Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Too good to be true?

Hi all, I am new to this forum and have been doing my research in finding an x type to purchase. First, I would like to say that this forum is great and has already answered many of my questions. But I have two questions which still remain unanswered. I have been debating whether or not to buy a 04 and up model because I have heard the awd system is lacking because of the removal of the vc. I live in colorado so a good awd system its a necessity. I have also heard that the 04 and below have many more problems with the awd system. So does the performance of the 04 and below compensate for the extra repairs? Also I am looking to buy a used x type. I have been looking around and found a 2003, 2.5, 5spd, with 80k miles for $5500. Is this jag too good to be true?

Old 05-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you in advance

Old 05-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I have an X Type like you describe. It has the VC and as long as you do the TC oil changes you should be OK. It's been a great car. I live about a 1,000 miles north of you and it's great for winter driving. As far as price...what's the car's condition?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

It is just an online ad. Would a tcase oil change show up in a history report? and how often does the tcase oil need to be changed. Here is the link to the ad. Used BLACK 2002 Jaguar X-Type 2.5 for sale in Houston Texas VIN: SAJEB53D12XC72924 at LemonFree.com

Old 05-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

The TC case oil change is not endorsed by Jaguar. To them it's a "sealed for life (even though life may be short)" unit. A test drive and a mechanical check should tell if there's any problems. Pictures look good.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you Tony_H. I also thought the pictures looked good. It is just in that cusp of the price range where it could be a great deal or it could have a problem.

So does this mean that it would be more than common to run across an x type with a bad tcase? If so, it seems as if my work just got much harder... Anyone got any insight onto which year would be the best to buy?

Old 05-11-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You don't have to rule out the later model years, just look for one with DSC. It can be argued either way if it's better to have the VC or DSC. Both systems have merit. I chose to get a newer model with DSC and don't regret it one bit. Just don't buy an X without one or the other. Good luck in your search.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only noticed one thing on this car. The passenger side front wheel seems to be different than the others. This is a bit odd since the car doesn't have hubs on it, or at least it shouldn't. Also, the rims and the body style looks very similar to a sport, with the rear spoiler and the lack of chrome. I would definitely go look at this car. Otherwise, it looks very clean.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

so in further research and reading all of the reviews of the x type for the respective years, I have decided that the younger models are the way to go because of less maintenance. Although I wanted an older model at first, I decided that most of the kinks were worked out by 2004. When reading the reviews I mainly found many small problems which I could fix myself such as the trunk latch and replacing the fuel tank. But the thing that scares me is many complained of shaking coming from their drivetrain. This was also after a short amount of miles which makes me wonder if buying one with 80k on it is worth it at all. Is the shaking in the drivetrain simple enough as just greasing a bearing or is this something serious such as needing a new tcase?

Old 05-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CJay87
I've only noticed one thing on this car. The passenger side front wheel seems to be different than the others. This is a bit odd since the car doesn't have hubs on it, or at least it shouldn't. Also, the rims and the body style looks very similar to a sport, with the rear spoiler and the lack of chrome. I would definitely go look at this car. Otherwise, it looks very clean.
Thank you for giving me your 2 cents on the car. I really just needed someone to look at it who has owned one of these cars before. My problem is that I live in Colorado and am looking to buy one out of state. Is there any way I can assure that the vehicle is in good shape before driving all the way out to see it? Would a vehicle history report illustrate if it had had its fluids replaced and if it had been well maintained?

From what I gather, the x type is a very solid car, but it just needs to be maintained. Without maintenance, all hell breaks loose. Hopefully I am correct and am not getting pulled into a car which will steal all of my hard earned cash.

Thank you again for all of your help. I realize that many people ask the same questions as I do but I just need to make sure I am not throwing away my funds.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by disguay
Thank you for giving me your 2 cents on the car. I really just needed someone to look at it who has owned one of these cars before. My problem is that I live in Colorado and am looking to buy one out of state. Is there any way I can assure that the vehicle is in good shape before driving all the way out to see it? Would a vehicle history report illustrate if it had had its fluids replaced and if it had been well maintained?

From what I gather, the x type is a very solid car, but it just needs to be maintained. Without maintenance, all hell breaks loose. Hopefully I am correct and am not getting pulled into a car which will steal all of my hard earned cash.

Thank you again for all of your help. I realize that many people ask the same questions as I do but I just need to make sure I am not throwing away my funds.

I bought mine in Tenn. and I live in Michigan. I just made sure to check all records on the carfax. However I spent many hours E-mailing the dealership I purchased the car from, and getting to know the people. They really can tell you a lot about the car. If you ask questions and they answer, quickly, and knowledgeably about the car and are happy to talk, that eases ones mind. However, if you talk to them and they are just looking to unload it, chances are there MAY be some problems.

Really just ask as many questions as you can about the car. See how willing they are to divulge info that may not be posted on the carfax, like other work done on the car outside of dealerships that may have been reported.

After Talking with my dealership, I had no qualms purchasing it w.o even seeing the car. HOWEVER, I got very lucky and did my homework.

Hope this helps!!

Best of luck!! Love the cars, they are expensive to keep on the road, but well worth the money.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

disguay, when it comes to the X-Types, you will find that some like the older ones, others like the newer ones. But, like with any car that is used, what you get is a lot dependent on the previous owner(s). The best thing that I can tell you is to take whatever car for a drive and see what it handles like. It will be obvious if you have a good car or not.

As for paying $5500 for an X-Type with 80K miles, I would call that average, if not a little high. If you are going through a dealership, then that would be a fair price. But, to stick within your price limits, try looking at private sellers. You may be surprised as to what you can find and for the price.

Now, if you are willing to spend a little more, I would tell you to look at the XJ8. It will cost you a little more (about $2K for a 03 model), but the quality of the car, the niceties of the car, and the associated problems will make it money well spent. Had I known what I know now, I would have saved my pennies and gotten that. But, some want the smaller size of the X-Type.

If you have any more questions, let me know. I will attempt to answer whatever you may have as a question.

The following users liked this post:
disguay (05-12-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

It is also missing the headlight washer jet cover on the dirver's side.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It's a nice looking car but for the money I would seriously look into getting a s type alot better car than the x type. Not bashing the x type but it's just not the same car as the s type. Beside s types have that classic retro look

Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Looks like there is something weird with the passenger seat bolsters, like the top of the leather is worn away or somehow discolored.

As for anyway you can assure it's a good deal before driving out the answer is "no". You can minimize that you are wasting your time by asking a lot of questions and making sure they send you the Car Fax. That won't tell you the whole story, but is a good baseline to tell if it was in an accident or had routine maintenance. Ask as many questions as you can ahead of time. As about that wheel issue for sure. I am not positive, but isn't that wheel 16" and the rest 17"? Also ask if anything has been painted on it. Even though an accident might not show up doesn't mean that something didn't happen that the previous owner had taken care of himself. The pictures aren't that clear, but it looks like it has some scratches and such in a few places and isn't "pristine". Once you have enough answers to your questions and have enough of a comfort level, then take the drive. I bought a car 500 miles from where I live and flew down to get it. It wasn't 100% like it was represented, but I was able to work that out. One thing I would say is that if you would drive down and it wasn't what you thought it was, be prepared to walk away even though you spent all that time and money to try and buy it. There is always another if you are patient. My situation worked out and I have had mine for over 2 1/2 years and almost 50K miles and it's been scarily trouble free.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
disguay, when it comes to the X-Types, you will find that some like the older ones, others like the newer ones. But, like with any car that is used, what you get is a lot dependent on the previous owner(s). The best thing that I can tell you is to take whatever car for a drive and see what it handles like. It will be obvious if you have a good car or not.

As for paying $5500 for an X-Type with 80K miles, I would call that average, if not a little high. If you are going through a dealership, then that would be a fair price. But, to stick within your price limits, try looking at private sellers. You may be surprised as to what you can find and for the price.

Now, if you are willing to spend a little more, I would tell you to look at the XJ8. It will cost you a little more (about $2K for a 03 model), but the quality of the car, the niceties of the car, and the associated problems will make it money well spent. Had I known what I know now, I would have saved my pennies and gotten that. But, some want the smaller size of the X-Type.

If you have any more questions, let me know. I will attempt to answer whatever you may have as a question.
I always hear "jaguars are expensive to fix" but all i can see that goes wrong right now is headlights, fuel system, auto tranny, t case, and rear driveline. If this were my Jeep I wouldn't even think twice about those things going out and me having to replace them. Is there anything else major that needs to be added to the list? Thank you for your willingness to help me through this process.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

CJClay87: Thank you for insight into how you made your long distance purchase. It really helps alot.

Achysklic: I didn't think the s types came with awd which is a must for me.

Alfadude: Thanks for looking at it. I will definitely include questions about those items once they get in contact with me.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by disguay
I always hear "jaguars are expensive to fix" but all i can see that goes wrong right now is headlights, fuel system, auto tranny, t case, and rear driveline. If this were my Jeep I wouldn't even think twice about those things going out and me having to replace them. Is there anything else major that needs to be added to the list? Thank you for your willingness to help me through this process.
It is definately a Sport model, has the 18s, it will have a stiffer suspension, one thing to look for are better pics of the seats. The side bolsters are a lot bigger on the sport so you have to drag your *** across them and sometimes you will see wear on them, not so much the base but the sides. the front passenger side wheel is not the right one. I'd worry about that. Don't fret about the T-Case, they are not as suspect as people make them out to be. I'd be wary to buy an X type off the internet just because there are issues. Maybe get a complete carfax or something on it. I think a sport with a manual would be cool, wish mine was a standard until I hit rush hour traffic.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

sidewalkman: That was my first criteria when buying a "new" car was that it had to manual. I really don't want another vehicle which is held back by the performance of the transmission. I also heard that the auto trannys will burn out sooner. I am glad that the x case is something i really dont have to worry about. Thats the main thing ive been scared about when looking online so I really haven't been able to expand my horizons at all with what else I should look at in the car. Also, I'm not really scared away by how torn up the driver seat is. As long as I have something to sit on I'm happy. If the interior is destroyed beyond hope, I will look elsewhere but I don't think a few tears will make up my mind.

Hopefully I can get a full carfax out of them. I know that if they don't offer one to me, they are hiding something.

It seems to me as if used jags just sound terrible because nobody complains when theirs works fine. Thats what im finding also on this forum in many of the sections where people post their miles and what has gone wrong. Also I am not really hearing any big bias in MAJOR repairs between the 02 and 04 models. I can fix small stuff and replace hubs (the take a bold out and put it back kinda stuff) so that doesnt really scare me away.

Again, thank you all for your help

Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Disguay, the tranny isn't truely hard to replace, but like with all cars that have a sideways mounted engine, just getting to the tranny can be a chore. Keep in mind that this car is basically a "Ford". Sure, it has the Jag body and niceties, but most of what you are seeing is all based on a Ford vehicle. As you will find looking around the forums, there are a lot of parts that are Ford that you can use on your car. That will save you money and also will hopefully give you a bit warmer feeling on being able to fix things.

As for the things you mention as being "common" problems, other than the transfer case, all of those can be done in your driveway. Some of the members have replaced their transfer cases themselves, but there is a trick with the half shafts and getting the clips on the half shafts in the proper place without damaging other seals. I don't recall all the details, but it can be done at home.

If you are set on an X-Type, go for it. I do a lot of my own work and haven't found anything that I have needed to replace that I can't do.

The following users liked this post:
disguay (05-12-2011)

Quick Reply: Too good to be true?