X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED DRL's (Photoshop help wanted)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED DRL's (Photoshop help wanted)

Firstly, Sorry to regurgitate an old thread but Ive decided to fit LED DRLs, just because.

Now I just cant decide on where to fit them. Im thinking even a circular pattern around the smaller head light. (eg Bentley) Or, maybe a W look, around the bottom of each head light... Im not really sure.

So Im hoping to find someone on here who is good at Photoshop or similar and has some spare time to play around with options.

If anyone does have the skills and time, it would be much appreciated if they could do some 'mock ups' of various options. The LED DRLs come in a strip that can be bent into pretty much any shape you want and can also be any length.

Im useless at photoshop etc and really just want to get an idea of what the LED DRL's will look like in different positions.

Anyone willing to help or offer suggestions?

And please, If you disagree with the idea, fine you disagree, but please keep it to youself as I know a numbre of people are thinking the same thing as me.

Danke

Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been talked about so much on here like you previously stated, But I have never seen anybody try to photoshop any pics to see what it actually would really look like with different placement suggestions. I agree with you and was thinking about doing the exact same thing, putting a "U" shape on the high beam bottom area so that they come up half way.. that's the only good area that I could come up with. Below is a crappy pic of what I'm talking about so anyone who read's this gets my idea.. also I know Arden did a LED DRL job on the XJ but I think if you add it in that way then there are too many lights but that's just my opinion.

My Idea:

Last edited by BlackJag914; 09-29-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:37 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Is this kinda what you are looking for. This picture is of nine 285K MCD 10mm LEDs per side (equivalent to about a 40W bulb). This is something I am still working out the final details too. The LEDs are cast into a water clear resin. I am looking to make another few sets. I centered the LEDs inside this set which doesn't let the LEDs sit far enough down to be clear of the underside of the splitter to give good light output. The other option I am looking into is actually casting them into the underside of the splitter. This will involve cutting out individual grooves for each LED to rest in, making a roughly 5" string of light on each end of the splitter.

But, this is what they look like at the moment.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Why no build halos.....they are cheap to build and look cool, i could give you a idea on them if you would like

Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

Disco, I have contemplated halos believe it or not. My idea was to get some 1/4" (or 3/8") acrylic rod, heat it up and then run it on the inside edge of the inner and outer headlights and then use an LED or two to light them up (the light would go all the way around since the acrylic will act like a piece of fiber optic cable). The problem essentially comes down to taking the headlights off of the car, pulling the front lenses off, and then working with 300F acrylic. I've worked with that hot of acrylic and it wasn't the easiest stuff to be playing with, not to mention the potential of burns. Maybe as time goes on, I will do more with them. But, then, I would also want a scrap pair of headlights to be my test platform so in case things go south, I can still drive the car.

Doing the LEDs is the easy part for the halos. The other project I am contemplating is adding a colored LED to head headlight opening (in my case a green LED) and using them at night inside parking lots to make the headlights have a green glow to them. I thought it might be interesting (maybe a bit ghetto though too). We'll see.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Thermo
Disco, I have contemplated halos believe it or not. My idea was to get some 1/4" (or 3/8") acrylic rod, heat it up and then run it on the inside edge of the inner and outer headlights and then use an LED or two to light them up (the light would go all the way around since the acrylic will act like a piece of fiber optic cable). The problem essentially comes down to taking the headlights off of the car, pulling the front lenses off, and then working with 300F acrylic. I've worked with that hot of acrylic and it wasn't the easiest stuff to be playing with, not to mention the potential of burns. Maybe as time goes on, I will do more with them. But, then, I would also want a scrap pair of headlights to be my test platform so in case things go south, I can still drive the car.

Doing the LEDs is the easy part for the halos. The other project I am contemplating is adding a colored LED to head headlight opening (in my case a green LED) and using them at night inside parking lots to make the headlights have a green glow to them. I thought it might be interesting (maybe a bit ghetto though too). We'll see.
Thermo your right, but he arcrlic rod is 5 bucks, you can use a blinds rod, from a hardware store, heat it, and from it around a aboject. Im planning on using my freinds old jeep headlamps to figure it out, I got a video of how to make them, and a write up if you like. You can also rig them to change colours...write now i can only figure out changing them to two diffeent colors witha switch i dont know how some people have them set up that they can do more.

AND make sure ou use a resistor, cuase the leds require significantly less power then a normal bulb.

If you want the link just let me know. it really puts it into propective how easy, iut can be, the hard part i see is getting them to work the way you want them to in the headlight assembly

Old 10-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

For me Thermo, sorry about the spelling in the last post.
I was thinking of putting halos around the front turn signals, and main projector lens

Old 10-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

Disco, I know all too well how to wire up LEDs (I made a custom set of LED tail lights for my Expedition with 400 LEDs per tail light).

As for making the LEDs form different colors, look on e-bay. There are controllers out there for like $10 that will allow you to control some pre-fabbed LED strings in the complete rainbow of colors. The controller is like $10, the strings are around $40 for a 15 foot string (all weather, but not all of the strings are all weather). I have 2 controllers and a string of lights at my house right now for some floor lighting in the wife's car. But, the controller would be easy to rig up to power standard LEDs. The strips use a 3 chip LED (blue, red, and green chips). Then it is simply pulsing the chips on and off really fast to make the rainbow of colors.

You want me to go into more detail, let me know. They are actually pretty simple little units. They even come with a remote control. How cool is that? he he he he he.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

That is very cool, I'm conserdering doing that to a possible new future vehicle.