X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my fan controller is bad

Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my fan controller is bad

My 05 x-type started to overheat the other day. It never got to the red and lights never came on, thankfully, but it was a scary moment for me. I initially thought it was the thermostat, but after doing a bunch of reading on here, I came across the possibility of it being the fan controller. It was only getting hot when at a light. Only 60K miles on it.

I did a test by setting the AC to max and checking the fan...no movement at all.

I found a few controllers on ebay, but they are all from an 02. Will this work with mine? I read that Jaguar changed something in 03. I really don't care which one it is if it works. I'd rather not pay $400+ for a silly fan controller.

Lastly, I read there is a possibility the fan itself can cause the controller to fail if one of the fans go bad. Is there a way of testing them without a working controller?

I really appreciate the help all you guys offer on here. It really is a great source of knowledge!

Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

slenser, not to say that your problem definitely is a controller, but 99% of the time from what you are describing, it is the controller. I would first check to make sure that the fuse hasn't blown though just to do the silly check. Hate to see you spend money when the fix was a $1 fuse.

As for testing the fan, if you have a multimeter, you can undo the plug to each fan and then using a multimeter on the ohm scale, you can plug the leads into the 2 pins going to a fan. You should see around 3-4 ohms, maybe slightly less. If you are seeing up around 100 ohms or higher, then the fan is bad. Repeat for the other fan (both fans should read about the same). But, the odds of having 2 fans on an X-Type fail is pretty low.

Yes, there was a change done in 03 to change over to a new style controller (due to a high failure rate in the 02 and early 03's). But, there is no harness to go the other way. So, unless you are good with wiring, I would recommend spending the few additional bucks and getting the controller that is plug and play.

If you look around online, you can normally find the controllers for around $200 or less. Just make sure that you specifically ask them to put a garantee on you not getting a DOA controller. If they are not willing to do that, then move on to someone else as they know the controller that they are selling is shot.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine failed at only 37k miles, so 60k is not too bad. I bought one on ebay but it turned out to be bad, so I returned it and got a refund. Bought another one on ebay and it was also bad, no return on that one. Finally found one locally and turned out that one of my fans was bad, so maybe that caused the two previous ones to go bad. So finally, after replacing one bad fan, the third used module worked fine.

If I had to do it again, I would just buy a new module with fans for $400 and save myself time and headaches. At the end of the day, I almost spent the $400 that a new one would've cost just to save a few dollars buying used.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 AM

Thanks guys.

Carwatcher, where did you get the whole assembly for $400? I thought just the controller was that much? I'm willing to pay that if it is the fan and controller new.

Thanks again,
Sam

Old 04-21-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by slenser
Thanks guys.

Carwatcher, where did you get the whole assembly for $400? I thought just the controller was that much? I'm willing to pay that if it is the fan and controller new.

Thanks again,
Sam
Email Nalley Jaguar who is a sponsor here and tell them you're a member here. This is what I got 6 months ago:

The fan assembly, including module, is in stock and the price for Jag Forum members is $377.40

Old 04-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The old style module is no longer available for sale, at least from a Jaguar dealership it's not. Now you have to replace the fan assy which comes with a new style module attached to the fans. Also a new link lead is needed with this new style, which is seperate.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:01 PM

That's right, I forgot about the harness:

Additionally, the harness is in stock and your price on that is $72.04

Old 04-22-2012, 03:17 AM

If I have an 05, shouldn't I already have the harness or is this something different?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

slenser, yes you should only need the complete assembly and that is it. Your 05 has the new plug on it already. The adapter cable only applies to the 02 and 03 vehicles.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 AM

I got it! Now is there a thread with steps to replace this or is it that easy?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:55 PM
Veteran member

slenser, it is that easy. A few bolts and out it pops out. May find it easier to drop it out the bottom, but you have to remove the plate there though.

The following users liked this post:
slenser (04-27-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 12:32 AM

GRRRR!

I just started working on it and noticed the control module is different than the one I just got! That tells me I'm going to have to pay even more money to fix this! I do know there was some front end damage from the previous owner (MIL) so I think they may have replaced it with an older setup. That isn't everything.

I also noticed the oil pan gasket is leaking very badly and there is some rubbing going on with the A/C hoses. I'm sure the latter is from the misalignment after the damage. I just hope the parts place is open tomorrow morning so I can get the rest of the parts.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 AM

Well, I got the fan in Saturday morning and everything is running well again. I still have the other issues to resolve, but I'll get to that in the near future. Thanks for all the help with getting this done. I hated paying so much for the parts, but I loved that I was able to do it on my own and save some money. I have a great feeling of accomplishment whenever I tackle a job like this on my vehicles!

Old 05-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

As you will discover with the oil pan gasket, it is no easy job. I am sorry to break it to you, but they call for about 8 hours of work just to get the pan out. The gasket is cheap, but getting the pan off is a PITA. I think everyone on this thread has some sort of a leak coming out of their oil pan that they have just looked the other way on. I know that's what I did and now I just have to change my oil exactly at 3k miles to avoid damage

Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 PM

I certainly did discover that! I found a couple of posts that tried or suggested torquing the bolts down a bit to see if that helps. I'll try that first before trying to tackle the gasket!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:42 PM

Does anyone know it the radiator fan assembly is the same in a 02 2.5 x type and a 3.0 ?

Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Veteran member

maximum, yes, the fan assemblies are identical between all the motor types inside the X-TYpe. The only difference is that in mid 2004 Jaguar went to a new plug design and an "improved" fan controller to help with the number of failures they were seeing.

The following users liked this post:
maximum (05-03-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM

BTW, my car has been working very well since replacing the fan assembly. I still have to torque down the oil pan bolts a bit to see if that stops the leaking, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. All those damn torx bits under the front are crazy!

Old 05-17-2012, 11:12 PM

Good day all can any show me the location of the fan controller and the fuse ,it seams th at I don't no mush about this , and the dealer will rip me off ,a couple photo will be great ,,xtype 2004

Old 05-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Veteran member

Alfred. Open the hood of your car. Locate the battery there behind the headlight to your right side (if you are standing in front of the car, facing the engine bay). If you look between the battery and yourself, you will see a small finned module that is about 60x100x25mm. That is your fan controller. I do not recall the fuse for the fan controller, but let me get home and I will look it up for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think my fan controller is bad