X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jag extended coverage

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jag extended coverage

Hey guys, just got back from the dealer after some warranty work. Afterward, I was ask if i'll be interested in Jaguar "Extra Mile Warranty". Its 3yrs 100k mile, $200 deductible for $2446 + tax. Seem high, does this look right to you? Clutch not covered, pity, I would have jumped on it.

secondly, $459+tax for ACM installed. Thinking about it.

Warranty was for the clunking noise, replaced Stabilizer bar mounting bushings/stabilizer bar rubber. Jag now ride beautifully.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts
Default RE: jag extended coverage

Great news ,it's good to hear a Jaguar back in nice condition [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 03-28-2008, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

how many miles do you have on your car now?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:56 PM

Thnx Caddy

@JVegas, presently about, 36,XXX . The 3yrs/75k mile plan was $2236, only a $200 difference. Now that I thought about it, its probably a better deal. 100k would mean I'd would have to average 21k a year, which I doubt I'll do, since I have another car.

The sale rep, said tranny/tranfer case could cost about 6k to replace, and engine failure could cost around 10k, which left me a tad frightened. Still 2k+ is alot, reserved I could use on a set of Enkei LX-M wheels.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

hhmmm... it's a toss up. The trany and tranfer case could go. but maybe not. as far as i can tell the only things that might realy go would be the transfer case and drive shaft. those are known things on the X. If you pay the 2 grand then you have already paid for them. Look at the warranty and see what it covers. If you have 2 cars I would pass. but it is a coin toss. Maybe as FJT. Did you buy the car new? Has it been well maintained?? stuff like that will leyt you know what to do. The price is not bad. Oh, and the ACM... I would get that!

Old 03-29-2008, 01:59 PM

Its a tough decision for sure, luck is never on my side.family members were telling me NO, "your just throwing your money away". But I'm gonna feel like a real jack@ss if the tranny does go out. I can remember when I joined this forum 1 month ago, before I got the Jag, Aquill1 words were "Check and see what it would take to extend the jag warranty if possible". Those word still resonates in my head. Still I have 1 month to go tomake that decision.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

You may never need the ext warr....but I bet you do. $2400 is not bad considering Extra Mile uses only factory parts, unlike other ext warr companies that try to send a used motor or trans to avoid paying the cost of a new engine. Better to have something and not need it than to gamble and watch your engine fail then not be able to come up with more money than the car is worth to fix it. $200 for an engine is good in anybodys book. I am a big fan of the extended warr as I see people everyday who bought their car then cant afford to fix it. If you don't have alot of money, and you skip on the extended warranty, start a savings account just for the jag repairs.

Having your car running well is far more important then having some expensive rims that will only be sitting on your driveway if car fails.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:38 PM

Well just finishwashing/ polishing the car (turtle wax ice) no to shabby. easy to apply and wipe off. Now I find out its gonna snow on monday, east coast? thats just dandy.

FJT, that last sentence, not the one about the rims, is enough to convince me. Afterall your the tech, not a sleazy snakeoil salesman. Thanks.I'll bypass the wheels for now, but not the ACM, LOVE MY IPOD! $459 sound about right? how is the sound quailty on that, hope its better than a Aux jack, for sure better than a cigarette lighter plug. Those think are crap and a waste.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

The ACM works well for what it is. It is a hybrid design so make sure you have your first 4 playlists set up to be whatever you want to listen to all the time. A few people here have them installed with mixed feelings, but all would agree better than fm modulation.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:35 AM

My Select Edition is up on June 11 or in another 2k miles. At 98k in the last 3 months alone SE replaced my tranny, drive shaft, rear parking aid, driver's seat motor, pullies/tensioners, headlight module, headlamp,abs sensor, gas cap striker, o2 sensor and a bunch of other sh*t that I don't have room to write! I too have been looking into extended warranties that will take me past 100k and have stumbled across a warranty by Peoples Vehicle Protection that will go 3/36 for $3k. Does anyone have any experience with this warranty? It only makes sense to cover an X for as long as possible but I don't want to shell out a wad of doe only to find out that they won't payout on claims.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey agl is sounds like everything that could go wrong has and it would almost make more sense to just save up for a new motor but I doubt it would ever be needed. Seriously though with that repair list seriously what else could go wrong? You could get an entire smashed x-type for 3-5 grand so I'd seriously think about whether the warranty is worth it.

Jagu that sounds like a steal of a deal especially if it covers more than just powertrain, does it? Personally that's much less than any other warranty I've seen for sure. If you plan on keeping the car for another 3 years I'd do it!

Personally as far as the acm goes I'd personally put in an aftermarket radio which you could control the ipod through. For nearly $500 bucks you could get a really really nice pioneer with bluetooth for that with all all the stuff to install it. You could get a pioneer with motorized face plate and bluetooth as well as ipod connectivity for around $300 bucks. They actually have double din pioneer cd players that are double din without tv screen that would fill the spot better and cost around $300 bucks as well. That is what I'd honestly do over spending the money to pay for an acm unless you get a deal like FJT had on his. From my understanding though the acm uses fiberoptic which means it's cd quality.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:18 PM

Aquil1, I figure with a new CD head unit (custom install, i assume) its going to cost me about the same as having a ACM install. I would mind having one of those head unit with the pop out screen I've seen on Bestbuy, only they don't do custom work.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Custom work?

I'm curious what you speak of by custom work?

If by c.w. you are speaking of dash kit and wiring harness you can purchase those for under 100 bucks including dash, harness and antenna adapter. If you get a unit like a jensen or phase linear (i know what you may be thinking but think again...) and not spend too much. I've personally installed a few of these units and I was shocked at the quality. You could even get double din units instead of flip out units if you want. If you have a question let me know and I'll help you out!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Aquill1, thats it, dash kit!! [:@]I couldn't think of what it was called when I was [sm=type.gif]. [sm=laughat.gif]. And YES, Jensen?? on a Jaguar? teehee, don't know much about Phase Linear so I'll leave it at that.

Quailty sound coming from the iPod is priority to me and fiber optic provides thats, as you mentioned. However I going to do some research and compare. Will FTJ everhaveACM for sale again?

Mucho Gracias Aquill1, Danke. I will certainly PM you come decision.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

No mean rest assured, audiovox owns jensen which owns phase linear. IMO I don't like dual products they are garbage. Before I bought a few of the phase linear and jensen products to sell I was skeptical. Once I installed them jensen has totally changed the way they do things as far as I'm concerned, the products are vast improvements of previous no name low quality stuff that they used to have. And for the money you can't complain!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: aquill1

Jagu that sounds like a steal of a deal especially if it covers more than just powertrain, does it? Personally that's much less than any other warranty I've seen for sure. If you plan on keeping the car for another 3 years I'd do it!

Sorry, somehow forgot to answer.

Here what the brochure say;

Powertrain Coverage
Engine, Transmission/Transfer case, Drive Axle, Seals and Gaskets, Taxes and Fluid.

Exclusionary Coverage
Air Conditioning, Fuel System, Cooling System, Suspension (front/rear) Heating, Braking System, Steering, Electrical System, High Tech/Convenience Group

Not covered
squeaks and rattles, water leaks or wind noise
non factory installed electronic, (e.g. radio, cd and speakers)
exterior metal
Upholstery
Trim
Normal wear and tear e.g. brakes, rotor, tires,clutch.

Features
Rental reimbursement up to 50/day for uo to 6 days ----- Tho, the sale rep said he would give me a dealer's loaner car should I need it
transferable warranty
24/365 roadside assistance

The bochure has a small fine printsee "Section E; whats not cover" of your actual contract. Hmmm. FINE PRINTS.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah i hear ya! I just bought a mercury mountaineer with 28k miles on her but got a 4year 48k miles warranty that covers everything but stuff like brake pads/rotors and seats and those kind of things and it was $2400, I just got a letter monday saying my vehicle wasn't covered and the car was denied! I asked the salesman wtf is going on? No warranty this car is coming back to ya! I have yet to see exactly what is and isn't covered!