X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood ornament

Old 09-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Hood ornament

I hear your pain my friend. Unfortunatly, there is nothing out as a kit to repair it. You're stuck with either going on eBay and buying one complete kit and take what you need and have a spare, or buy from the dealer. Best best is to go on eBay and get what you need at a fraction of the dealer cost. Do a search for the S and X type. Both use the same size leaper. Just make sure it comes with the spring kit.

Good luck..
________
Outdoor Voyeur

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hood ornament

I just replaced mine myself this past weekend... as mine was stolen from my car a couple of moths ago. I went to a hardware store and bought the thinest steel rope (same as Jag part), a spacer, and a clamp. Bought an emblem (probably stolen) on ebay for $25. Used a small nut that would fit in the metal barrel under the emblem. You will need to remove the rubber nut under the hood to see how the assembly works (not rocket science).

Run the wires through the loop under the emblem as the stock one does. Run the wires through the emblem barrell, nut, then the spacer, and then through the clamp. Tighten the clamp all the way up as tight as possible. Smash the clamp down with a hammer. Unless you are Mr. Miyagi (RIP), you prolly won't get it as tight as you need to. So then pull on the wire clamp that should now be locked in, because now you have something to hold onto. And smach the end of the spacer down onto the rope. Hopefully the emblem is secure in the barrel now. Just put on hood and screw in the rubber nut on the inside of the hood and you're done.

Now I would like to see someone steal my emblem now[sm=forgetit.gif], her dignity is back[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Stolen Jaguar emblem on Ebay - $25
Parts from Ace Harware - $4.25
Nut (probably a left over from work on car in the past) - free
Smashing your finger when trying to tighten the clamp up as far a possible - PRICELESS, you never felt so alive[sm=chairshot.gif]