X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch Troubles 03 X Type

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Troubles 03 X Type

Hello to all. I drove my x type to work and later in the day I couldnt get it to start. I checked the relays and fuses and finally found that if I play with the ignition switch the car would show signs of wanting to start. After playing with the ignition for a while it started to crank but still wouldnt start. Then after I kept playing with the ignition it started right up so I let it run for a while and turned it off and I started it back up again a couple of times then drove it around the block. Parked the car n tried to start it up and again it would not start. Not even a crank again. As if the battery was dead. Does it sound like the starter and ignition switch? Also if I replace the ignition switch do I need to reprogram the key? Any advice will help thanks.

Oh and also I replaced the battery because the battery indicator light was on. After the new battery was in the battery light was still on.???
2003 X Type 3.0 automatic

Last edited by Erndiego619; 06-02-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: unreadable rambling
Old 06-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a spare key try it, the key is fitted with a type of RFID (I'm talking Key not Keyfob) this is matched to the alarm/disable system, this is so that you can't just get a key copied and use it.

As for battery light check your alternator output using a DVM measure the battery terminal voltage with the engine running should be between 13-14 Volt with engine Off it should drop just below 12V (may be a little higher as you have a new batt)

Old 06-03-2012, 12:35 PM

When I got the car it didnt have a key I had one made with a locksmith not the dealer ive been using the same key for a few monthes. Should I get a new key from the dealer? Also had the batt, alt, starter checked at autozone everything good. Im now thinking ignition swith or now if you think the key. Let me know what you think. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 AM

If you've been using your key then I am incorrect about the RFID must be later vehicles, It very much sounds like it could be the ignition switch as you think, I'll see if I can dig out an electrical drawing for you. May take a day or so. Can you post vehicle details (model year etc)

Old 06-04-2012, 02:50 PM

Hay blu I got an 03 x type 3.0 auto 77,000 mi. I know I can just get it scaned n be done with it but I havent had any luck with a regular obd sacanner. The car wont show anything. Then I took it to a shop that had a scan tool for jags n they wanted to charge me $350 when the dealer only charges $140. Besides that when I went to the dealer they told me I needed to replace my throttle body with an estimate of $1200 when I took it home check all the cables for the throttle body, made sure they were clean and on right after I found one that looked loose the car was fine. I couldnt beleive I was about to pay $1200 for a loose cable. This is why now I rather go through all the research and get feed back. Well thanks again Blu here from you soon

Old 06-05-2012, 04:26 PM

I've uploaded the electrical drawing to Jaguar X Type Information at the bottom of the table, also check out XT419-02 above it. Looks like the problems are associated. Please note I'll only leave the file up for a couple of days so please download pdf ASAP(due to copyright issues)

Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 PM

So after doing all my research, homework, I found that the problem was the EMS Control Relay. The fuse box is loose do to the screw inlet being striped I cant screw it down. When the box gets moved around the car shuts down and doesn't start, just cranks and pops but no start. After playing with the fuse box I felt the R7 Relay a bit hot so I swapped it out the car started right up. (Note all this is being done while someone is turning the key and Im moving and pulling cords and relays). So I fell the relay to see if it gets hot again and when I touch it the car shuts off. So all this is do to relay R7 having a problem if I touch it or it moves a certain way the car shuts off. does this mean I should look for the short, or would it be easier to replace the fuse box? If any one has come across the problem let me know what I should do. Thanks