X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I only have 1 Remote/Key, can I program a second?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I only have 1 Remote/Key, can I program a second?

When I bought my 2002 X Type I was only given 1 switchblade style remote/key. I just bought a new switchblade remote/key, but I was given two conflicting stories on whether I can program the second one myself. I wasn't going to try to program it until I received some confirmation one way or another. The Jaguar dealer said that he will cut the key for free, but I would have to pay $130 - $180 for programming.

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Jon

Old 05-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Ozz

Originally Posted by jonbugh
When I bought my 2002 X Type I was only given 1 switchblade style remote/key. I just bought a new switchblade remote/key, but I was given two conflicting stories on whether I can program the second one myself. I wasn't going to try to program it until I received some confirmation one way or another. The Jaguar dealer said that he will cut the key for free, but I would have to pay $130 - $180 for programming.

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Jon
What jag dealer is saying sounds right. I got a replica of my remote key for $150 last year.

I bet the programming only takes 5 mins. Some turn the key in the ignition sequence. I wish I knew.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ozz
What jag dealer is saying sounds right. I got a replica of my remote key for $150 last year.

I bet the programming only takes 5 mins. Some turn the key in the ignition sequence. I wish I knew.
Well, I know there's an ignition sequence to program the remote, but I have been told that it only works if you have two keys already and want to program more. That's what the dealer told me anyway. I've never had a key that was so difficult to a spare, so this is definitely an experience.

If anyone has any other insight I would appreciate it!

Jon

Old 05-08-2009, 10:06 PM

I have a 02 x type as well and only received one key. I called Jaguar locally (Monty Shelton in Portland Oregon) and was told by the parts department that it would cost me a total of about $420 to buy the second key with fob and have it cut and programmed. I went on Craigslist and found someone who will sell me the key, key fob and cut/program it for $180 total.... much cheaper than the dealer. I don't think I am answering your question very well I just thought I would give you what I have found out.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2009, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Yester
I have a 02 x type as well and only received one key. I called Jaguar locally (Monty Shelton in Portland Oregon) and was told by the parts department that it would cost me a total of about $420 to buy the second key with fob and have it cut and programmed. I went on Craigslist and found someone who will sell me the key, key fob and cut/program it for $180 total.... much cheaper than the dealer. I don't think I am answering your question very well I just thought I would give you what I have found out.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip. I actually bought the extra switchblade key on eBay for $99 and they included an extra plain key (no remote) for free. I'm sure if I can find someone else that can cut and program it, it'll be much cheaper. I called the local Ford dealership and they can't do it, so it looks like I'm stuck going to the Jag dealer about 45 minutes away

Old 05-09-2009, 02:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only done one remote at a time but according to the instructions I have you can program up to 4 remotes at one time. My 02 X-type also only came with one key but I have changed the remote about three times and have programmed it into the car with no problems using these instructions. The instructions came from a seller off eBay whom I've bought all my remotes from. Hope it helps. (see attachment)

Also the instructions state that it's for a 2002 X-Type. I'm not sure if all models use the same sequence, so keep that in mind if you decide to use it.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Keyless Remote Programming.pdf (4.6 KB, 4247 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by FearTheLeaper:
cherwilco (01-09-2012), gattocenzo (11-23-2012), scottieo (04-04-2012)
Old 05-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by FearTheLeaper
I've only done one remote at a time but according to the instructions I have you can program up to 4 remotes at one time. My 02 X-type also only came with one key but I have changed the remote about three times and have programmed it into the car with no problems using these instructions. The instructions came from a seller off eBay whom I've bought all my remotes from. Hope it helps. (see attachment)

Also the instructions state that it's for a 2002 X-Type. I'm not sure if all models use the same sequence, so keep that in mind if you decide to use it.
Thanks for the instructions. I'll probably do this in the Jaguar parking lot... just in case! If it works I can cancel my appointment and save a few hundred dollars. Thanks!

Old 05-09-2009, 10:45 AM

Nice! thx for the instructions! The current keyfob (the only one I have ) isnt working. I changed the battery and it still doesn't work so I am assuming its just the prgramming.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Ozz

Good luck!
Let me clarify something. I got a brandnew second key switch blade style from Hennesy Jaguar in Gwinette GA for $150 including everyting.

Who ever wanted $420 from you should be shot, then hanged.

These kind of people gives the Original dealers a bad name.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Ozz
Let me clarify something. I got a brandnew second key switch blade style from Hennesy Jaguar in Gwinette GA for $150 including everyting.

Well, Moore Jaguar here in Saint Louis quoted a hair over $500 for a new switchblade style key, cut and programmed! I told them to shove it and bought the new OEM key on eBay for $100 which also included a second free valet style key, just need to cut and program it now.

Jon

Old 05-09-2009, 10:43 PM

Well, I just got two keys programmed to my X-type. I also only received 1-key and remote. I bought 2-new remotes on Ebay, $50 each. If you have two original keys, you can program a third by yourself. The locksmith made me 2-keys and programmed them all for $200. They all work fine.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ozz

It was Monte Shelton... a authorized dealer...

Old 05-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Ozz

It was Monte Shelton... a authorized dealer...
I know man, isn't that a shame?

Old 05-16-2009, 08:00 PM

15-5-09, i just read this message, downloaded the instructions, went outside and programmed my fob on my 03 x type 2.5, it WORKED, awesome, i just saved $185 that my dealer was going to charge me! TOTALLY AWESOME1

Old 05-18-2009, 12:32 AM

I'm glad it worked. I see you mentioned it worked on your '03. That was the only thing I was worried about when I shared the instructions. If it would work on other years besides an 02 which is what they were originally for. I guess that answers that question. Anyone care to try it on an 06-08 just to be sure? LOL

Last edited by FearTheLeaper; 05-18-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:24 AM

Just wondering guys, are these instructions worthy to be in the FAQ section? Hope it can help more people.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:39 PM

Programming the key fobs/remotes is a piece of cake with the instructions in this thread.

However, new keys are a different story. You need to have two original keys if I'm not mistaken.

The locksmith I used had a computer he hooked up that gave him some codes. Now all my keys are masters and not slaves.

Please keep this in mind.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:23 PM

i payed about 600 for my key from jaguar dealer in Manhatten in NYC

Quick Reply: I only have 1 Remote/Key, can I program a second?