X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Starting Issue

Hi all, I have a 2003 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 AWD Petrol.

I had a strange gratting sound on start up for a couple of months found it was comming from starter motor which has been replaced and that problem solved.

Just before changing the starter motor my battery light started to come on every now and then, as the weeks have passed it has become more frequent. I have had the battery tested by both Halfords and my local trusted mechanic and both say the battery is fine.
Basically its a 50/50 chance that the car will start first time of asking worst case so far has been on the 4th attempt which I really dont like doing.

I am looking at replacing the altenator as has been suggested that its not properly charging causing failure to start the car, but before I do can anyone help as to what the problem could be or other solutions than the altenator change.

Also, I have just put my diagnostic on the car and the following codes have come up... P1637, P1646 and P1699 any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 08-17-2016, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I have posted below the DTC Codes that you read. The only one I would be concerned with is the O2 sensor. First clear all of the codes. So that you can get a fresh start on the codes.
Second from looking at the other 2 codes I am not so sure the alternator is your problem. I have experienced the occasional Battery Light. The problem was the battery cable connections.
I would first remove and clean the connections on both ends and make sure the connections to the new starter are clean and tight. Inspect the cable ends for corrosion or swelling of the insulation. The cables are known to corrode and the corrosion can be deep into the cable. Once everything is clean and tight drive it and recheck the codes.
A multi-meter on the battery while the engine is running should have a reading of about 13 volts for positive to ground. That would show the alternator is working properly. You can also take a reading at the battery after driving and it should be in excess of 12 volts.
The cables are a known weakness and will prevent the alternator from correctly charging the battery.

Attached Files
File Type: doc
Dean Jarvis.doc (84.5 KB, 54 views)
The following users liked this post:
Dean Jarvis (08-17-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 10:10 AM

Thank you avern1, I will check the cables etc especially as you have experienced a similar issue before. Would you advise replacing all 4 02 sensors at the same time or just the possible faulty one?

Thanks again.

Old 08-17-2016, 10:14 AM

avern1 what size battery cable would you advise i get?

Old 08-17-2016, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I replace the positive cables with OEM, its 2 cable into 1 connector and removed and replaced the end of the ground cable with a new clamp assembly from the local auto supply house.
If you clear the DTC codes and the O2 sensor code comes back I would replace the one listed.

The following users liked this post:
Dean Jarvis (08-18-2016)