X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hooking up aftermarket head unit and amp need help with info on how to bypass factory

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hooking up aftermarket head unit and amp need help with info on how to bypass factory

I'm currently stuck and need some help trying to figure out how to bypass the factory amp in my 04 x type.. I installed a sub woofer with an amp just for the sub along I also replaced all the door speakers and have a 4 channel amp to power them the problem I'm having is im not getting any sound... any help would be really appriciated.. thank you

Old 06-29-2018, 08:45 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

If you are doing an aftermarket stereo, the easiest way to do what you are after is to simply run all new speaker wire. You are going to keep things as easy as possible and will get you better sound and more sound in the same step. The only "down side" is that it will cost you a little bit more to do. If you are set on disconnecting the plug at the amp and bypassing that way, let me know and I will see what it will take. Because you have an 04, I will need you to look in the driver's door jam and tell me when the car was built. I am really interested in whether it was built on/before March 2004 or after that.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
If you are doing an aftermarket stereo, the easiest way to do what you are after is to simply run all new speaker wire. You are going to keep things as easy as possible and will get you better sound and more sound in the same step. The only "down side" is that it will cost you a little bit more to do. If you are set on disconnecting the plug at the amp and bypassing that way, let me know and I will see what it will take. Because you have an 04, I will need you to look in the driver's door jam and tell me when the car was built. I am really interested in whether it was built on/before March 2004 or after that.
it says January 2003 I have the aftermarket head unit installed already and the sub and amp I get sound from the sub but not from the door speakers... now you say run all new speaker wires I did that and nothing.... I'm stuck not knowing where to go at this point..

Old 06-29-2018, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
Old 06-29-2018, 06:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

my1stjag, just to ask a silly question, how did you wire up the "remote wire" to the amp? This should be a small gauge wire that goes into a single wire port on the side of the amp. You should have had to do the same thing to your sub amp. This wire is what is used to turn the amps on. The problem is, the factory radio never had this wire. Your aftermarket radio does (should be a blue wire). The blue wire needs to connect to the remote input.

I guess I am used to a certain way of installing an aftermarket radio with amps. What you should have done is the back of the aftermarket radio should have had 2 sets of RCA jacks (one for the front speakers, one for the rear) What you can do is then run 2 sets of RCAs to the amps from the radio. You can then split the rear RCAs to power both the 4 channel amp (rear channels) and the sub amp. From there, you run your aftermarket speaker wires to the door speakers. There is no need to use the factory wiring. It would be severely underrated for any quality sound system pushing more power. So, the need to bypass the factory amp becomes a mute point.

Now, this is where I am getting really confused. The version of the X-Type that you have does not have a built in amp for the main speakers. The amp is built into the factory radio. The only external amp is for the subwoofers. But, that should have been completely bypassed if you did what I just mentioned. Besides, this amp has no connections to the main speakers other than inputs for the amp to pull off the sub sounds only. There are no outputs to the door speakers.