X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless entry?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Keyless entry?

Does anyone think that it would be possible to get rid of the door handles and put a keyless entry on it, so whenever you push a certain button, it opens that door, i've seen it on many cars, like on my friend's Silverado lowrider. Just not sure if it would work for the big cat. What are your guys' thoughts? I personally think it would look very nice and clean, just not sure how it would work :P

Thoughts?

Last edited by QuintonChester; 07-27-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How do you get in when things go w w w w wrong?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Quinton, yes, it is possible. They sell kits out there to be able to pop individual doors. BUt, this will also mean that you need to carry around 2 key fobs, vice one. You will still need your current fob to allow you to start the car. It is a concern to some, not to others. The big question is how much are you willing to spend to get this option. You are looking at a complete repaint of the car (more than likely) along with a decent amount of time doing body work to remove the handles. THen, like was mentioned, what sort of system are you going to have to bypass the control module if your battery dies (my thought was having a plug behind the wheel wells that is connected directly to the popper, then you can have a spare battery in the garage that you can plug in long enough to a single door that it will get the door open and then give you access to the interior).

For what it costs, unless you are making a show vehicle, I don't think it would be worth it monetarily. But, when you get into the "oh wow" factor, that can override a lot. So, your car. Possible, yes, reasonable in my book, no. But, your car.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Quinton, yes, it is possible. They sell kits out there to be able to pop individual doors. BUt, this will also mean that you need to carry around 2 key fobs, vice one. You will still need your current fob to allow you to start the car. It is a concern to some, not to others. The big question is how much are you willing to spend to get this option. You are looking at a complete repaint of the car (more than likely) along with a decent amount of time doing body work to remove the handles. THen, like was mentioned, what sort of system are you going to have to bypass the control module if your battery dies (my thought was having a plug behind the wheel wells that is connected directly to the popper, then you can have a spare battery in the garage that you can plug in long enough to a single door that it will get the door open and then give you access to the interior).

For what it costs, unless you are making a show vehicle, I don't think it would be worth it monetarily. But, when you get into the "oh wow" factor, that can override a lot. So, your car. Possible, yes, reasonable in my book, no. But, your car.
Yeah I completely agree that it's possible, I just wasn't sure what others would think of it. I mean I think it would be VERY sleek and sexy. Others would find it really annoying though, I'm sure. But it was just a crazy idea that popped into my head last night. I don't think it's something that I'll ever do unless I win the lottery and just have money to blow on whatever :P But it sounds really cool.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Quinton, you will find that there are a significant number of Jaguar owners that have the feeling that Jaguar spent tons of money on the cars to make them the way that they did. By you modifying them, you are "ruining" them. I think you will find that more people who own jags are going to scorn/ignore you than will complement you. I"m sure if you go to a car show, you will get lots of complements from non-jag owners, but very few from those that drive jags/BMW/MB/etc.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:56 AM

Very true, I mean I'm not going to do it, but idk. I feel bad now :c I guess you're right, it would be ruining the car, and I have no intentions of ruining my car, I've had two X-Types and I've loved both of them to death. My apologies.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:13 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

No apologies necessary, we do a lot of "blue sky" thinking around here.

I, for one, don't really understand all the talk about lowering an X-Type. I was looking at mine last night and could tell that the designers/suspension-engineers put a lot of time in creating the "look" of our cars.

Take a look at the front wheel and notice how the width of space between the fender edge and the tire is uniform, that is the wheel sits in the middle of the opening. That doesn't happen by accident and it presents a highly "finished" appearance to the side of the car.

Lowering the car just disrupts that symmetry.

The rear sits up a bit and there is slightly more space over the wheel in comparison to the sides, however...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 07-30-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by pab
No apologies necessary, we do a lot of "blue sky" thinking around here.

I, for one, don't really understand all the talk about lowering an X-Type. I was looking at mine last night and could tell that the designers/suspension-engineers put a lot of time in creating the "look" of our cars.

Take a look at the front wheel and notice how the width of space between the fender edge and the tire is uniform, that is the wheel sits in the middle of the opening. That doesn't happen by accident and it presents a highly "finished" appearance to the side of the car.

Lowering the car just disrupts that symmetry.

The rear sits up a bit and there is slightly more space over the wheel in comparison to the sides, however...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
I completely agree with you there on the front wheel, the front wheel was designed beautifully. I was thinking of lowering mine until I actually noticed this, however, I would still love to lower the back just a hair :/ But all is well, I love my jag the way it is.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think of how much money you'll save on gas without door handle drag!, lol jks