X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led turn signal bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Led turn signal bulbs?

Hey everyone, just curious to know if there are any replacement LED bulbs for the x type? I am wanting the led's for the turn signals...

Old 02-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

There are plenty available on Ebay.

Get the canbus one's though as they have a resistor to stop the light control unit thinking a bulb is out.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Lavaman, like was mentioned, if you don't get the correct bulbs for the turn signals, they will blink really fast and be annoying. So, look for the ones that say that they work with the CANBUS system. Otherwise, you will be adding some resistors in parallel to the LED bulbs to correct the flash speed. If you do go the additional resistor way, let me know and I can help you get things back to where they will need to be.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by mikesmith2
There are plenty available on Ebay. Get the canbus one's though as they have a resistor to stop the light control unit thinking a bulb is out.
Will you please show me some turn signal bulbs on there?

Old 02-01-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Lavaman, like was mentioned, if you don't get the correct bulbs for the turn signals, they will blink really fast and be annoying. So, look for the ones that say that they work with the CANBUS system. Otherwise, you will be adding some resistors in parallel to the LED bulbs to correct the flash speed. If you do go the additional resistor way, let me know and I can help you get things back to where they will need to be.
Thanks for the info! I am not finding any on ebay.. I will keep looking.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Old 02-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

CANBUS led | eBay

Here are some on ebay, search was canbus led.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Do you need the CANBUS kind just for the turn signals? I bought some LED lights for the driving/parking lights (in the highbeams) and for the license plate, but they weren't specified CANBUS. I didn't know you could get turn signal bulbs that didn't need resistors, that's sweet. I was thinking of upgrading to LED bulbs but the brighter ones are a bit pricey.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bud Tender
CANBUS led | eBay Here are some on ebay, search was canbus led.
But which ones fit an x type? That is what I need to know

Old 02-01-2014, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bud Tender
CANBUS led | eBay Here are some on ebay, search was canbus led.
But which ones fit an x type?

Old 02-02-2014, 01:26 AM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The Bulb You Need: Bau15s (aka: 150° 7507, PY21W) with the "Y" shaped base.

I am a fan of LED's and have spent soooo much money buying and trying different bulbs. My main issue with LED turn signals is that I was never able to find a set that was as bright, or brighter than their incandescent counterparts (making it a safety issue).

It wasn't until i found these Cree XBD LEDs with 4 radial chips and 2 inside a little projector and they completely DESTROY incandescent bulbs in terms of brightness.

Granted these aren't the Error Free kind, but you can just add resistors. BUT on these Jags the "hyperflash" is only a sound effect and if you look outside they still flash normally. So in my case I just ignore the fast blinking sound (plus my exhaust is loud enough that it doesn't even bug me).

2X 30W BAU15S 150° 7507 PY21W High Power CREE LED Turn Signal Light Bulb Amber | eBay

Attached Thumbnails Led turn signal bulbs?-dck106329-10.jpg  

Last edited by aCapiz; 02-02-2014 at 01:36 AM. Reason: correction of part #
Old 02-02-2014, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by aCapiz
The Bulb You Need: Bau15s (aka: 150° 7507, PY21W) with the "Y" shaped base. I am a fan of LED's and have spent soooo much money buying and trying different bulbs. My main issue with LED turn signals is that I was never able to find a set that was as bright, or brighter than their incandescent counterparts (making it a safety issue). It wasn't until i found these Cree XBD LEDs with 4 radial chips and 2 inside a little projector and they completely DESTROY incandescent bulbs in terms of brightness. Granted these aren't the Error Free kind, but you can just add resistors. BUT on these Jags the "hyperflash" is only a sound effect and if you look outside they still flash normally. So in my case I just ignore the fast blinking sound (plus my exhaust is loud enough that it doesn't even bug me). 2X 30W BAU15S 150° 7507 PY21W High Power CREE LED Turn Signal Light Bulb Amber | eBay
Thank you!

Old 02-02-2014, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

04xtype04, when it comes to LEDs, you only need the CANBUS style LEDs for the turn signals. The other bulbs can be any LED bulb that you find. Now, with that being said, from my experience, the LED bulbs that you buy is like trying to compare a Yugo to a Lambo. You have good ones, you have crappy ones. As a general rule, the SMD style bulbs tend to be the cheapest and you pay for that cheapness. I have seen a lot of these fail because a little bit of water got inside the housing and the solder joints (which are normally barely sufficient to begin with) will corrode and then the solder joints fail, leading to a not working bulb. If you can, get yourself some CREE bulbs. They will have the light output like what you are after and will normally be a higher quality bulb. But, with that being said, you are also paying more for that style bulb.

The following users liked this post:
04xtype04 (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 11:23 AM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

The Bulb You Need: Bau15s (aka: 150° 7507, PY21W) with the "Y" shaped base. I am a fan of LED's and have spent soooo much money buying and trying different bulbs. My main issue with LED turn signals is that I was never able to find a set that was as bright, or brighter than their incandescent counterparts (making it a safety issue). It wasn't until i found these Cree XBD LEDs with 4 radial chips and 2 inside a little projector and they completely DESTROY incandescent bulbs in terms of brightness. Granted these aren't the Error Free kind, but you can just add resistors. BUT on these Jags the "hyperflash" is only a sound effect and if you look outside they still flash normally. So in my case I just ignore the fast blinking sound (plus my exhaust is loud enough that it doesn't even bug me). 2X 30W BAU15S 150° 7507 PY21W High Power CREE LED Turn Signal Light Bulb Amber | eBay
I second this. I'm running this style of bulb for every application in the tail lights as well as the front turn signals. All other LEDs offer a level of brightness inferior to the standard incandescents which presents a safety issue.

Also, any bulbs I've bought which claim to be "CANBUS error free" or "resistors included" have always failed to perform correctly without external resistors fitted anyway. Personally, I would just look for the best deal on a CREE projector LED and then get some resistors (usually around $5 per pair) to finish the job right.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Old 02-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks Thermo. I got some 5-smd 5050 LED bulbs, which seem like they should be at least brighter than the stock bulbs. They seemed a good price-point between bright and affordable. They have 9-bulb ones which were like 4x's the price so I bought a lot of the 5-bulb ones really cheap since the w5w bulbs fit in several lights on the X-type. I am also wanting to get some bright brake light bulbs, then maybe next LED turn signals. I've always been a fan of LED lights, something about the efficiency and color I guess.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavaman
Yup those will work. Just remember to get resistors or ignore the error sound.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 PM

Yup those will work. Just remember to get resistors or ignore the error sound.
Awesome! Thanks a lot.

Old 02-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

If there's one application you don't need an expensive bulb for, it's the reverse lights. I've found that the way that area of the tail light reflects, even a cheap SMD LED is much brighter than an incandescent

Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

04xtype04, the problem when dealing with LEDs of any kind is that every LED will emit different amounts of light. Just because you got some 5050 SMDs, they come in say 10 different light levels (lumens). As you can guess, the brighter the LED/SMD, the more that it is going to cost (due to being the latests and greatest and also production costs). That is where you need to pay attention to how many lumen they say that the bulbs will output. LUmens is true measure of light output. The number of watts and number of SMDs has no direct correlation unless you know some other information (ie, the MCD rating of the LEDs, number of LEDs, etc). If a bulb does not list the lumen rating of the bulb, then odds are it is very low and not something that you are interested in. This is where you also need to compare the LED bulb to what the incandescent bulb outputs.

Something else that I have noticed is that while when looking at an LED bulb, they appear much brighter, their ability to reflect light is not as good as an incandescent. So, for say brake lights, this is good because the person behind you will see the LED bulbs easier. But, for something like backup lights, the amount of light that is coming back at you is vital. This is where getting the brightest LED/CREE bulb that you can is going to benefit you.

Quick Reply: Led turn signal bulbs?