X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior LED Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior LED Problems

So today I upgraded my interior lights to LEDS but I had some problems. First my front dome side lights wont work at all, the middle (festoon) worked fine. Then I was changing the vanity mirror lights and I noticed none of the interior lights were working anymore. Has anoyone else had these problems or could anyone let me know where to start checking to troubleshoot the problem?? Any help would be appreciated thanks

Old 04-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

On my dome light, the middle one is the only one that stays on as well. But that is plenty of light for me so it doesnt bother me. Also, when i turn on the dome light, it turns on all of the interior lights haha

Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 PM

Yeah, I could never get the side dome lights to work, only the middle one. So I left the original bulbs in there, which doesn't bother me since I hardly ever use them and when I unlock the car only the middle turns on anyways.

When I was changing the bulb in the trunk, I don't know what I did, but I blew a fuse and none of the interior lights were working. Everything worked after I changed the fuse, so check that.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

There several types of lights that work I have same type bulb in licsense plate, running lights on side, flasher on fender, small light in front high beam bucket, footwell, and side domes as well. All I've had to do is turn bulbs around if they didn't burn first time I put them in. I think this has something to do single or dual polarity. Some lights have dual wires the ones I used have 1

Old 04-18-2012, 05:21 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Also how did you change vanity mirror lights I didnt do those as LED

Old 04-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Carwatcher you were right it was the fuse thanks! But still nothing for the side dome lights
I also used the same lights for the front dome, footwells, glovebox, and license plate these are the lights I used WLED-x5 (194 type) Wedge Base bulbs Specifications I also tried using these for the high beam bucket but they did not fit. I guess because the 4 leds kinda stick out. These do have 2 wires maybe that's why they don't work in the front dome?? Which ones did you use? For the vanity mirrors I used these F30-WHP Fuse Type Lamp Specifications They werent exactly the same size as the originals but they worked...I just had to bend the metal contact point inward since these are smaller.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by gragner66
Also how did you change vanity mirror lights I didnt do those as LED
By the way here is the how to for the vanity mirrors

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...reply&p=500189

Old 04-20-2012, 05:07 PM

So I figured out the front dome map light problem seems that the original bulbs are wider than the LED so the metal prongs where the bulb goes wasn't making contact with the wires on the LED. Used some pliers to pinch the contact point tighter and they worked fine I'm sure that's why you guys cant get them working either try it out...Thanks again

Old 04-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Emanx2.5
So I figured out the front dome map light problem seems that the original bulbs are wider than the LED so the metal prongs where the bulb goes wasn't making contact with the wires on the LED. Used some pliers to pinch the contact point tighter and they worked fine I'm sure that's why you guys cant get them working either try it out...Thanks again
Oh i didnt notice that, good catch! i will try it out

Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, has anyone had an issue where their interior dome lights, (front and rear) don't completely shut off? After converting mine to LED, both dome lights have remained on to a degree, at a very "dim" setting. Not sure if I should be worried or not in terms of battery drainage.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They stay in "dim mode" because LED lights need way less energy, and that is WAY LESS, they shouldn't stay on if the power would be cut off completely, but obviously it does not happen in these jags. They are on all the time in mine also. Some tiny led's start glowing even when put very close to some electric devices. They should not drain your battery I don't think so

Old 11-22-2012, 04:29 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Check with multimeter

Originally Posted by Rupesh
Hey Guys, has anyone had an issue where their interior dome lights, (front and rear) don't completely shut off? After converting mine to LED, both dome lights have remained on to a degree, at a very "dim" setting. Not sure if I should be worried or not in terms of battery drainage.
Problem isnīt in the LEDīs. Somehow your car feeds a small current even when power is off. However LEDīs just happen to glow with that small current. Your regular bulbs drain exactly as much power but you just havenīt been able to detect before. So shouldnīt worry. Battery will last as long as it has before.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 351 Posts

LEDs in the interior lights should go out completely when the electrical system shuts down fully. For the X Type this can take up to 30 minutes from the time of double locking.