X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOST KEY and FOB!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LOST KEY and FOB!

My friend stored my Jag Xtype 2002 for the winter and managed to lose the only remaining key. Worse, the car is about 120 miles away from the nearest dealership and is locked.

According to dealership advice, I must tow the car to the dealer, have 2 keys and 2fobs purchased for $660 and pay another $160 for programming.

Can anyone think of a cheaper way to do this? Perhaps it is necessary to buy the blank keys from the dealer but could I maybe buy the FOBS on ebay or from a less expensive source?

I wonder if GEICO will pay for the tow...the car did have roadside service until after the car was stored, but then I think I switched to lesser coverage (maybe comp)

sign me: sucks2bme!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:22 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

You do NOT need two keyfob transmitters for the TWO keys to be configured to the car. They are separate issues!!!!!!!

The Keys (transponders) have NOTHING to do with the keyfob transmitters so just get the keys (transponders) configured and deal with the remotes later. You can configure your remotes yourself.

bob

Old 06-23-2017, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

And never TOW it, it must be moved on a flat bed tow truck.

Old 06-23-2017, 08:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, Bob!
I found the transmitters on Ebay for $40 (for 2) so now I guess I'll call back and ask for the price for the keys ONLY. Will the car start and lock/unlock with just the keys or perhaps I should have the transmitters in hand so that if I can't program them myself then I pay to have them do it?

Thank, Dell! I knew about flat bed for AWD...and I have a worse problem because the car is locked and probably in gear w/ emergency brake on so somehow it's going to have to get put on a dolly and then lifted. That's the other problem!!!!

Old 06-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The car will operate without keyfob transmitters. They are a convenience not a necessity.

bob

Attached Files
Old 06-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There are locksmiths that can cut and program the key part of the keyfob assembly. A dealer can provide the necessary key cutting specifications.
Understand, There are two programming operations that the dealer wishes to perform. one you can do yourself, that is the buttons that lock and unlock, and open the trunk, and turn on the headlights. as stated before these are for convenience only.
The other programming, however must be done by accessing the ecm with a computer, and as I stated, some locksmiths can do this. The trick is getting the keys cut. without a key to pattern after you are at the mercy of Jaguar to give you the code, or you will have to replace all the tumblers on the car. Unless the key is programmed the starter will not crank the engine, and you will be unable to start the car. You may however be able to rig a bypass of the start circuit. as far as i know that is the only thing the key code disables.

Last edited by Bizmuth Helm; 06-25-2017 at 09:46 PM.