X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a curb - blown tire, bent rim, poss other damage

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hit a curb - blown tire, bent rim, poss other damage

So last night while on the highway I almost missed my exit, and when swerving over into the exit lane last minute, I saw a median strip fast approaching and so I swerved away. I ended up catching it on the front drivers side at about 60 mph. It hit hard, tore up the tire and bent the rim. I hobbled to the side of the road and up about a 1/4 mile on the shoulder to a lit parking lot. Threw on the donut to get me home, which wasn't holding air either, and was completely flat within about 5 to 10 miles. I was about 5 more miles from home at this point and thought I could hobble along. With no fear of further damaging the rim or tire at this point, I cruised along in the shoulder at about 10 mph. After a while the tire was pretty much shredded and smoking, so I found another parking lot and called AAA for a tow home.

So now I'm looking at it, and it looks like the drivers side fender got pushed up a little out of whack. It's not perfectly line up with the hood like it used to be. It's not terrible, but it's noticeable to me. Also under the front fascia is all scraped up and it looks like the black air dam thing got ripped off. That's all cosmetic, mostly I'm concerned with frame or suspension damage.

Now it sits in the driveway on a flat donut. So my question is, should I submit a claim with my insurance? I have a $500 deductible and already priced out a new rim (stock 16" Tobago) and tire. I thought about getting the rim repaired, but I think for roughly the same price I can get a new one. I think I may want to have a shop look at it though anyway just to rule out any frame or suspension damage, but that's gonna be another tow from my house to the body shop, out of my pocket I'm assuming.

The car is in pretty great shape otherwise, and I do like it. Plus I still owe about $2500 to the bank on it.

So what would you do? Thrown in a rim and tire for $200 and call it a day, or go through the insurance and get the fender fixed, etc? I am slightly concerned about my rates going up.

It really sucks because the tires were practically new. Also, could I have done any damage to the suspension, hub, rotor, etc by driving on a completely flat tire for a few miles?

Thanks

Old 12-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

oldpunk, at this point, I would replace the rim/tire and then take it out for a drive. That will be the big test to see how things are. Start out slow and see if things appear good and as you get confidence back in the car, pick up the speeds. If there is an issue, I think you are going to find it pretty easily. As for repairing things, well, that is a hard call as I can understand not wanting to make a claim, but at the same time, it can possibly get expensive fast if there is underlying problems.

Old 12-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Driving on the flat tire should not have done damage to the hub,
the impact could be a different story though.

jack up the car and place on jack stands. now grab the donut at 3 and 9 and see what if any play you have.
I would also check your inner and outer tie rod`s ( steering rack) make sure its not bent.

Now take off the donut and have a good look at all the suspension components and see if anything looks bent or damaged.. post a few pics if you can.

I would also get an alignment as i am sure it will be out.