X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at an 04 x-type 2.5 what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at an 04 x-type 2.5 what to look for?

Hey guys,

Brand new to the forums. I found a used 2004 2.5 x-type for sale and was going to take a look at it tomorrow (monday). This would be my first Jag and was wondering what things I should look at and pay attention to when looking over the car. At least in pictures the car looks great, but apparently has some hail damage but it doesn't look like any rust.

So what I currently know about the car is (combo of their description and the vin decoder on this site)
1 2.5l v6
2 5 speed manual
3 new clutch
4 carfax does show the car as being a salvage title, I haven't called to ask why yet because the car is at a dealer and they are closed today. Just a hunch, the car was totaled out within 4000 miles of the current milage so I'm kinda wondering and assuming that it was the hail damage that totaled it.
5 car has 126k miles on it
6 looks fairly loaded, sunroof, leather, power seats, 120 Watt alpine radio, 6 speakers
They are asking $3500, is that fair for this car? Sorry for all the questions I am coming over from the vw world so I am expecting this to be a completely different beast ☺

What are the known week points of this year/model of Jag? At 126k miles what will/should I expect to have to do to the car in the near future? Etc

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice!
Bill

Old 06-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Seems a high price for a salvage damaged car.

Drive the car and listen for noises along the drive train. You need to listen to the transfer case and the transmission. If there is any grinding or vibration run away.

Check the lights. Headlights tend to go out and it's at least $600 to replace the light units, and you have to remove the front end of the car to get at them. Any dash lights that are on, run away.

Don't get me wrong though. The X is a great little car. And having a 5 speed in a modern car is a big bonus.

If the car seems OK, offer the guy $2500. If it's a salvage car I'm pretty certain he'll take your offer.

And any problems, this site is the best. I've had so much good advise and help here it's untrue. Oh, and find an independent Jag guy in your area. Avoid dealers. AVOID DEALERS.

The X Type isn't a fast car. You won't be beating much off the lights. My wife's Ford Escape is faster. But you will enjoy the admiring looks. The vast majority of people know nothing except that it's a Jag. And I still turn back and look after i've parked.

Good luck.....

Old 06-30-2014, 09:34 AM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Check for rust in the lower A pillars and along the sills behind the plastic trim.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:35 AM

flyrr100,

thanks for the reply!

In the VW world we have a tool called a VAG-Com It is a VW specific ECU interface tool, the cable interfaces between the ECU and your laptop.... Is there a similar tool for Jags?

OH yes VW's are the same way.... you find a good trusted "Guru" in the area and avoid the dealer at all costs!!

The car is at a smaller Mom and pop Auto lot, so I'm sure it is a bit higher priced due to that.... I am going to call this morning and see if I can get more into on the reason it was salvaged, I don't believe the hail damage is the reason any more.... The car was totaled out in MN in January 2 years ago, and we don't get a lot of hail in the middle of winter in the frozen northland LOL

So for a 2004 the big things to look for are drive train noises and possibly headlights... so when you say they tend to "go out" you mean the housing itself goes bad and you have to replace the entire assembly.

How reliable are the 2.5s? how many miles are they good for?

Bill

Old 06-30-2014, 09:43 AM

One more question.... In the VW world (especially on the diesels) Timing belt changes are critical!!! How frequently are Jags timing belts/chains due to be changed, and how critical is it that they are changed on time?

Tony Thank you, so just to make sure you are taking about on the bottom corners of the windshield under the plastic sill there?

Bill

Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

The headligh unit goes bad. Mine actually melted!

The engine is basically a Lincoln V6. Put oil in it and it's pretty bullett proof. Do check the oil pan for leaks. It's a common problem and a new gasket is a $600 job.

The V6 has a serpentine belt. Change every 10k or so.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 AM

Well than.... I just talked to the owner of the dealership, seemed very honest and open about the car... he doesn't know why it was totaled, it has a new transmission (I'm sure rebuilt) and a new clutch, he said it was in pretty rough shape (hail damage and a broken drivers mirror base), But to me the bigger issue is that the AC isn't working and the blend door isn't working (only blows on defrost), they dropped the price by $500 vs fixing it, so to me that means it is more than a simple recharge the AC...

HMMM ok back to the drawing board, thank you all for your thoughts and ideas!

Bill

Old 06-30-2014, 10:16 AM

Hey Guys,

OK sorry one more question... how are teh automatic transmissions on the x-type and s-type in early 2000's cars? I found 2 more in my area one is a 2003 x-type with an auto, and the other is a 2001 s-type with an auto. I know some cars have known issues with one type of transmission over another so I was just curious.

Bill

Old 06-30-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I've owned a 2000 3.0l s type and now I own an 03' 2.5l x type both with the auto transmission.
From my experience, the s type was a much more enjoyable drive. Definitely more of a sporty feeling but there are more issues with the s type, especially in the early models pre 03.
The repairs are more expensive on the s especially when it comes to suspension work but I'd say is worth it haha.
I'm an X type fan for sure but I think that has a lot to do with the all wheel drive but I wish it felt and reacted more like the S.
Both have great reliability, motor wise, if you keep up with regular and preventative maintenance but it's really what you want to go with. You'll be happy with either, I promise.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Salvage title always means offer less than book. And, by way of comparison, the '04.5 that I just added the other day had fewer miles than the one you are looking at, was literally a one-owner (original contract copy was still in the glove compartment along with the original window sticker) and was ultimately purchased for less than you are discussing.

That being said, it would appear you are dealing with a Sport given the additional options related to audio and moonroof. They were all, to my knowledge, leather. The ONLY added-cost option on the non-Sport we just got was the metallic paint.

The front clip does NOT have to be dropped to change bulbs although it is a tight fit in there, so some do suggest dropping the bumper cover for better access. The biggest issue on the low beam is that the factory connectors tended to overheat and melt in spectacular fashion. I have no idea about lifespan on the replacement connectors since the ones in my '03 were just done a few months ago and I just did one this weekend on the new one...the replacement leads were overpriced since I went through the local dealership for the sake of expedience- I paid a total of ~$20 for the two of them and then spliced them in (they could be had online for about five bucks a piece and even less if you don't care about an actual over-the-counter Jag connector)...