X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's bad news

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It's bad news

Very bad news on my lovely Jag. The mechanic went in to great detail about the problem, which went over my head, all I heard was his last sentence where he said he would not recommend paying the £2,800 bill to get it fixed, with no guarantee of that being the end of the problems.

Before you ask it's a reputable garage, I've been going there for 15 years and trust them implicitly. My previous cars have gone through MOTs for many consecutive years with no problems.

He said something about a part having sheered off and come in to contact with the injector, so it needs a new (or second hand) engine, and then new injectors fitted.

So I guess my experience with Jaguar was short and sweet, I loved her while I had her, but it's time to move on.

Thanks for all your advice these past few days, it was much appreciated.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:41 AM
Received 528 Likes on 427 Posts

Very sorry to hear that - please keep in touch and you never know another Jaguar may always come along..

Old 09-18-2014, 06:45 AM

Still can't get my head around the fact that it's been driving like a dream for months and then overnight, this. It's bizarre. But I guess that's cars for you!

Old 09-18-2014, 08:31 AM
Received 286 Likes on 234 Posts

Sparkx: Sorry to hear that. If it would give you some peace of mind, perhaps a UK forum member would volunteer to call the mechanic for you and confirm his diagnosis and repair estimate make sense. If someone volunteers, send the mechanic's contact info to them via a private message - otherwise, the poor mechanic might receive 10+ calls on your behalf.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:02 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

sparkx, for "something" to hit the injector, that can only be but 1 of 2 things, the piston or one of the valves. Either way, he is correct in that you are best served by getting a new engine as it will be the cheaper way to go. Now, with that being said, do some looking around. You can probably get a good used engine put into the car for around $2000 (USD) or so. There are lots of X-Types around, so, there are lots of used parts out there. Granted, if you are planning on keeping the car for a long time, then getting the engine rebuilt would be best as then you know the condition of the engine and will be able to control your destiny a lot more.

If you love the kitty that much, then the money shouldn't be too big of an issue. It is more whether you are wanting to put money into the Jag or to spend money on a different vehicle. That is a call that only you can make.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:13 AM

But can anyone guarantee that what you're buying is a 'good' engine? I'm off to Portugal for two weeks Saturday, so I have that time to ponder on what to do. )

Old 09-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

You can always have a reputable shop get an engine from a breakers, then 'freshen it up', likely for about half of the quoted 2800 quid.

The car is worth that cost of repair.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Sparkx,
I'm sorry to hear about you engine going south on you.
Given the way you describe the Jag, i will like to think that simply getting a used engine through a renown mechanic can do the trick. That's how far i am ready to go with mine since i always have wanted that Jaguar.
These Jags are jewels to drive so please keep courage and consider this option during vacation.
I hope these few words from a newbe such as i helps you along.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:48 PM

The quote they gave me was for a used engine, and they didn't recommend doing the job because having fitted a used engine they couldn't guarantee there wouldn't be more problems.

I think I may investigate the costs of a used engine and get some quotes from different garages for fitting before giving up on the jag. I see some pretty decent x type engines complete with pumps and injectors on eBay for around £450. Not sure if I am looking at the right kind of thing though lol. The garage said it was three days labour and then when fitted the Jag would have to be sent away for a day for something, I can't remember what.

I collected the invoice today, this is what it reads:

Found 2 old injectors leaking off double amount to new injectors
Remove injectors for further tests
Found injectors on cylinder 2 damaged on end
Investigate misfire further and found cylinder 2 has a broken valve.

It may as well be in Chinese.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:25 PM
Veteran member

sparkx, the valve is a metal disk in the engine that controls either the air coming into the engine or the exhaust leaving the cylinder. If this helps, pucker your lips and start blowing out then place your hand over your lips tightly. The valve does the same sort of thing. From the sounds of things, you had a valve stick and the piston struck the valve, resulting in the end of the valve breaking off. Things like this can happen, even on a well maintained engine.

As for knowing you are getting a "good" engine, it is a gamble. As a general rule, you are more likely to get a better engine with one that has less miles on it. But, then you are assuming that the driver treated the engine like everyone else does. So, I would see what engines you can find and see what their mileage is. i would also say to be weary of engines pulled from cars that have very significant front end damage where the front bumper is pushed far back into the engine bay. This can lead to unseen problems as you can get the internals pushed around due to something striking the engine and it won't be found until you go to start the car.

The following users liked this post:
sparkx (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

You could either post on the UK Forum or PM bertieboy9 who breaks X Types

View Profile: bertieboy9 - JaguarForum.co.uk - The World's # 1 Jaguar Car Forum

Have you tried Eurojags?

Jaguar Parts and Jaguar Spares from Eurojag

The following 2 users liked this post by santer:
Norri (09-18-2014), sparkx (09-18-2014)
Old 09-18-2014, 04:39 PM

Thanks guys, will research and check links more when I get back from the holiday, need to forget all this for a couple of weeks.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

Sparkx, get out there, sit on the beach, soak up the sun and forget about life. Let the stresses of life float away. They will all be waiting when you get back. But, until then, a bit of Sangria might help too. Just saying........

The following users liked this post:
sparkx (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

its a shame cause I just sold a engine with 80k on it for 600. And my shop installs them for 500 or less. Im looking at doing another engine and trans swap in the next few weeks. I have it down to about 6 hours out and new one in.

Good luck and think hard..,
The Dr!

Old 09-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

Dr, she has 2 issues with your motors. The first being she is in Kent UK. So, I am sure the shipping cost will have a big effect on what it will cost. The second being she needs the diesel variant. I don't think you have one of those sitting around.

On a side note, I am going to be up your way in the end of October. Would there be a day that I can stop by and pick up that steering wheel? I don't know my exact schedule at this point in time as I am going to be working 12 hour days, 6 days a week at a nuke plant up that way, but on my day off, looking to do a day trip up to you.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
On a side note, I am going to be up your way in the end of October. Would there be a day that I can stop by and pick up that steering wheel? I don't know my exact schedule at this point in time as I am going to be working 12 hour days, 6 days a week at a nuke plant up that way, but on my day off, looking to do a day trip up to you.
I see a Jag meet for PA could be in order.
if that is ok with you guys?

Old 09-20-2014, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

Paul, the big "issue" I see is that I am not garanteed a weekend day off. I may get say a Wednesday off or something of the like. So, that might make things a little interesting. I am game for something and it might be one of those things that we can do something say up near Dr's place at a local restaurant or something. Just offering up options to the situation.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:47 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default up for a meet.

I am game. Are you coming to the power plant off 611 past Martin's creek?. If so that's about 30 mins from me. We can meet up anytime. Even do dinner if you want. There is a few places arond. Let me know where your staying and I can let you know where a good place to eat Food around here sucks. Lol . What color is your interior again? Pm me your cell and I can send you pictures of the wheels I have.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

Chris,
I understand the scheduling I am actually off to Michigan tomorrow for two weeks on an install.
When you find out your schedule let us know we could work something out from there, would like to meet you and Dr and anyone else who is close.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Veteran member

DR, I am actually in the southern part of the state down at Peach Bottom (it is in Delta, PA, about 2 hours away from you). I will be staying most likely in Edgewood, MD (unless someone has a room that I can bum for 2 weeks, willing to pay some for the time I am there unless there is some work they need done on their car, LMAO).

I will send you my phone number in a PM and we can figure things out at that point.

Paul, I am going to be right around the corner from you. The plant is in Delta, PA. If you want to hook up, let me know. Maybe if there are other members in the area, we can get something going.

Quick Reply: It's bad news