Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to paint my bummer trim

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default How-to paint my bumper trim

Hello forum,

The oem body paint arrived last week and I need to get this done. I see lots of folks painted their bumper trim but I don't see a lot of talk about it. I figure there are two DIY ways to approach it, one 1 is to remove the trim, prepare it, and paint (and/or not remove the chrome first), two 2 is prepare the trim, and paint the trim on the bumper; in which case you might want to repaint the bumper while you're at it.

Fortunately my paint is in pretty good shape overall but it has its share of small scratches. Which is to say, I have no experience painting vehicles and think it might be best to suck it up and remove the bumpers to remove the trim and do it that way. But I'm not sure if there is something in between or not.

As always, your experience or suggestions are appreciated!

Chris

Last edited by Jag4; 02-06-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Chris, when i did my bumper trim paint job, I removed the bumpers from the car and then pulled the chrome pieces from the bumper. While it may take some more time initially to pull the bumper (20 minutes per bumper), that time will be saved since you won't have to carefully mask off the bumper.

If you need more help, let me know. I painted my chrome pieces using an air brush.