Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I still take the Xtype

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts
Default I still take the Xtype

We just had our XJ in for service and got a XF 3.0 as a loaner. Drove it for three days and it made me miss driving our X Type. I wish Jaguar would have gone all in with the X Type and given it an R trim option. The new XF fits just like the XType interior wise, but it's so freaking long. It's a fine car, but it doesn't handle as well in and out of a corner and the 8 speed transmission is boring in D and too skittish and unfriendly in S. It did get better after some getting used to, but I would love to have seen the trim options the XF has on the X Type. To get AWD on an XF you are talking 60k, so....like I said, I'm still happy with my seXtYpe.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
We just had our XJ in for service and got a XF 3.0 as a loaner. Drove it for three days and it made me miss driving our X Type. I wish Jaguar would have gone all in with the X Type and given it an R trim option. The new XF fits just like the XType interior wise, but it's so freaking long. It's a fine car, but it doesn't handle as well in and out of a corner and the 8 speed transmission is boring in D and too skittish and unfriendly in S. It did get better after some getting used to, but I would love to have seen the trim options the XF has on the X Type. To get AWD on an XF you are talking 60k, so....like I said, I'm still happy with my seXtYpe.
Before I bought my X type, I test drove a new XF about a year ago and I liked the interior quite a bit and it was much, much faster than the X. Problem was I could not get pass the exterior design. Certainly not willing to pay that kind of money for a car I don't even like very much.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Honestly, I didn't get the much much faster than the X Type thing. But I drive mine more aggressively than you might. The XF 3.0 has almost 50 more HP than my X Type AWD 3.0. Those are comparable trim options. But that's about it. The electronic gizmos like the rotating air vents....I can do without that. It's just one more thing that is going to break down. When I think about it, I think the XF looks way to much like a Mazda 6 for me to sign even a lease agreement. But it noticed that the XF comes in AWD with a supercharger, so I guess Jaguar must have figured out the transfer case issues that kept the X Type so far below the 300HP range.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Honestly, I didn't get the much much faster than the X Type thing. But I drive mine more aggressively than you might. The XF 3.0 has almost 50 more HP than my X Type AWD 3.0. Those are comparable trim options. But that's about it. The electronic gizmos like the rotating air vents....I can do without that. It's just one more thing that is going to break down. When I think about it, I think the XF looks way to much like a Mazda 6 for me to sign even a lease agreement. But it noticed that the XF comes in AWD with a supercharger, so I guess Jaguar must have figured out the transfer case issues that kept the X Type so far below the 300HP range.
It looks like a million other cars. It impossible not confuse it at night with a Lexus with that tragic LED bar under the headlights-which themselves also look like they came of a Lexus.

I also can do without all the senseless toys but would not mind having them if I liked the car aesthetically. The most unfortunate for me is the push start buttons now standard in everything-and also the rotary shift changer. It's a total emasculation of the driving experience and what connects a man to his machine.

It's funny because when I was considering buying an XF I spend a lot of time in that forum and came across a couple of topics where let's just say the X type was not spoken of in the best terms. I wonder how people who drive Lexus (Lexi?) badged with leapers running on to ditches to the right can really criticize the X's.