Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior Fog?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Fog?

So I just got a used Jag about a week ago. YAY! [sm=happy046.gif]
Right off the bat, I noticed that the inside of the car fogs up really bad. [sm=smiley13.gif]
I can either turn on the defroster at full blast all the time (but it gets darn hot in the car if I do that for extended periods of time) , or I can open the window a little (or open the sunroof vent), but seeing as though I live in Wisconsin and it is a really cold winter here... it gets really cold in the car really fast.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
KandA

Old 02-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Interior Fog?

don't set the interior temp manually. if you push the defrost and let it do it's thing, you can then adjust the fan speed you should be fine. I thought mine was messed up as well when I first bought mine. It's just a jag thing, try this and get back. Bill p.s. I sometimes cycle between defrost for a few, the a/c switch should come on, this removes the excess moisture, then dial in the heat/ dash, turning off the a/c. good luck,

Old 02-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the only downside to having tint. It screws with the defrost in every single car that I've owned, including the X. The defrost works, but takes longer than it would w/o tinted windows.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm...its cold here in Michigan and I don't have that problem and my windows are tinted as well. Is your carpet damp at all? Do you have kids that are bringing lots of snow into the car and its keeping the rear soaked? Once you are in the car and the windows are not fogged unless your getting into a wet car I see no reason why it would keep on having to be defrosted all the time. Check your carpets and make sure they didn't just wash them before you bought the car or something. Check for a hole in your firewall as well...

Old 02-16-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

there is a bulletin for that .. you have to crazy glue the motor to the flap.. they come apart and it doesnt let air from outside come in.. to test this i would.. run the car on any setting at full blower speed and wait a minute then press the recirculation button and it shud light up.. and the noise of the blower will change.. if it doesnt .. then you need to fix the flap by gluing it to the motor..

Old 02-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

Would you know where I can find a copy of that bulletin? Our (Ford) dealership has a 2002 X-type with that very problem - we need to get it fixed, customer just bought it from us.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:38 PM

Dude i had some serious fog going on in my car, took it to the dealer and the told me that a flap was broke and it was stuck recirclating the air and no fresh air coming in. Dealer fixed the flap or door or openng whatever, and since then i only get fog when i jump n my car after playing basketball im sweaty and its cold.
It cost me $247 for the fix.

before i went to the dealer i tried every thing RainX defog, keeping the interior windows spotless cleaning them every other day, yelling at the windows, asking the girl on am on a date with to wipe the windows at every stop light (they didnt like that), and screaming at the windows.

good luck bro maybe FJT, jag genius, bo, and others may have a quick fix

Old 02-16-2008, 12:42 PM

This makes me wonder whether this has anything to do with my A/C acting up in the summer. It'll start blowing hot air all of a sudden...

Old 02-16-2008, 10:16 PM

I had the same problem! I fixed the outside air flop a while ago.. which was very hard to get to. But it broke again and my car started to fog up realy bad! There is a quick fix for that, here is waht you do:

1. Open the hood and remove plastic guard that sits under the windsheld. (or you can just lift it, that should be enough for this job) !if you will decide to remove it completly, please be careful, as a plastic lip that holds it tight in place, might and probably will break if you just pull it. Try picking it out with the knife from the end, and work your way across, this will help.
2. Remove pollen filter. (Long filter that filters air comming in to your fan)
3. You will see a flap (its light brown color) behind a plastic net. It will be closed shut.
4. Take a thin knife, or anything else that will fit in there, and push the flop open. Make sure you push it all the way up.
5. Clean inside windows with window cleaner.

This worked for me. There are a couple downsides:

1. You will always get outside air, which increases your warm up period for inside temp. (for this is no-problem, since i almost never noticed air-recirculation light on anyway)
2. The flop might (mine hasn't yet) drop down again, from car bouncing, so you will have to repeat the procedure.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:26 AM

fixing it the proper way is way easier.. rudy what is your email address?

Old 02-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

5 minute fix. Just make sure you let the epoxy or whatever you use fully cure before running climate control.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

These suggestions are great, but if it were me, I would start with first things first.

Inspect the insulation of the doors. Often times in the colder regions, cars doors' will freeze shut on the owner. The owner will try to yank the door open with all his/her might, creating tears in the insulation. I, myself am guilty of this, too.

To really understand the culrpit, we need to understand with the defogger on, is it clearing the fog. If yes, then insulation is probably the issue or internal moisture as Aquill pointed. If not, it would be more evident that this flap is the culprit.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:37 AM

or you can just listen to hear if the door is opening ..hear the blower difference.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: jag_genius

or you can just listen to hear if the door is opening ..hear the blower difference.
Why would it be fine when his defrost is on and keep doing this only when he had the defrost off??? Does that outside door/trap thing you guys are talking about stay stuck open causing it to fog or what? If it's staying open wouldn't that cause a draft on the feet or whatever with cold air? Which in return would want him to leave his heat on anyways? I'm just curious...

Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 PM

Okay... I talked to the dealer where I got the car. He said they shampooed the carpets right before I drove off the lot... I don't know why, they were clean when I test drove the car 2 hours before... but with that and all the damn snow outside, I think it might just be a case of damp carpeting. I will run the defrost and once the snow is gone and the weather dries up and is a little warmer, I will run the heaters on the feet setting on high with the window cracked open to dry the carpets out. If that doesn't do it, I will either have to locate the intake flap or take it in to have that looked at... With all the ice and snow we've had here, I wouldn't be surprised if it is frozen shut and the ventilation system keeps recirculating inside air...

Lots of great suggestions! Thanks so much everyone! I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.

Later!
K.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:55 PM

Hey guys, just got a 02 x type this week. This is my first jag and I have noticed also that there is a big window fog issue in this car. Most noticible on the sides opposed to the front or back wind screen. My carpets were not shampooed and my interior is bone dry. I was talking to a friend who had a x type and he said its because the seals for the doors and windows are trippled sealed so no fresh air comes into the car thats why I am having this issue. Can anyone confirm this? Also so far I have been dealing with the issue by hitting the larger defrost button but i noticed my ac coming on. In order to keep the fog controlled I have to keep it on every time I drive the car which I am sure will affect my gas mileage. Can who ever was mentioning this "mystery flap" theory please explain this in detail in a post so others can also read and understand this mystery?

Thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 01:36 AM

How do you get to it? Do you take it out or do it attached? Cuz when i tried to fix it, it was really hard to get to it under the dash.

thanks

Old 02-18-2008, 04:31 AM

i had the exact same problem when i bought my x-type.I thought that the dealer put some crap on the glass. I cleaned my windows a million times and they still fog up quite a bit. However, when i toss the defrost on it does go away it just takes awhile.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

ORIGINAL: jag_genius

fixing it the proper way is way easier.. rudy what is your email address?
If you're willing to send it to pmsparts(at)aol(dot)com that would be great! Thanks.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 AM

remove glove box for access..

Quick Reply: Interior Fog?