X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Project DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake Project DONE!

Read a lot on "Cold Air Intake" here and noticed many people bashed it for not actually taking in "cold air". Those who did the "hot Air" mod noted that they did it more for looks and sound,not so much for performance. It does look cool,it does make the car sound better...and the way I made mine,it does take in "Cold Air".
Heres some threads I've read :
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-intake-54961/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...pgrades-57555/

I basicly copied this one (but he cleaned his up better)....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...der-$75-36481/

But I made mine with a custom fiberglass barrier,coated in high heat resistant paint,and extended forward with a port/scoop for better "Cold Air" intaking.

Parts you'll need with part numbers:
8708-this is 4in straight piece. Make sure its the one with the sensor hole
8701-mounting kit
8698-90 degree tube
889881-Filter
Fiberglass sheets
Fiberglass resin & Resin Hardener
Bondo & Hardener
High Heat Resistant Paint

Attached Thumbnails Intake Project DONE!-imag0686.jpg   Intake Project DONE!-1.jpg   Intake Project DONE!-2.jpg   Intake Project DONE!-3.jpg   Intake Project DONE!-4.jpg  

Intake Project DONE!-5.jpg   Intake Project DONE!-6.jpg  

Last edited by BlackXBlackX; 08-11-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

That's hot. I have a piece of ABS in the same location, but yours looks more heat resistant. You sure you don't want to use some filler on it to get rid of the chunkiness/adobe look?

On second thought, I would actually say use some black Dynamat-like heat shielding. It will conform to the curves and reflect heat. $20 or so on ebay.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 PM

The heat is NOTICEABLY reduced,both to touch and on the highway this thing breathes way better shoots forward and sounds great.

I was going to bondo it better,sand and clean up but I got anxious to put it in and skipped that step..haha

Old 08-10-2011, 11:43 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm considering doing this soooo much, like it looks sooo damn nice. But I have a few questions. Is there any way that I could attach a K&N Filter instead of Spectre? If not, then it's all cool. Then.. is it safe for the car?

Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuintonChester
I'm considering doing this soooo much, like it looks sooo damn nice. But I have a few questions. Is there any way that I could attach a K&N Filter instead of Spectre? If not, then it's all cool. Then.. is it safe for the car?
The spectre has a bunch of rubber pieces where it connects to the pipe that you could take out to conform to bigger or smaller pipes. Check if the K&N has that too and you'll be fine. I had no probs with my mod,NO computer reset needed or anything.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

This set up is cool and good think is no malfuntion engine codes , happy drivin'

Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Auch I cannot see the pics...

Old 08-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@BlackX what was the "releasing agent" you used to create a barrier between the fiberglass and the motor? Wax papper?

Old 08-11-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by myJAGhasSPARK
@BlackX what was the "releasing agent" you used to create a barrier between the fiberglass and the motor? Wax papper?
There's special release wax you could buy,but I couldnt find any so I used regular candle wax and it worked..lol What I did is lay down aluminum foil first and rubbed a regular candle on it then used the foil to mold the bottom of the stock intake box. Once I had the bottom plate I measured and made custom flat pieces of fiberglass,then figerglassed all the pieces together and used a grinder to clean al the edges.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:00 PM

I left out an IMPORTANT part.

On the pic where it already painted black but still looks wet,you could see on the back that I added some metal brackets. Those attach to the plastic engine cover and the small plastic black box that comes off the intake hose.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:51 PM

Small "baffle box" that comes of the intake hose before the TB, BlackX it looks like you left yours on. Do you think it would make a difference in sound and performance if i decided to plug that hole in the hose and loose the box?

@exexpat...did you leave that small baffle box installed in your intake when you made your modifications?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by myjaghasspark
Small "baffle box" that comes of the intake hose before the TB, BlackX it looks like you left yours on. Do you think it would make a difference in sound and performance if i decided to plug that hole in the hose and loose the box?

@exexpat...did you leave that small baffle box installed in your intake when you made your modifications?
I removed the baffle box, didn't make much difference at all. Might make the high RPM growl slightly more raspy, but can't really tell. No effect on gas mileage or "performance".

Old 08-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

thats sick man, good work!

The following users liked this post:
BlackXBlackX (08-15-2011)
Old 08-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Looks good and no CEL. Great job.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:22 PM

Yeah I left mine on. The hose that connects the box to the intake boot had poped off while driving and bogged after 3000rpm. I pulled over and connected it but the check engine light had already turned on,14 error codes. I reset it and all is normal now. So just make sure you either plug it real good or make sure you dont accidentally knock it loose like me..lol

Old 08-15-2011, 09:42 PM

Heres a little something I found on the air baffle.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...vid-faq-43655/

Old 08-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackXBlackX
Heres a little something I found on the air baffle.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...vid-faq-43655/
Um, that video is on an S-Type and looks completely different from ours.

I plugged mine with a rubber stopper from AutoZone. Came in a pack of a few different sizes, just found the one slightly larger than the opening and drove it in gently with a rubber mallet.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gold_04_X-Type
Um, that video is on an S-Type and looks completely different from ours.

I plugged mine with a rubber stopper from AutoZone. Came in a pack of a few different sizes, just found the one slightly larger than the opening and drove it in gently with a rubber mallet.
I know,but you could read a bit about what the baffle is/does and also see that others are asking the same questions. And it was interesting that they talked about the K&N filter possibly messing with sensors.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:01 AM

have you ever experienced any problems with hydrolock during a heavy rain with your new fabricated heat resistant intake box?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

have you ever experienced any problems with hydrolock during a heavy rain with your new fabricated heat resistant intake box?
Um, considering it is Summer, he lives in California and he just installed it, I would guess not. I have had mine in for more than a year and live in Washington (where the rain never seems to stop) and have never had an issue. This mod has been done for decades on other cars, but appears to be nearly a first for fuel-injected Jaguar models. Guessing that has to do with the conservative, complacent and older clientele the marque tends to attract.