Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar 2.0L Diesel Engine transplant into a different vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 07:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Jaguar 2.0L Diesel Engine transplant into a different vehicle

Hi Guys,
This is going to be a pretty intensive question, and i am running out of answers after weeks of searching.

I have a vintage Bedford CF circa 1981 with a fuel consumption of a thirsty camel in the desert and the speed of a slug on steroids..!!

After much thinking, i am reasonably confident that i could fit the complete front subframe with engine into the Bedford without too much hacking. I would probably fit the rear subframe as well to keep the wheels standard.

It seems i have 3 options....

1, The big issue i have is the ECU. I have searched all over for a custom ECU that would allow me to control just the engine, but because the 2.0L diesel (Ford Mondeo/Puma?etc) is fitted with the crappy 12v Delphi injector system and not the higher voltage systems found on most cars, the cheapest ECU with a voltage translator module comes in at £2500 + VAT $3862..!!!!! So this is a no go.

2. As the 2.0L engine is pretty much the same as the old Ford Transit, i could look into fitting a Transit injector pump and injectors, the down side here is i would get a noisy donkey engine with fuel economy not much better than the original Bedford engine, and i would have turbo control issues to think about. Again, pretty much a no go.!

3, To fit the entire electrics from the Jaguar into the Bedford, its possible and look at switching off various functions in the ECU, but what software/hardware would be suitable for this?

Option 3 for me seems to be the cheapest and most logical approach. I am very competent in both electronic and electrical disciplines but i have very limited ECU hacking experience.

Any and ALL advice would be very welcome here.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 712 Likes on 637 Posts

A true mongoose (not Asian clone that can brick your car) & JLR SDD V.145

Jaguar licensed mongoose seller =
MongoosePro JLR

Doing an internet search =
V145 JLR Mangoose for Jaguar and Land Rover Support till 2014 Year

V145 JLR Mangoose for Jaguar and Land Rover Support till 2014 Year

Last edited by Dell Gailey; 01-19-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,842 Likes on 3,159 Posts

Jomac, welcome to the Fourms. Lots of good information and people here. So, here goes with your question. In short, you are right in that the easiest path forward is going to be to swap the wiring harness over and go from there. Do not forget that you will probably need to swap over a few other modules too (ABS module, tranny computer too) since your ABS module is what drives your instrument cluster and feeds information to the engine/tranny to allow proper shifting and the tranny computer to control the tranny.

As for turning functions on and off inside the ECU, odds are, what you are after is what is referred to as SDD. This is a dealership level computer system that you need to access the computers. It plugs into the OBD port and will allow you to access quite a lot of stuff. With that being said, you have access to pretty much everything and one simple digit being out and really hose things up. If you look around, you can find computer setups for Jags with this software. The question then comes down to how much money you want to spend. You can get a turn key system (new laptop, cable, and working software for around $1000 USD (maybe a little less depending on how much you look). If you supply the laptop, you can buy a cable and the software for around $300 USD. The problem with going the second way is depending on who you buy it through, you may get great customer service to help you get it set up, or you may not. Also keep in mind that the newer versions normally require you to get a subscription to a Jaguar site which can be costly and the software will not run unless you have this subscription. there are hacked versions out there too that will run without this subscription, but what all have they hacked?

Wish you luck.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

^ yup, I think V.134(?) Was the last version that allowed offline use. Not sure about V.138, but I do know V.145 does not allow offline.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:01 PM

Thank you for that Dell, i had been looking for an interface that works with the Jag for quite a while. I have 3 Jags, one is a scrapper, rear end damage and i have a saloon and an estate i use daily. I had to cough at the first link $599..!!!! I dont think any of my cars cost that much..!! :P

Old 01-19-2019, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member

My postings were to illustrate "true" from clones. Notice the spelling difference. My research shows the most trouble people have had (bricking their car) are Asian clones.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:24 PM

So i need to be looking for the version v.134 and not the later versions? So what is the difference hardware wise from the 'Official' Dealers system at $599 compared to the other links apart from $550 or so $$$'s

Old 01-19-2019, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the input Thermo. I have a couple of other ODB systems which have been er *COUGH* hacked and they work fine for what they were intended for, so i would be prepared to take a gamble here on a cheaper $40 system off ebay to start with.

I managed to find the full electrical manual this afternoon and spent a good hour looking through the 99 pages. There is nothing in there that is scary to me, in fact it answered quite a few questions, the biggest was, it's going to be easier than i thought to transfer the electrical system over to another vehicle as long as i stick pretty much to the Jaguar layout as it is now.

My plan is to use both the front and rear subframes with engine, transmission, braking system etc. After having a look through, the sort of things i would turn off are things like airbags, climate control, audio, window sensing etc etc. Most of the wiring harness is in fact sub harness's which can be cut and custom altered. If all fails with setting up my own system to hack the ECU, i do know someone who has the kit, but it will cost $$ to get it done.

I run 2 Jaguars and i'm tempted to use one of them as a guinea pig to see what i can and cannot immobilise.

I understand the climate control panel also has an important part to play with the immobiliser? I haven't looked yet so i'm not sure.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yup, the CCA is tied into the immobilizer. The main page "stickies" has a downloadable wiring diagram. I've looked in it a few times, but I think (memory) it's bigger than 99/pages. Maybe it's just reading them is not my forte and it just seemed endless. Thermo is really good at deducing them.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:22 PM
Default Wiring diagram

This is the document i found earlier online, there is another for vehicles before 2005 also....

Old 01-19-2019, 11:49 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Dell Gailey
Yup, the CCA is tied into the immobilizer. The main page "stickies" has a downloadable wiring diagram. I've looked in it a few times, but I think (memory) it's bigger than 99/pages. Maybe it's just reading them is not my forte and it just seemed endless. Thermo is really good at deducing them.

I've had a look through the stickies and cant seem to find anything apart from the workshop manuals and owners manuals?

Old 01-20-2019, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Old 01-20-2019, 04:40 PM

Yes, got that, it will be my bedtime read..!