X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar ACM questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Jaguar ACM questions

Hello all, I'm new here and I just bought a 2005 X-Type VDP (only 54k miles!). I love the car and everything has been perfect with it so far.

I'm looking to add some sort of audio-in interface so that I can use my iPhone for music. I came across posts on various sites referring to the Jaguar ACM which seems to be the ideal solution for what I want to do. However, I have a few concerns that haven't been addressed by anything I've read.

1. Do I need to have a Nav system? My car doesn't have one of those or a CDC. However, I do believe I have the premium sound. It's an Alpine system but if anyone needs any other details I'd happily check the exact specs and post more info here.

2. Are the connections already underneath the center console? From what I saw, you just drill a hole through the inside wall of the center console but I'm thinking it may be more complex than that.

3. Will I need the dealer to activate anything? I read that if your stereo mutes for a few seconds when you turn the car on it's a good sign that you won't need the dealer to do anything.

Hopefully I can get this set up with minimal issues. I appreciate any advice!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Greetings from The Jersey Shore!

1) You don't need NAV or a CDC. The ACM works just fine with the Alpine-sourced Premium setup. That's what I have in my car.

2) The necessary connections are in the back of the head unit and within the center console. All necessary cables (both wiring and optical) are included with the ACM. And yes, you will need to drill a hole.

3) With your 2005 model, you *probably* will not need any ECU programming done by the dealer. But you won't know for sure until everything is installed and you try it out for the first time.

You probably saw these links in the posts that you read, but just to be sure, read these:

Adding Accessories (aux in, iPod/iPhone, Bluetooth) to the Jaguar X-Type, S-Type and 2004-2009 XJ

Jaguar Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) Installation and Tips

And if you want to add Bluetooth, you might want to read this:

Adding a Motorola T605 Bluetooth Adapter

Hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
emaraszek (07-11-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I've been looking at the Parrot MKi9000 + Unika combination. The MKi9000 has the audio in connections + bluetooth for 2 phones at the same time, and Unika allows you to use your steering wheel controls for them.

Unfortunately Parrot said that Unika is not compatible with pre-2004 X-Types, so I'm out of luck with that.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Unfortunately Parrot said that Unika is not compatible with pre-2004 X-Types, so I'm out of luck with that.
There are reasons that I avoided the Parrot adapters for my X-Type - see Adding Accessories (aux in, iPod/iPhone, Bluetooth) to the Jaguar X-Type, S-Type and 2004-2009 XJ - but I'm fairly certain that there are no significant differences between the pre-2005 and post-2004 audio systems that would preclude the use of the Parrot and its accessories. Perhaps Parrot lumped together all of the X-Types, S-Types and XJ models to say that "only 2004-2009 models will work." Considering that the Audio Connectivity Module works with all X-Types, S-Types and only 2004-2009 XJ models - because all of these share the same D2B optical audio bus - I think it's likely that Parrot just generalized and thereby got it wrong.

If you're really intent on the Parrot models, then I'd look into it further before you assume that the Unika won't work.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by rothe
There are reasons that I avoided the Parrot adapters for my X-Type - see Adding Accessories (aux in, iPod/iPhone, Bluetooth) to the Jaguar X-Type, S-Type and 2004-2009 XJ - but I'm fairly certain that there are no significant differences between the pre-2005 and post-2004 audio systems that would preclude the use of the Parrot and its accessories. Perhaps Parrot lumped together all of the X-Types, S-Types and XJ models to say that "only 2004-2009 models will work." Considering that the Audio Connectivity Module works with all X-Types, S-Types and only 2004-2009 XJ models - because all of these share the same D2B optical audio bus - I think it's likely that Parrot just generalized and thereby got it wrong.

If you're really intent on the Parrot models, then I'd look into it further before you assume that the Unika won't work.
I've been planning on getting the MKi9000 regardless of what the case is with Unika, since I want the dual-phone bluetooth support (own N900 + business N9). I don't have premium stereo and I'm extremely unlikely to ever upgrade to it, so the other restrictions are not much of an issue.

Parrot tech support said only
"It won't be possible to use steering wheel control with this vehicle's year of production as the protocols used (can high and can low) doesn't allow the use of Unika."

But maybe I'll try one day, it's not that expensive considering the potential benefits.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by rothe
Greetings from The Jersey Shore!

1) You don't need NAV or a CDC. The ACM works just fine with the Alpine-sourced Premium setup. That's what I have in my car.

2) The necessary connections are in the back of the head unit and within the center console. All necessary cables (both wiring and optical) are included with the ACM. And yes, you will need to drill a hole.

3) With your 2005 model, you *probably* will not need any ECU programming done by the dealer. But you won't know for sure until everything is installed and you try it out for the first time.

You probably saw these links in the posts that you read, but just to be sure, read these:

Adding Accessories (aux in, iPod/iPhone, Bluetooth) to the Jaguar X-Type, S-Type and 2004-2009 XJ

Jaguar Audio Connectivity Module (ACM) Installation and Tips

And if you want to add Bluetooth, you might want to read this:

Adding a Motorola T605 Bluetooth Adapter

Hope that helps.
Thanks, that helped out a lot. Now it's just a matter of finding a good deal on the ACM.

As far as bluetooth, to me it's a waste of money. The amount of time I actually receive a phone call while driving doesn't justify the expense in my mind. Maybe if that changes at some point I would consider it.

If anyone has an ACM they'd be willing to sell me or knows of a good deal let me know!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:21 AM

After a bit of searching, the best price I found was $278:

Jaguar | XK Parts | AUDIO CONNECTIVITY MODULE

Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by emaraszek
After a bit of searching, the best price I found was $278:

Jaguar | XK Parts | AUDIO CONNECTIVITY MODULE
Hope this isn't a stupid question, but is that compatible with the X-Type? That links to an XK ACM...I'd love to get one for my X-Type, but want to make sure this is compatible. Anyone know for sure?

Cheers,
JTW

Old 07-12-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Andahaion
Hope this isn't a stupid question, but is that compatible with the X-Type? That links to an XK ACM...I'd love to get one for my X-Type, but want to make sure this is compatible. Anyone know for sure?

Cheers,
JTW
Yeah I just realized that, good catch!

Does anyone know if this is compatible?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

XK uses a different fiber optic network to X-Type. Not compatible....

Andahaion (07-12-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The ACM for X and S Types has several versions as a result of updates through 2009. Check this website for Apple compatibility and updating info
Dension - Jaguar

Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by wedgewa
The ACM for X and S Types has several versions as a result of updates through 2009. Check this website for Apple compatibility and updating info
Dension - Jaguar
Thanks for sending that link. I've seen it before, but for some reason it doesn't read clearly to me. Let's take the iPhone (version 4) for example. This says that the phone will not charge, that's clear enough. However, the next bullet point is unclear to me. It says that the Iphone will show some sort of error message, which will go away after the user clicks "yes" or "no". After that action, the phone will not show what song is playing. Anyone out there have specifics on that? Is the iPhone's screen useable with the ACM? How, specifically, do you operate the ACM with the iPhone 4? It would seem, based on that link above, that the iPhone is not compatible since you cannot see the screen. That's how it reads to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 AM

According to Rothe's page on the ACM (linked in his post above) someone had contacted him to say that after updating the ACM to the latest Dension firmware (although officially not supported) he was able to use the iPhone 4 normally. This was also a concern I had because I have the same phone.

However, unless I missed something, that post still doesn't clarify whether or not the phone can be charged using the ACM after the update.

By the way, does anyone have one of these they'd be willing to sell, new or used? I'm having a hard time finding a deal on one of these things online. I'll also post this in the "wanted" section

Old 07-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Jag ACMs in both an S (with touch screen and bluetooth) and an X (no touchscreen, no bluetooth). It's an audio connection module - not a telephone connection system. I use mine with 2 different generation iPods. In both cases, the system disables the iPod's own controls and transfers control to the car - either touchscreen or buttons. The iPod screens display a Jaguar logo while connected. Which I can't see anyway because the connectors and the iPods are inside the center console. The acm uses the interface for the optional 6-disc CD changer and those are the controls used on the dash. My phone is a Nokia and works well as a phone with the bluetooth in the S (which is completely separate from the acm). My wife routinely charges her non-Apple phone through the acm using the usb connector. My iPod has to be disconnected to do that.
If you can buy a current version acm for $258 that's pretty good. I wouldn't buy a used one stripped out of a car because there are just too many cables and connectors and other bits to be sure of a complete system. And be sure a "bargain" new one is at least new enough to have the most current cables. Those changed a while back in addition to the firmware.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by wedgewa
I have Jag ACMs in both an S (with touch screen and bluetooth) and an X (no touchscreen, no bluetooth). It's an audio connection module - not a telephone connection system. I use mine with 2 different generation iPods. In both cases, the system disables the iPod's own controls and transfers control to the car - either touchscreen or buttons. The iPod screens display a Jaguar logo while connected. Which I can't see anyway because the connectors and the iPods are inside the center console. The acm uses the interface for the optional 6-disc CD changer and those are the controls used on the dash. My phone is a Nokia and works well as a phone with the bluetooth in the S (which is completely separate from the acm). My wife routinely charges her non-Apple phone through the acm using the usb connector. My iPod has to be disconnected to do that.
If you can buy a current version acm for $258 that's pretty good. I wouldn't buy a used one stripped out of a car because there are just too many cables and connectors and other bits to be sure of a complete system. And be sure a "bargain" new one is at least new enough to have the most current cables. Those changed a while back in addition to the firmware.

Thank you for that info. I should have been clearer...I'm not concerned with using the iPhone as a phone in the car. I would like to use it's music playing capabilities with the ACM. I do not have a CD changer, nor Navigation. Sounds like a simpler solution is to purchase a iPod. Again, thanks for you help, I certainly appreciate it. I'm headed to the dealer for some routine maintenance Saturday, I'll be sure to inquire about the ACM with them.

Original Poster, apologies if I overstepped the boundary and encrouched on your post. Sounds like we have similar questions though.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:54 AM

Not a problem, I had the same questions so you saved me from typing everything out

Basically all I want to do is play music from my iPhone 4 over the car stereo. If the ACM can do that and more, fantastic. Charging the phone isn't such a big deal to me but it would be a nice touch.

Let me know what the dealer tells you. I sent an email to Barry at North Point (the ones who acquired Nalley) and he quoted an ACM at $465. The cheapest one I found online that is compatible would be $386.

Xeno (04-11-2013)
Old 07-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Great information on this thread. I got around the mobile phone blue tooth by buying a Motorola Roadster 2, which clips onto the visor & pairs with my android phone, sitting in the centre console. Price was about $100.00 & after 3 weeks it has been working just fine. All things (answer, make calls, etc) is controlled by voice to the Motorola unit. I can also just move the unit to another car if I want to use it there.
Great stuff on the ACM - what I do NOT understand with the Jaq audio system is ----I've got the S-type and the basic audio setup. The radio unit has a button for the CD changer but there is no CD changer. I would have thought that it would be something short of rocket-science to plug in a cable in the rear of the radio that would have gone to the CD changer if there was one, so that you could play an IPOD or MP3 player. Too simple & too cheap, I guess
Thanks to all of the above posters!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:55 PM

Are there any other devices besides the ACM that will work basically the same in the X-Type? I noticed on Rothe's page that the ACM will accept the Dension Gateway 500 firmware, so will a Dension Gateway 500 work in the car? If so, what part number should I look for?

Old 07-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

As far as I know, the original Gateway 500 doesn't work, only the Jag branded version i.e. ACM...could be wrong but it's been asked a number of times & no-one ever said yes...

Old 07-20-2012, 06:59 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Great thread. So where does one buy the Jag ACM? Mine is a 2002 2.5 with the 'regular' radio.
Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Jaguar ACM questions