Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying my first X-type

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Looking at buying my first X-type

The 2.5 is the best bang for your buck, since it'll give you the better gas mileage! As for major issues, the tranny is weak and the rear end whines, but it should get taken care of under warranty! It all depends who you speak to! Bojangles(one of our senior members), is a pain in the *** with the dealers about small noises. He wants the car to be absolutely PERFECT! For the price you're paying, I don't know if you can honestly expect PERFECTION like Bo does, but you'll certainly get a great car with VERY low miles! BTW, is it the sports X-type or the regular? Navigation? Are you sure you want to put 80 miles PER DAY on an X? That's really my only concern...an X type can't take such abuse!

Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

80 miles a day is 30,000 miles a year. On any car that's a lot of miles, considering most people do between 10-18 k a year. I think the point big was making was why would you put that many miles on such a nice car, If I was going 80 miles a day I'd buy a like ford or somethign cheaper just because that's a lot of driving.

If you drive anything that much it's going to have some mechanical problems, it jsut varies on how much they will cost to fix.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

It depends what work your getting done, and it looks like you'll still have a warranty. The expensive stuff is what you wouldnt expect to need fixing. I don't know much about x types, but with the my dads xk8 we have to spend a lot of money on wheel bearing and bushings. Maybe certain parts are more expensive too, just cuz jaguar parts are harder to find, but like basic service shouldn't be too much.

If it's a woman driving it, I might worry...cuz like getting a side mirror replaced is a couple hundred dollars.
J/P about the sexism by the way

Old 07-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

That's a great idea, but I would feel reluctant to let my wife hold it just to rear end someone! To be honest, if you drive a stratus, then the noises and miniature problems that the X has won't bother you! I know it seems overstated, but the feeling of driving a new Jag is indescribable. The fact that you can drive a Jag for the same price most people drive nissans or fords is enough to twist me to drive this beauty! However, extended warranty on the X is a MUST!

Old 07-25-2007, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Because the tranny is the weakest part of the car, and the warranty will pay for itself just with that if it goes! Also, God forbid your engine goes, or something else goes wrong, you're covered!

Old 07-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

Not sure, but I think you can! Just might a bit more!

Old 07-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

I think the best time to buy the warranty is a like a month or two before your current one ends

Old 07-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  7.4 KB

Hey Junkymac..........so, you're lookin to buy a used X huh?
An 04 is a good example. Obviously where they had certain issues with the earlier models some of these have been resolved, like any car, the longer its in production the better it usually gets. More features are added as standard and feedback from the service centres helps with common problems being addressed.
Don't let Biggie scare you too much....lol, although, he's bang on when he says that the trannys are a weak point.
They can have their own little quirks here n there. Yes they can be expensive to fix!
Take a test drive and look at the FSH and ask for all receipts so you can see whats been done and whats not.
Yes, I would certainly take warranty with the car. If you have 1 year / 19k miles warranty with the car I'd ask about exending it for sure. Ask them how much to extend it now and how much to extend as the existing warranty runs out too......cover all the bases as you would whatever car you'd be lookin to buy.
They are a beautiful car to drive and you WILL feel special, you WILL get special looks and comments WILL be made.
Just be aware of that if it's for your wife, cos if she's drivin it, that means she'll be getting special attention too!
Let us know how you go and or what you decide

Cheers and good luck

Jim

Old 07-27-2007, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine for about 7 months. 2003 with 44K miles. No major issues. Before warranty ran out, i had some cosmetic items changed. The only issue was the front left bearing was bad and it was making noise. Fixed under warranty and no issues since then.

Let

Old 07-28-2007, 12:00 AM

thats a hell ofa price! I have an 02 with with 35k miles that i paid the same as you for. Same motor and tranny. I like the car its very nice looking but it is cheaply made. The interior is made of a cheap plastic that doesnt fit well. My radio cant pick up any stationsunlike my old car.I had a 2000 seville sts before i bought this car and the fitment and quality of the interior was far superior to the jag. Granted i bought a base model x-type but the interior is the same as anyother x-type. I do alot of driving myself. I put on about500miles a week.As far as gas mileage i did the math and i am getting 27mpg mixed90% hw10% city. The trick is to keep the tach under 3k rpms. Brakesfeel squishy, awd system makes certain "sounds" when on the hw. Not alot of autostores carry parts for them. I canteven buy an air filter at my local autozoneunless i special order it. With these carsthey are either lemmonsor no problems what soever.I have read dismal reviewsand i have read raves. The way i look at it is that your basically getting a new car for cheap money.14k dollars for a car withless than 25k miles is a steal. Especiallyif it has awd etc. Try buying an audi or an xdrive bmw or 4matic benz for that price.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Junkymac

Are Jags typically expensive to work on? I know my sister had a BMW one time that cost like $400 to change her battery. Needless to say, I'd never pay anyone to change my battery, regardless of how hard it was to do.
Yes they are expensive. Their english. English cars are expensive to get parts for and to have them worked on.
FYI > If you ever get a modern BMW, you cannot change the battery yourself. You must access the BMW scan tool to tell the ECM that the car has a new battery. If you don't, the car will continue to try and compensate for a weak battery and overcharge/destroy the new battery. Thats just how dependent the car is on its battery.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:43 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hey dunhill, what were the cosmtics that you had to get fixed

Old 07-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

peewee, I have 2000 Cadillac Seville STS too.However I think you're comparing apples to oranges here lol. Because Seville can be comparedto XJ .Ifind Seville'squality fairly well butI would still prefer X300's .Sevillehas too much plastic partswhich isunacceptable for its class .Being a Cadillac ,I'd like to have more leather especially upper dash trim

Old 07-29-2007, 05:46 PM

I agree with the radio. Some stations around the Washington, D.C. area fade in an out, used to **** me off, but i am used to it....

Quick Reply: Looking at buying my first X-type