Sponsored by:

introduction

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts
Default introduction

evening gents...and ladies :+)

After several years of boring land rover ownership it's time to get back to the Jag.
I fell in love with the series 3 XJ6's a few years back, i restored one from junk to a beauty. Then went on to land rovers.

Now totally bored with the land rover i'm looking to get an X type.

I'm a hands on kinda guy so will be maintaining and repairing it myself...hope i don't get handed a lemon :+)

Already made a few posts here tonite, so just checking in to say Hi

Chris

Old 05-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

iownme, welcome to the forums. You will find a lot of useful information here. What about the X-Type is turning you on to it? I only ask as if you are looking for performance (ie, lots of light to light fun), the X-Type can be an expensive car to own. You want a nice touring vehicle, then the X-Type can be good for you.

As for repairs, if you can do the work on the XJ6, then you can do the work on the X-TYpe. It is all pretty straight forward.

On a side note, what part of upstate NY are you in? I'm spending a few more weeks up in Rochester, but then will be heading back home to Maryland. If you have some free time, let me know.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Welcome, I think if you find a decent X Type there is no any reason that you will regret to buy it
Read the FAQs and stick to Thermo's advices

Old 05-10-2011, 03:57 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Theres tons of info on the site to help you out. Plus the MODS are very helpful here as well.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

i've been reading up on the X type as i like to be informed before i buy...but my mind is made up!. I'm aware of the various issues that can come up, and will expect to spend a few bucks in parts!!....i think i can handle any of the work it will throw at me :+)
I'm in Oneonta, about 3 hrs from Rochester, feel free to come over and let me take a test drive :+)
I still have not driven the X type....though i know i'll be impressed

Old 05-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction

Hi, I would like to also introduce myself. I have a 02 X type sport with 3.0 and the auto tranny. I bought it last month and it has been great so far. The tranny had already been replaced about 5 years ago with a remanufactored Jatco unit. So that was taken care of. I do my own work and aware of all the issues such as TC and changing fluild, etc. I really wanted a stick shift, but those are too hard to come by so settled for this one. I love it!

Richard

Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Rickna7
Hi, I would like to also introduce myself. I have a 02 X type sport with 3.0 and the auto tranny. I bought it last month and it has been great so far. The tranny had already been replaced about 5 years ago with a remanufactored Jatco unit. So that was taken care of. I do my own work and aware of all the issues such as TC and changing fluild, etc. I really wanted a stick shift, but those are too hard to come by so settled for this one. I love it!

Richard
Welcome to the board. If you should have questions in the future some one here will surely have an answer. Congratulations on your new purchase.

Old 05-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome.
from what i hear the landrover is one of the most expencive cars to maintain and repair, so i think even with the known x-type issues, you will probably feel some relief.
just remember to try to source out non oem parts that are compatible...you will save a lot especially on basic things like wiring.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks ghettomike. The LR has been work work work, just this last week the front sunroof stopped working, cargo door latch broke, brakes turned spongy, top radiator hose bleed screw snapped. The last 2 years have been like this :+(
I am so ready to set foot in a jag again. I have 2 cars for sale on ebay, as soon as they sell i'll be in a jag!
LR parts are not excessively expensive (mostly) but they have major reliability issues. I'm just hoping the head gaskets dont blow before it sells :+) (common problem)

At least whoever buys it will have a relatively reliable car as most of the issues they have, have been fixed by me. The sunroof will be the next owners headache, ive already replaced the rad hose, and will be replacing the brake fluid today...(old fluid often causes spongy brakes on these)....the door mechanism will also be fixed, if i have time, has to be taken apart as there are none on ebay to replace it with :+(
GRRRRR