X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob- Limits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob- Limits?

I was wondering if on the Jaguar X-type 3.0 V6 there is a limit to how many key fobs can be programmed?

I purchased a used key fob from eBay to replace a broken one and when I set it up my other working key fob no longer works. Then when I program that one the other doesn't work. If I do it again it again switches, but i can only get one of the 2 programmed. Both of them are working but not at the same time.

My thoughts for this problem are that my old key fob that broke is still programmed in the cars memory and maybe there is a limit and the car is deleting the most recent key fob to add the new one. If so, how can I delete the cars key memory or start over to program the two now working key fobs?

Please advise, trying to sort this out without the dealer.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenny B
I was wondering if on the Jaguar X-type 3.0 V6 there is a limit to how many key fobs can be programmed?

I purchased a used key fob from eBay to replace a broken one and when I set it up my other working key fob no longer works. Then when I program that one the other doesn't work. If I do it again it again switches, but i can only get one of the 2 programmed. Both of them are working but not at the same time.

My thoughts for this problem are that my old key fob that broke is still programmed in the cars memory and maybe there is a limit and the car is deleting the most recent key fob to add the new one. If so, how can I delete the cars key memory or start over to program the two now working key fobs?

Please advise, trying to sort this out without the dealer.
i believe u have to program them at the same time

http://www.bluejag.co.uk/X-Type-keyfob-reprogramming.php

Last edited by iownme; 02-05-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:25 PM

Thank you very much for that info. You are right you do have to program them all at the same time.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my locksmith had the programming guide which says the ECM is fixed at 4 slots, and no ability to delete old ones out

Old 02-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I'm sure I used to delete 'LOST KEYFOB TRANSMITTERS' with PDU, WDS, IDS when I worked at the dealer. There is an option in SETUP and CONFIGURATION.

There was a campaign to replace the GECM on certain cars and we had to reconfigure the Keyfob transmitters to the car after replacement.

Jaguar issued a TSB to explain an alternate method without WDS/IDS.

bob

Attached Files
Old 02-16-2017, 05:30 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My key fob I becoming worn out and I've seen replacement ones on Ebay & Amazon for around £20 they say they are a direct replacement and need programming in to the car, I understand the actual ignition key needs a main dealer or locksmith to programme it to the car but I only want to replace the door locking 4 button remote part and intend to simply switch that onto the old key fob, hoping I wont need to programme the ignition. Are all the fobs the same these tend to be 433Mhz frequency with 4D60 chip, how can I tell what my car fob frequency is? And is it possible to merely replace in effect half the fob?

Old 02-17-2017, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I think you are good to go on the fob key swap. Just be sure you get the correct remote Mhz rating for your country.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
I think you are good to go on the fob key swap. Just be sure you get the correct remote Mhz rating for your country.
Ah thanks hlgeorge I take it the 433Mhz must be the UK frequency. Will have a go at changing it and update any problems I encounter

Old 02-18-2017, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

The MHz can be changed by holding the lock and unlock button simultaneously and pressing the light button 3 times then release the lock buttons .

Old 02-20-2017, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Datsports
The MHz can be changed by holding the lock and unlock button simultaneously and pressing the light button 3 times then release the lock buttons .
Does each country have a different frequency or are there only a few "zones" like DVDs? A lot of these new fobs seem to be made, as most things are now in China and brought over saying they are 433Mhz which I assume is the UK frequency. What I don't want to do is get one of them, then not know what frequency its programmed to, and not be able to sync it with my car, if that makes sense.

I might get a coupe and have the second one properly programmed to the ignition as complete spare key if I can find a cost effective locksmith that can do it. Haven't priced Jag yet but I've heard rumors its expensive..!!

Old 02-20-2017, 07:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My car came with ONE key (we bought it used)
Jag dealer wanted $400 PER KEY to give me a new pair. (ridiculous)
I bought a pair of fobs with uncut keys off ebay for $38
Talked the Jag dealer into cutting the blades AND programming them to the car for a grand total of $120. Might have been cheaper at a locksmith that can do it, but I had the car at the dealer for other stuff, so... was ok with that price and not having to do more running around.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Hex Type
Does each country have a different frequency or are there only a few "zones" like DVDs? A lot of these new fobs seem to be made, as most things are now in China and brought over saying they are 433Mhz which I assume is the UK frequency. What I don't want to do is get one of them, then not know what frequency its programmed to, and not be able to sync it with my car, if that makes sense.

I might get a coupe and have the second one properly programmed to the ignition as complete spare key if I can find a cost effective locksmith that can do it. Haven't priced Jag yet but I've heard rumors its expensive..!!
yes they are set aside for different countries . but there is only two different mhz.

but the key fob as i said can switch between the two see here

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...bility-130256/

Old 02-23-2017, 03:45 AM

I bought a refurbished key with an uncut blade from a UK seller on eBay (I'm located in France) and it was described at 433 MHz. The locksmith had to change the chip, though, for a cost near €50. If the chip can be changed, I guess the main frequency can be changed too.

The total cost was around 100 € for a spare key, instead of 300-400 € for a "new" one at the brand dealer (being stored for 10 years in a storage room makes it used IMO).

I'd say go and try. It won't ruin you.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:26 AM

Think I've got to give it a try, thanks for all your help so far guys.
Interestingly enough there's a few sellers on Ebay stating they are UK sellers, but when you check and message them its seems they are ether Chinese or similar, they also have a compatibility check on the page, the listing states its for my car but when you do the compatibility test it says it doesn't work my car..!! interesting given the comments from the conversation on the link Datsport put up. Ill do a little digging and see what I can find and if they work. Seems a buyer be ware approach will be required.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:55 PM

I don't know if I can give names but I used St Helen's Keys and the package was sent from the UK.

BTW, to change the battery by yourself you need a very small diameter (1-2 mm) small cruciform screwdriver like the ones used in computer repair shops. Check the tutorials on YouTube for this!

Old 05-01-2017, 12:16 PM

Just thought Id update from the last conversation. I bought a replacement fob, from Ebay the part was shipped from China, and came branded as a direct replacement buttons with the transmitter and battery all in one piece. The idea was to simply replace the remote part of the fob and mate it to your existing key. The idea was sound but the replacement part was not of a similar quality, nor would the shiny new remote mate with the exiting fob. I simply opened it up in the same manner as the original Jag fob and took the circuit, battery, and fresh new rubber cover and fitted them in the old fob. It worked beautifully, the fob has a longer range to open the doors and the new circuit pared to the car immediately. A very cost effective way of replacing the fob. The whole project only cost me £11.00...