X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing Power

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Losing Power

I have a problem with my 2003 X Type 2.1 sport, Whilst driving it started to lose power and eventually cuts out as though it has petrol starvation. But when i switch it off and restart it she goes fine for 1/2 mile then same problem again.
Also I noticed recently there seems to be a humming noise from the rear when the engine is running.??? Any suggestins would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

Old 10-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Steve, first off, welcome to the forums. I think you will find a lot of great knowledge here and pretty straight forward answers. BUt, we do ask 1 thing though. Please stop by the new member section and introduce yourself. We are a quirky bunch and we like to get to know one another. By doing this, you will figure out who the movers and shakers are and possibly get a nice gift in return. Once you stick around here a little bit, you will understand why we are growing my leaps and bounds.

As for your problem, before you go too much farther with the issue, what I would recommend you do is get your hands on a fuel pressure gauge. If you open the hood of your car, you can find the fuel rail and there will be something that looks like a tire valve stem. This is known as the Schrader valve. The fuel pressure gauge will screw on to this (there are a few other valves like it, but they are all different sizes, so, no need to worry about getting on the wrong one). With the gauge set up, turn the ignition key to the RUN position. The gauge should jump up to 40-50 psi (closer to 50 psi). If you are running at about 40 psi or under, then your fuel pump is starting to go. Then start the car, the pressure gauge should drop slightly to 30-40 psi (closer to 40 psi). If you are under 30 psi now but had a high pressure with the engine off, then you have a blockage (most likely the fuel filter). If the pressure is low for both checks, your fuel pump is starting to go. IF the pressures are fine (up near the top end of the bands), then further diagnosis of the vehicle needs to be done. BUt, i am betting you will find that when the car starts to stumble, you will see the fuel pressure falling off, meaning you need a new fuel pump.

The following users liked this post:
stevepattin (10-23-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thermo, I do not have these issues, but do have 72k miles on the odo, should I be taking preventive measures and replace the fuel filter? Thanks for your insight.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Xerxes, the fuel filter should be changed every 20K miles or so. IT is a cheap part and easy to do. THis ensures nothing gets into your fuel injectors and clogs something up. So, yes, change the fuel filter. Just make sure that if this is your first time doing the job, you spend the extra $10 on the "Ford Fuel line tool". Any auto parts place will know what this tool is. IT will look like an X with half moon pieces on the end. You put the half moon pieces over the fuel line, slide it up the fuel rail so the half moon pieces slide into the connector. Wiggle some as you keep pushing the tool up the fuel line. YOu will feel the tool slip past the retainers. At this point, pull the fuel filter from the fuel line.

The following users liked this post:
Xerxes' Jag (10-27-2012)