Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag newbie- Auto Trans Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jag newbie- Auto Trans Inquiry

Hello all,
Just posted in the intro section and figured I'd pop over here to see if I could get some ideas:

I'm looking at a 2003 x-type 2.5 auto.
Trans slipping, slow to engage into first, can be driven if super slowly. Current owner claims it barely drives... (transmission wise)

I've been reading all I can and think it could be something as simple as swapping fluid, and maybe looking at the electronics...

Bear in mind this would be my first time messing with such a complex car and while my wife and I are mechanically inclined, we've never worked on automatics. (car is for my mother- she needs auto due to bad knee)

I will be reading everything I can here but if anyone has any immediate ideas, input, expert advice, links, whatever... It's all welcome...

Old 04-21-2013, 06:58 AM

69 views and nobody has any input?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

One cause of a slipping automatic is low oil. There is no dip stick so you have to check it under the car.

However, if it has been driven a lot while slipping you wear out and burn the clutches. This is likely your situation. If you catch it when it first starts slipping you may get away with only an oil change. After that it is rebuild time.

You did not mention how many miles on the car. The local transmission repair shop that handles all the Jag dealers told me that X-type transmissions are good for about 130K miles. That also could be your problem.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 AM

Ooops. Sorry, I thought I had posted the mileage. 135k...

I guess it's just at the right time...

Old 04-22-2013, 07:40 AM

I also neglected to mention that I have not seen the car in person. I have seen pictures and they look fine. If car starts and runs (even poorly), I can fix most mechanical. Transmissions, however, are a totally different animal. And to add AWD, well, that makes it worse...

I am not sure if the auto trans and the transfer case are one unit or if they are two separate units. If a fix could be achieved with some new fluid that would be great. However, in the event that the trans is toast, I have not seen anywhere listed around this forum where people are rebuilding them... I was thinking that you all would have a transmission guru floating around that could rebuild or sell rebuilt units with old core trade-ins...

Is this guy out there?

I'd buy the car if I knew I would have some access to someone who can make these transmissions right. Don't want to buy a lawn ornament.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by jagger
One cause of a slipping automatic is low oil. There is no dip stick so you have to check it under the car.

However, if it has been driven a lot while slipping you wear out and burn the clutches. This is likely your situation. If you catch it when it first starts slipping you may get away with only an oil change. After that it is rebuild time......................
+1

This is also my first thought on the symptoms you describe. Second thought is the present owner may be trying to offload a vehicle needing an expensive repair.

The automatic transmission is is a complex assembly controlled by sophisticated electronics. Trying to guess why it has this transmission issue is going to take a lot more information.

The first step in troubleshooting would be to have the error codes read. There's a lot of DTC's which could help narrow down or identify the problem. The 'Transmission Drive Cycle' will also help in setting accurate codes.

Here is a link to Jaguar's 'Description and Operation' of the 2003 X-Type Transmission which you can download from my MediaFire account (note it's a 5mB PDF):

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?w4n3q6610xd33dh

It has some useful diagrams and the explanation of how it all works shows how much there is to go wrong.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 04-22-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the link!

The owner has been up front that she is trying to unload the car due to expensive repairs and the fact that they live in a "backwoods" area where folks are not used to many foreign cars- especially the fancy jag!

After reading all of the automatic trans horror stories I figured that I could buy and try the easy fix but if, in the event the easy fix did not fix the problem, I would still have some reliable resource where I could get a new or rebuilt trans... I'm not interested in paying $1k for a used trans with 150k on it off of ebay or some salvage yard. I'd rather pay a little more and get something that is rebuilt or even performance oriented so as to avoid future issues...

This is a car that will be for my mother so there will not be any "spirited" driving but, it will need to be reliable as I live far away and cannot be around to deal with issues.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Boostmaster,
First thing you need to do is go get some "Seafoam Trans-Tune" and dump that in there. Drive for between 3000 and 5000 miles, then change the fluid with a really good full synthetic ATF fluid. I had this same problem, dumped the Seafoam in it and now the tranny shifts perfect.
Hope this helps,
Jim

Old 04-23-2013, 02:40 PM

I had seen a thread regarding that but the problem are:
1. I do not yet own the car
2. The car only drives at 10mph or less

If I can buy this car, my plan was to use the trans tune to unstick anything mechanical. Then flush the crap out of the trans until it's like new and then cross my fingers...

Old 04-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Poking around the web, it looks like quality rebuild kits can be had for around $430 USD.

A selection of used trannys with "free" shipping and a 1-year warranty can be found at Auto Parts, Car Parts, Truck Parts - Discount Auto, Car & Truck Parts - Auto Parts Fair , from $900 to $1,600, depending on the mileage on them.

Heck, if the car looks good, go for it! If you put the labor in yourself, you're going to save a bundle for a really, really nice "World Class Motorcar".

Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Since you dont have the car and aren't fully able to test it one thing it could be which a lot of people that are not used to newer jags do not even know exist is the car is in limp mode or safe mode. If thats the case it could still be the trannie or anything for that matter including some cheap fixes as well. Usually though with safe mode you'll be able to get it up to 30 mph but no more. Best thing you can is get the codes as GGG recommended. Sometimes these issues could snowball into more than just the trannie. If you get it cheap enough though it could defiantly be worth it.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:35 AM

I've looked at those salvage yard transmissions but they mostly seem to be higher mile transmissions 100k and up... AND for the prices, I would think I could rebuild the stock unit for just as much or for a few dollars more... It doesn't make any sense to me to replace a problem with another potential problem. I'd rather have something fresh that will be properly cared for on a regular basis right from the get go.

Heck, I can have heavy duty performance transmissions for other cars built for around $2k and they will handle tons of power and abuse....

If this is such a "world class car", you would think that there is someone out there that can build these transmissions to last. I know there's got to be someone out there that can do this...

Any ideas?

Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 PM

The tranny itself isn't so incredibly complicated that it would be beyond your ability to rebuild, nor is it too large to work with.

Forum member Jfenley posted this photo of the transmission and transfer case a while back. Although a bit too large for the kitchen table, nothing appears overly complicated or radical.

As mentioned; full rebuild kits seem to run about $430 USD

The only thing that makes it expensive to work on, is that it is in a Jaguar!

Go for it!

Attached Thumbnails Jag newbie- Auto Trans Inquiry-dscf1538.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 12:29 PM

I had seen that write up. (Good Stuff, BTW) Only issue I had was the amount of work to drop the sub-frame and engine (figured I might look at doing the t-chains/guides) if I was already going to be doing so much work... (Haven;t found a decent 2.5L t-chain DIY yet)

For $430 a trans rebuild kit is going to be just some basic stock stuff... I was hoping that there might be an "enthusiast" contingent out there that might be selling a more heavy-duty "upgrade".. (I prefer to overbuild and never worry again, than to just build stock and have to worry about all of the potential issues).

Thanks for all the input thus far...

Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 PM

I also checked ebay.. They have relatively cheap transfer cases ($450+) with low miles but their automatic transmissions are selling for $1k-1500 for units with over 100K on them! Seems a little steep for a very used trans..

Any I missing something here?

BTW, can anyone tell me the numerical designation of the auto trans for the 2.5L xtype? (ie: such as 4l60e, 4L80e, 4t65e, 2004R, TH350, TH400, etc...)

Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

The transmission is a JF506E. I haven't seen any blueprinted rebuild kits for it but if you find any please share.

A lot of the breakers on ebay are starting to overprice anything with Jaguar on them but also keep in mind the labor to remove the transmission.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:11 AM

If the deal pans out, I will try all the DIY methods to get the car right before looking to replace anything. If I have to replace, I'd prefer to go with a new rebuild... If I find any good rebuilders or kits I'll keep you all posted... Right now the purchase of the car is still in the air...

Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 AM

I've been perusing the various trans flush threads and several folks have recommended the seafoam. I use seafoam regularly on my other cars and have used the transmission stuff once IIRC. Since this car is basically immobile at the time, I wonder if filling it and letting it run on jackstands might do the trick..

Also, I'm a little concerned with the finicky nature of even the trans fluid! I would like to flush the trans as quickly and cheaply as possible... I was thinking some cheapo walmart fluids just to get the old gunk out (since it's gonna be flushed out and thrown away anyway) and then using Redline or Neo Synthetics as the final fluid. It looks like this idea may be a no-no?
(Hate to dump $7 a quart fluid if I can avoid it)

Can anyone clarify this issue for me or would it be better to start a new thread?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:25 PM

The fellow that rebuilt my tranny was adamant about using factory fluid. He had about a dozen reasons, all related to performance and reliability.

The main one was the Control Module that operates the tranny has a very narrow range of expectations of the fluid under specific temps and conditions, and it was "tuned" to the factory juice, if you will.

The other insistence he had was REPLACEMENT of the tranny cooler, as opposed to simply flushing it. He said no way could just flushing it assure that all the gunk had been removed.

In return for "doing it right", he gave me a 5 year / 100,000 mile FULL warranty - 100% parts and labor.

Oh, hey - do remember that if you buy this car, you will either need to try and drive it home, or trailer it. Towing it is not an option unless you pull the rear driveshaft out - you'll "pop" something in the Transfer Case for sure, and that costs near as much as a transmission!

Some very fine sawdust in the transmission might make it work enough to drive it home for rebuilding, if nothing else works!

Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM

Good info. Hadn't thought about the trans cooler... Good idea- probably cheap insurance (at least relatively speaking...)

I never tow anything- Always a flat bed- does not matter the vehicle (but especially, AWD)

That factory fluid flush sounds nearly as expensive as a used trans! I think I may need to research this one a bit more... I don't plan on driving the car with and flushing for days on end... This should be a one day project at most. Don't know if I can stomach dumping new expensive fluid through, just to flush it...

Quick Reply: Jag newbie- Auto Trans Inquiry