X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if I REALLY broke the headlight assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if I REALLY broke the headlight assembly?

Like apparently everyone before me, I was trying to take out the H1 bulb in my drivers side assembly when the whole reflector came loose. It seems that the lens in front of my HID is connected to the hi-beam reflector as well. How can I tell if I broke the plastic piece? I couldn't feel any broken pieces in there. I also found something online about a guy saying that it can be fixed:

Symptom:
Customer states headlight shakes/vibrates while driving.

Diagnosis:
Projector/Reflector is loose/detached inside headlight assembly.

Likely Cause:
Projector/Reflector became disconnected during high-beam bulb replacement.

Notes:
The high beam side of the Projector/Reflector inside the headlight assembly is attached by a single sliding-friction attachment point. This attachment point is located at the headlight adjustment mechanism. Anything greater than a light force applied while reconnecting the electrical plug to the high beam bulb can cause the reflector to slide off it's attachment. Any other force pushing against the back of the high beam reflector will also cause this occurrence. It is the direction of disconnect for the slide-mount.

Repair:
It is not necessary to replace the headlight assembly. It is also possible to re-attach the reflector without removal of the headlight assembly from the vehicle. (Not recommended if you have hands greater than a glove size 'Large'.) If available, it is recommended to familiarize yourself visually with the inside of a headlamp assembly that is not installed in a car prior to beginning.

1.Remove covers behind both the high beam and low beam.
2.Use one hand to locate and hold the connector behind the high beam reflector. It is located in a top offset position in direct relation to the position of the headlamp adjustment screw. The slide mount has probably rotated downward from it's correct position due to it having a ball joint on it. Rotate and hold it in the correct position to be able to slide back onto the reflector.
3.Using your other hand, hold the low beam reflector and position the reflector assembly to line-up with the high beam connector. The hand holding the connector can be used to feel when alignment is correct.
4.Continue a pulling pressure on the low beam reflector to hold the assembly against the slide mount, then release the hand holding the connector so it can be used to apply a pulling force to the back of the high beam reflector. If the connector remained lined-up correctly, you should be able to cause it to slide back onto it's mount by pulling firmly on the back of both reflectors.
5.In this situation, the connector above the low beam reflector was probably also caused to become loose. If the reflector unit still exhibits some degree of looseness, use a pulling pressure on the back of the low beam reflector (favoring the top) to tighten that upper slide connector. No alignment should be necessary to perform this step.
6.Verify firm mounting and re-attach bulb covers.
Could this fix my problem? Do I have to remove the headlight to tell if I broke it or not? Also, if I do need to remove the headlight assembly, all the bolts for the front bumper are stripped and rusted (I actually broke a corner piece of the bumper in front of the drivers wheel when trying to unscrew one rusted screw in particular). Once I get those off, where can I buy new non rusted screws/bolts that won't rust?

Old 08-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

sqenix, if you broke your headlight assembly, you would know very easily! My driver side headlight has been broken since I've bought it and it's like the backside of the headlight is completely free and not connected to anything. If I grab the back of the HID lens, I can pull the lens out of it's socket and it is very noticeable.

To remove a rusted, and stripped bolt, you are probably going to have to drill it out with a drill bit or an easy-out. If it's not too stripped yet, try using a larger size screwdriver and apply as much downward pressure on the head of the screw as you can. Once you get them out, take the bolts/screws to a hardware store and they will help you out!