X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock when engaging D or R.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knock when engaging D or R.

Hello, Thanks to everyone here who helped me in my previous problems, but another one is really worrying me... Every time when I shift to reverse (auto gearbox 2001) immediately I can hear knock underneath the car and when I shift to drive it knocks again. It does the same thing when I drive, take my foot of the accelerator and when I press my foot I can hear same knock. For me it sounds like there is a lot of play between gear teeth and every time I change direction of rotation it knocks. Also when I leave car in park and raise on jacks I can turn each wheel for about 45 degrees until it will lock. My question is is that normal in all x-types or should i start to worry about my transfer box,gearbox or propshaft? To add on few weeks ago I have run out of petrol as my fuel gauge doesn't work properly sometimes and I left it in drive when the engine went off and I could hear grinding under the car, so assume I should shift it to neutral as soon as engine went off, because wheels were still turning but engine was off. Please help as I have 1000 mile trip coming in 11 days and would like to make it without any breakdowns
Thanks,

Old 08-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

99% probability you are well on the way to total transfer case/box failure....since it seems you have the 45 degree rotation, before "lockup", on each wheel when you turn them.

If it is the transfer case then this is classic of the internals breaking up not the bearings. I've had two transfer cases with this symptom....if you have to "floor" it, for some reason, in this condition it will easily fail totally. I drove about 1500 cautious highway miles with one in this condition before it failed. The internals of these transfer cases cannot handle 230 or so HP...especially the the planetary pinion gears and their
two piece housing.

Hope it is not this expensive for you but I cannot think of anything else to match all the symptoms you describe.

Rob.
2006 X Type Sport Wagon.
1987 XJ6 Daily driver.

The following users liked this post:
chrisp1981 (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Chrisp

Lets try a less expensive approach, With the car at idle and the brake on(not park brake), hood, open, have someone shift from D to R and see if the engine rocks abnormally. If you can't differentiate anything suspicious have them touch the gas (a little not hard in D then watch. I haven't heard much chatter(on the forum) about loose or worn motor mounts but you can eliminate a relatively cheep fix. Start simple and work up the expensive fixes. It is a 2001 and age is worse than mileage on rubber and neoprene parts.

The following users liked this post:
chrisp1981 (08-05-2014)