X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just acquired 02 xtype having issues!!!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just acquired 02 xtype having issues!!!

Hello all, I am brand new to this community and brand new to Jaguar. So please excuse my ignorance on my posts. I am wanting to learn as much as I can. Anyway, just aquire it yesterday and it ran really well and very happy with it. Well today I got in it to move it and it is running really badly. Idling crazy and when put in gear it would die. It finally allowed me to put in gear and drive and it drove like crap cutting out, brakes wasn't wanting to work correctly ect...honestly I am little concerned that the guy got over on me...I don't know if it's something to have to do with a cold start or not. But I got scared and parked it. It did not set off any check engine lights etc...any and all help with it would be appreciated. Any advice on any maintenance or things I should check or change out would be great also!!! I hope to get this right quickly. Am so excited to finally own a Jaguar!!! Thanks so much!!!

Old 03-13-2017, 05:33 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Need to start with some basics. What engine in this - 2.5 or 3.0? Minor point as they're same save for displacement. Auto or manual transmission? Front wheel drive or all wheel drive? How many miles on it, and did seller give you any service/repair records? Where are you located? You can put location in your User CP.

From your post it sounds like you didn't have the car checked out prior to purchase; if so I recommend you start from scratch. Have the battery checked out and replace if necessary. Replace fuel and engine air filters. Engine air filter is easy; fuel filter not that hard but it's mounted back by the rear differential. Both filters are relatively inexpensive. There are YouTube videos you can review for procedure. Send forum sponsor SNG Barratt an email request for their printed catalog; most parts are in it and I've found it very useful in learning how Jaguar names parts.

Got an OBD scan tool? As you read through posts here you're going to see repeated mention of this code or that one. You can get car scanned at an auto parts store, but it sure is convenient having your own tool, and they're not that expensive. I just bought a Foxwell NT200 on sale at Amazon for $28. Speaking of Check Engine Light (aka CEL), does yours come on when key is turned on? Get a scan done to see if there's any codes pending.

I'd say spark plugs would be next, but I recommend you hold off until you research the job more. To get to Bank 1 cylinders (1-3-5, nearest firewall) the intake manifold has to come off. Bank 2 cylinders are 2-4-6, close to radiator. There are YouTube videos on spark plug change; not a hard job but you need to be familiar with steps before you start, and there are intake manifold seals that should be replaced when you remove the manifold. Ignore those and you'll set yourself up for air leak and having to pull the manifold again.

Think that's enough for starters. Others here may offer some suggestions. Brake issue will need to be addressed pronto; you'll need to post better description for suggestions. Are you a DIYer, and if so where would you rate yourself on scale 1-5, with 5 as Expert?

Last edited by swingwing; 03-13-2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Changed wording.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:37 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Here is the shop manual in pdf format which you can put on a cd or flash drive.

Workshop Manual in PDF. (thanks to LCGI)

A good first step is to drain and fill the transmission, transfer case and rear differential.
Jaguar says these are "lifetime" lubrication so may have never been checked.

Last edited by Bud Tender; 03-13-2017 at 10:50 PM. Reason: add drain and fill
Old 03-14-2017, 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

May well be one or more air leaks. Watch fuel trims...

Old 03-14-2017, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing a little reading on here. I might start with the PCV hose and valve. The hose looks like it is collapsing and could be restricting air. But would this have anything to do with my brakes acting weird? They got better as it warmed up. I also am thinking change the IMG seals. Seams like they go bad also.

Ps. This is a 02 with 153xxx miles with 3.0 and AWD, Automatic Transmission

Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 AM
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

You have power assist brakes. The assist part is from vacuum created by the motor. When the motor is running bad or when you have a vacuum leak the brakes feel bad. The small black plastic line by the firewall is for the brakes. This line tends to crack and go bad too.