X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed HID's in my fog lights - SWEEET!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Just installed HID's in my fog lights - SWEEET!

Hey well I found someone that knows what he is doing and used to be a mechanic and said he will charge me $50 for both the fog lights and the low beam and Im prob just gonna do that. As soon as its done on Saturday ill try and post some pictures of the car.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah you won't pass inspection unless you hide it perhaps...I've heard that others won't change the lights because of inspection...you could always just pull out the low beams and install stocks for inspection....

You get the kit yet jason?
Lastly 50 bucks is worth having someone else do it! As long as that is all he's going to charge you!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agh! my eyes!...

Old 01-04-2008, 07:16 PM

Yup and im getting tem installed tomorrow, im syched.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

NO update jason I'm upset

Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 PM

Yeah IM Fing pissed cause that guy never showed up oh well Ill try and do them this week.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: jasonzimbran

Yeah IM Fing pissed cause that guy never showed up oh well Ill try and do them this week.
It's a pretty straight forward install. After doing it myself, I would hate to have paid someone to do it. Give yourself a few hours for error, and start early in the day. Don't do like I did and start it at 630PM and post a thread on here when you can't get it to work, it's getting dark, and you can't finish it in time to see how they look

Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Don't worry i started it late and had no problems finishing...the passenger side (supposed to be the worse side) took me 15 minutes if that to put everything together. I did the drivers side first! Of course he didn't show up you were only paying him 50 bucks! At least do the headlights and do the others after! It really isn't hard like we've been telling you this whole time!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:01 PM

I agree that the passenger side was definately the worst. It took me about a half hour to get it installed, and another half hour to get it functional. The driver side was a breeze. Took out the battery and was done in 10 mins.

It was definately an experience. Now if I had a garage and could have changed my own clutch and transfer case...

Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah lol I hear you on the transfer case and clutch! BTW how much was the tc? Jason when you do it just take out both covers from the back of the headlamps and than take them in your house or whatever and drill the holes...than if you haven't already remove the battery and move the box enough to help you get at the lamp easily (you don't have to remove it all the way though...) and than do the drivers side. After the drivers side and you know what you've got to do and than do the passengers side....telling you it will only take 15 mins to do the other side once the holes are cut and all...

Old 01-07-2008, 09:26 PM

Yes aquil, now I feel really stupid I read the direction one more time with my dad and it makes perfect sense, im just go get a drill hole from my friend and a bite and it should be very simple and easy.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member

Oh its super easy. If you need to give me a call if you have any q's...

Old 03-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

still waiting on the Bulb Type... <6000k?>

Old 03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Bulb type is H1, same as the headlights. I'm in the process of doing HIDs in my fogs. Well..actually, I've already installed them, I'm just waiting on a replacement ballast, as one of mine was bad upon delivery. I'll have pics and a full write up done by next week, assuming the ballast gets here by Saturday...

Preview:

Old 03-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the front bumber cover and plastic headlamp covers have to come off to get to the "city" bulbs in the high beam light fixture? I put in a new set of H1 high beams 4200K standard wattage with no real improvement. I had gotten the LED replacement from frickinbright.com and could not get the connector off for the city lights from the back.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

The bumper doesn't have to come off for any work relating to the headlights, except for removal of the headlight housing itself. All bulbs can be removed from the back of the housings, inside the engine bay. The city lights fit very tightly into their hole into the back of the housings. They require a good amount of force to get out, but do'nt yank them. Just apply smooth firm pressure, and they should pop out. Be extra careful putting them back in, otherwise you'll end up having a real bad day.
I'm not sure what you mean about the "4200k standard wattage bulbs" in the high beams. Most people don't upgrade the bulbs in their high beams because they're so rarely on.
I've actually ordered some various white 194 sized LED bulbs from frickinbrite.com/v-leds.com, so I'm anxious to get them in and see how they look.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

i have the 6k hids. i put in the super white led's for the city lights from v-leds. i think the led's look more like 8k in color. does any one know of a match for the 6k?

Old 03-08-2008, 02:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The supposed color is equal to a 4200K light spectrum which my new high beam H1's give off. They are a more pure white than the stock Orsam H1 bulbs that were in there but they still are not as impressive as I am looking for.

I am not sure if using a 80w or 100w bulbs in the high beams will overload the wiring or not? I had a Painless Wiring H4 relay wire kit for my old car and I used Narvaor Hella 80/100w bulbs in Cibie E-code 7" round lamps and they were fantastic especially for high beam range.

It may be that the DOT high beam lamps in the X-type arejust not focused enough to replicate that kind of beam pattern despite throwing in higher wattage bulbs. I chose the standard 55w H1 bulbs because I did not want to over load the stock wiring or circuit.

I am real happy with the HID low beams though.

IfI do get the city lights out I will put some silicone grease or spray around the fixture so that they will be less of PIA to get out again.
Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Just installed HID's in my fog lights - SWEEET!