X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Socket for Locking wheel nut

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Socket for Locking wheel nut

Just discovered that the Key Socket for Locking wheel nuts has vanished. How will I know which is the right one to buy?

Old 06-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

We need some more clues bryans.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:06 AM

I discovered that the key was not there anymore, probably was not put back by mechanic after last service, since I never used it. Mine is a Jaguar X-type 2004 2.0D. Is this key same for all, or there's a some different from others? How shall I proceed, as if I'll need to change a tyre due to a puncture I can't. Basically I can't use the car till I find what to do.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 PM

Same problem here Bryans, im thinking of getting a universal locking wheel nut removal kit of ebay and hoping for the best (unless anyone on here suggests otherwise)

Old 01-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

If you have not already done so, may I suggest that readers have a look at their key socket and make a note of the code on it.
Save the code in several places so it cannot be lost. Maybe your phone, service book, email to yourself or a Tattoo?

Here endeth todays lesson.
Sorry bryans and markoscar all I can suggest is you check any documents / user booklet in case it has been noted down somewhere.

The code is a single letter stamped three times in a column on the side of the key.

There are 22 different locking wheel nuts with letter codes from A - Z (except I, O, Q and U)

A Jaguar dealer may have a full set and could take them off for you.
UK dealers seem to either refuse or charge a fortune per wheel.
I have yet to read that anyone has got a spare from a Jaguar dealer in the UK.
The usual approach is we can sell you five locking nuts and a key for approx £100.

Car breakers yards are starting to realise the value of these keys and are now advertising on the UK Ebay.

im thinking of getting a universal locking wheel nut removal kit of ebay and hoping for the best
I would not rush off to do that.
I have read extensively about these £$%$%^&&&* wheel nuts and the news is not good. From what I have read these removers are pretty useless as having smashed or cut off the dome ( which should rotate) there is a not enough material for those type of removers to bite into in order to grip what is left.
Brute force may damage the alloys. Some folks weld a lump of steel onto the part nearest the wheel and go from there.

Others say go to a tire outfit as they can always get them off. I would watch them like a hawk to see their methods.

Me - I guard my key nut and I plan to get Mcgard ( who do supply spares) and of course Mcgard appeared in the 2008 accessories catalogue.
All the 2008/9 cars I have seen in the UK still have the domed sort.
Figure that out!

The following users liked this post:
markoscar (01-27-2013)
Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Jaguar Dealers have access to the full specification on all vehicles. The Locking Wheel Nut Key Number is part of this information.

This is page 3 of 4 of the specification printout for my XK8 from the Jaguar Direct Dealer Warranty system available to all Jaguar Dealers. I've obtained similar printouts for my last four Jaguars. The Key Number is arrowed in red:

Key Socket for Locking wheel nut-03-specification-xk8-4.2s.jpg

There's many reports on the forum of members telephoning or visiting Dealers and being given the Key code number on providing proof of ownership. Once you have the number, Wheel Nut Keys are regularly advertised on eBay etc.

The right approach and attitude can save a lot of time, effort and money.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
markoscar (01-27-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 AM

I am new to Jaguars so this is my first one.

Jaguar Dealers have access to the full specification on all vehicles. The Locking Wheel Nut Key Number is part of this information.
My local main dealer supplied me with such a printout but there is no wheel nut key number on it hence my suggestions.

The right approach and attitude can save a lot of time, effort and money.
Yes. Good advice. I suspect that I have read the moans but the good experiences are less reported.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:17 PM

There are 22 different locking wheel nuts with letter codes from A - Z (except I, O, Q and U)
Correction?

When searching Ebay for Land Rover locking wheel nut keys ( which I believe are the same as Jaguar ones) I saw both I & U for sale
I did not see O, Q, X, Y, Z.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:19 AM

I would suggest from my own experience with a lost key that everybody writes down the code letter or number on the key ideally in the service record. This would help new owners like myself who are not aware what a nightmare a lost key can cause.

Barretts of Canterbury Kent have a full set of the letter keys and are reasonably priced and very helpful. From then I found the key letter and bought a new key on ebay for £20 from SB Wheels

Old 04-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bryans
Just discovered that the Key Socket for Locking wheel nuts has vanished. How will I know which is the right one to buy?
check my recent post

Old 07-02-2013, 04:38 AM

Hi, not only did our local tyre centre break our locking nut key but they also wrung off a wheel nut which only leaves what looks like a washer with absolutely nothing to get hold of. The removal tools on ebay won't do it, the RAC couldn't get them off. Jaguar tried and failed and then wanted to cut the two wheels off.
Finally found someone on the internet Locking Wheel Nuts Removed - from any car every single time, guaranteed. and they had all four off in about 40 minutes which cost me £50.
Hope this helps.
RS

Old 07-02-2013, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

My son just got an X type a few weeks ago.......one of the first things we did was to remove the locking wheel nuts, in fact ALL wheel nuts and bin them.

The issues with Jaguar wheel nuts, in particular the locking wheel nuts is well documented. There's been many an owner stuck / stranded due to this and its caused countless problems.

We removed all the 2 piece nuts & the locking wheel nuts and binned them.
They were replaced with solid 1 piece equivalents easily found on Ebay and were around £20 for the set.

Stolen alloys is more or less a thing of the past, at least not as prevalent today as it was IMO

Perhaps something to consider?

Old 07-03-2013, 05:54 AM

We removed all the 2 piece nuts & the locking wheel nuts and binned
them.
They were replaced with solid 1 piece equivalents easily found on Ebay and
were around £20 for the set.
My understanding is that one piece nuts are for steel wheels only
Alloy wheels need two piece nuts that include the washer else alloy wheels can be seriously damaged.