X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-to: replace trunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default How-to: replace trunk

Hi guys, just finished part two of the '04 restoration. Just to recap: I came upon two heated/power seats, a trunk, and a roof panel, and figured replacing the large panels would save me serious time and/or money when it comes to fixing some hail damage. Obviously, the seats weren't part of the hail damage, but they were a serious deal, so I picked them up along with the panels from an '03 donor car off of craigslist. My seat project is at https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-heated-64668/ . Now lets start on the trunk!

First, I unloaded the roof panel and trunk, and brought the new trunk up to the garage where we would be working.

We removed the trunk liner using a small pry bar. I wish we had the proper tool for the job, but using a ton of care you can get the clips out without damaging them.

You also need a torx and phillips head screwdriver to get the liner completely out.

The wiring plugs in at the latch, so you need to remove the wires, taking care to not break the plastic clips that secure the wiring to the trunk and keep it from flopping around.

4 13mm nuts later, the trunk is off. Look at those dents! That hail storm sucked!

Replacing the wiring couldn't be easier.

Using the markings for the brackets showing where the trunk was mounted to the donor car as a guide, we put on the 4 nuts securing the trunk to the car. Surprisingly, the trunk fit perfectly the first time! Zero fine-tuning necessary.

Pop in all of the clips, 1 screw, and 2 torx bolts, and the liner is back on.

Check out the difference in trim between the '04 and '03! I didn't feel it was necessary/worth it to change any of it beyond the 2.5/3.0, but I think it wouldn't be too hard.

04:

03: