X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which option should I take?
Boot Plinth?
37.04%
Me too mesh grille?
22.22%
Parkboy delete?
3.70%
Save my money?
37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

I'm Bored and Need to Change Something, Help Me Decide

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts
Default I'm Bored and Need to Change Something, Help Me Decide

Option 1 (my favorite) - Rear Boot Plinth

I just like anything calling itself a "boot plinth" - what the hell does that mean?

Option 2 (least favorite) - A "me too" mesh grille

I hate the idea of caving into the staple of mods, but at least I can always sell it to anyone with a light interest in changing the appearance of their X.

Option 3 (indifferent) - rear reversing aid delete.

Option 4 - save my money

Old 10-06-2010, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

I haven't the foggiest, what option 1 is.

And would take option 4, put the cash into the 'kitty' for the next car.

But hey, you do whatever you want to.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

I don't know why they call it like that Daimler comes with fluted boot plinth whereas Jaguar comes with regular plain plinth lol

I would say go for 1 , if not #4

Old 10-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

What is a plinth, I like the look of the 08 style grill, but it is kind of a me too thing now.

You should do something cool to the *** end of yours. Delete the reverse aid, and then get some sort of stealth camera to integrate into the head unit.

The make a trick roof spoiler for an Estate, I'm saving my beans, adding that and a reverse camera to integrate into the Eclipse (or whatever) head unit. I noticed that almost all the double dins DVD had an input for rear camera.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save your money. New throttle bodies aren't cheap. lol

Old 10-06-2010, 03:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Question

Yes, what is a Plinth??

Old 10-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

The plinth is the chrome piece in the first picture. I speak 3 languages and have lived in 2 countries in the commonwealth and still have yet to hear word "plinth" used until now . It is a 2008 piece and so subtle that even x-type owners don't seem to notice it - as is apparent in this thread. I may do both. hmmm

Last edited by exexpat; 10-06-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would do 1 and 2. Like you, option 1 was my favorite choice.

I've been looking for a possible replacement for my 07 X Type. So far I haven't found a design that is as appealing. So any money you purr into the x is money well spent

Old 10-06-2010, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Jeremy, save your money. A chrome "plinth" without the chrome bumper blades? Nah.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mohrd
Jeremy, save your money. A chrome "plinth" without the chrome bumper blades? Nah.
I disagree. Too much chrome is a bad thing. The recent offerings from Audi and Mercedes have a similar piece without chrome on the bumpers. I think it will make the back look wider and lower optically.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Plinth

Originally Posted by exexpat
The plinth is the chrome piece in the first picture. I speak 3 languages and have lived in 2 countries in the commonwealth and still have yet to hear word "plinth" used until now . It is a 2008 piece and so subtle that even x-type owners don't seem to notice it - as is apparent in this thread. I may do both. hmmm
Do you mean the chrome piece over the license plate? My USA spec car has this piece and Jaguar stamped on it.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right on the optical illusion caused by the breakup of the rather plain boot area there and being from the USA, I've never known they came without one...

The trim piece also makes the rear look "meaner" or "angry" as it kinda-sorta lends itself to the tail lights a bit to create a "stern look" like someone making a "mad face"... haha.

Sorry, I can't describe what I mean, but I think you'll understand.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should also consider the cost + shipping of getting that from the US as opposed to the UK... The exchange rate alone might save you enough to cover the shipping and the price might be cheaper depending on where you look.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I disagree. Too much chrome is a bad thing. The recent offerings from Audi and Mercedes have a similar piece without chrome on the bumpers. I think it will make the back look wider and lower optically.

Ding ding ding...winna.

I have pretty much 0 chrome, you decide which way you wqant to go then it's all the way or no way at all.

So if you want chrome, then pillars, door handles, grills and surrounds upper and lower, mirro covers, crap chrome the windshield wipers and every hinge on it. Bling it out so you can't look at it without sunglasses.

Or get rid of all of it. Grill should be black chrome with color match surround, sport models have 0 chrome. My personal preference, and it looks like this exepats too.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I would say save the cash Jeremy, I thought about the mesh grille, then that day saw one on a x type, I liked the non mesh sport grille thats not chrome, that distinguishes your car from the regular base model, especially when the base model owners usually do the mesh mod as their first on the car. But its your ride bro.

Just for thought maybe giving ya an idea, why don't ya do the HID fog conversion, to a nice brilliant white? With just the fogs on (HID) around sun down, that would be a nice addition and make you stand out more.

- Dave

Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a friend who's a Curator (cures things!?!) so I know that a plinth is a pedestal - as in when you go to a mooseeum or a galhurry and you see scupltures or art standing on a pedestal in the middle of the floor, well that pedestal is referred to a "plinth" by those with better breeding than me. I'd just call it a stand.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the looks of the plinth, I did a quick search and nothing came up. Were did you find your potential mod exexpat?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:02 PM

The plinth reminds me of one of my colleagues S Type - in that it goes all the way across. I noticed the Mercedes CL also has the full across plinth.

I think it would look nice on your car. However, if you do put a chrome 08 grill, I think replacing the leaper with a growler may look better. But the 08 grill looks similar to the 08 XJ and the leaper looks ok on them.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
Do you mean the chrome piece over the license plate? My USA spec car has this piece and Jaguar stamped on it.
It doesn't go all the way across. The more recent S Types go all the way across like the one pictured here.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Ding ding ding...winna.

I have pretty much 0 chrome, you decide which way you wqant to go then it's all the way or no way at all.

So if you want chrome, then pillars, door handles, grills and surrounds upper and lower, mirro covers, crap chrome the windshield wipers and every hinge on it. Bling it out so you can't look at it without sunglasses.

Or get rid of all of it. Grill should be black chrome with color match surround, sport models have 0 chrome. My personal preference, and it looks like this exepats too.
I just threw up a little in my mouth picturing that. again, more chrome than this would be overkill. I don't buy the whole dechrome=sporty thing. these are not sporty in any way as it is.

Quick Reply: I'm Bored and Need to Change Something, Help Me Decide