reilys, etc near the grease tubes and grease guns. There are two types: one that just has a ball-seat that snaps into the end of the hose nozzle and another that screws in place of the hose nozzle. I would choose the latter for a better seat and no wobbeling around. It just costs more thats all.

I injected the grease ~ 1/16"out from where the metal shaftcontacts the rubber surround (just beyond the rubber rib that runs around the rubber seal). Go in at a 45-60 degree angle and push the needle in it can go no further and start pumping (one full pump or less should do). I then try to go around doing that at the 10, 7, 5, and 2 o'clock positions. Have the car in neutral and spin the shaft by hand to help distribute the grease evenlly.

Try and clean that area well before starting. I tried inserting the needle right where the metal shaft and rubber mate but it is hard to get the needle underneath the rubber there.

Oh and be very careful to not to stab yourself with the greasy needle!!!

I hope this helps

Old 12-21-2008, 02:23 PM
ud

Thanks Buddy..it helped a lot....Was that the front end side, or rear end side..or does it matter?

Old 12-21-2008, 09:44 PM

Hey no problem! That would be the front side of the shaft.

Quick Reply: High Pitch Whine