X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm losing the water pump...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm losing the water pump...

I'm pretty sure I'm losing the water pump in my '02 X-Type, 2.5L. I've been noticing for some time that the heater would not push warm air when the motor was idling (even though the temp guage showed it was wram). I topped the coolant tank with distilled water, and since then, I've noticed intermittently that a puddle accumulates under the left-side front of the motor.
Today I felt around abit, and found moisture at the gasket.
It's possible, I guess, that it's just a gasket problem... but I'm open to other's experiences with this?

117K miles, by the way.

Looks like the Water Pump removal is pretty straightforward.
Any advice / cautions you'd offer?
Any advice about coolant?
What should I pay for parts?

Old 03-31-2009, 05:42 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

YEAH I HAve a new water pump and gasket for $75 shipped pm me

Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Water pump I suppose you know is in the left rear of the motor. It is driven by one of the CAM shafts. When you say left front of "motor". I think of the front as where the serpentine belt is located. The "left" would be my left if I were standing behind the motor, where the transmission is, and facing the serpentine belt. If this is the location you are describing then I'm not sure what gasket you refer to.

Water pumps are EXTREMELY easy on this vehicle. It could be you have AIR trapped in the system and a pocket in the heater core????

I had to replace my pump about 2 years ago. It went out and car over-heated.

Question: After you have driven around for some time 25 to 30 min. and then stop, put in park and allow vehicle to idle. Does the temp guage move up? If it were a weak water pump you should get a rise from the needle.

$75 for the WP is a very good price

Old 03-31-2009, 11:23 PM

Brutal:
I'll take it! I'll send you a PM when I get done here.
And Jfenley: When I say left front, I'm talking (as 'we' always do) as if I were sitting in the cabin. So the water pump sits on the left of the motor, up near the front (of the engine bay). I spotted coolant on top of what I used to call a 'bell-housing', but wouldn't know what to call it on one of todays new-fangled-transverse-mounted-with-the-trans-under/next-to-the-motor-type setups.... :-) (a 'clutch housing' maybe?)
So feeling around, up under the 'snout' of the pump, there's some obvious gasketing going-on there, and coolant coming away on my fingers.
I haven't spent any more time than that, (I was wearing a tie and white sleeves) but I'm fairly confident I found the water pump correctly.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

No problem, usually I make distinction between Vehicle, as sitting behind the wheel, and Motor, as standing behind the engine.

I wasn't sure.

Heads up: If I remember correctly there are a couple of bolts that are different length.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by jfenley
Heads up: If I remember correctly there are a couple of bolts that are different length.
Thanks for that.
I usually try to lay the bolts out in the same order I take 'em out, so I'm sure they get back in the same way. But it's always nice if you know in advance that this is an issue....

Old 04-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Its no biggy, either they stick way out if too long or the short ones just slip right into nothing

Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your over heating and leaking, the water pump is done. Got a replacement at autozone for about $75.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 PM

Thanks, Ant....
but no indication whatsoever of over-heating.
none.
zero.
zilch.
nada.

So, now that I've committed to replacing the pump, I'll quite obviously be replacing coolant. It's been a subject I've seen beat to death here.... but since I can't seem to find one signle 'difinitive' answer, or even a consensus.... I'll open it back up.

What coolant should I use?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:16 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use BMW coolant. It is not expensive, and is good for alloy engines.
I dont like trying to decipher the parts store endless varities. There is way too much sales and marketing there. No chance to make a good decision.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:59 PM

While you are replacing your water pump check the idler wheel which provides tension on the belt when adjusted up. These wheels have a sealed bearing which does fail after some time. I replaced mine when the bearing failed and I lost the drive for the water pump... luckily the message centre gave me warning as well as temp gauge and I was able to stop and get the car towed. I've heard of a couple of these go since I did mine... it seems wise to check this out while you are working on that part of the engine anyway.

Mike

Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 PM

thanks Mike. I'll check into that!