Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost Keys - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Lost Keys - what to do?

Hi all,

So I work a part time retail job, and while I was there last night, my keys were stolen from my desk. When I bought my X a few months, it only had one key, so I'm now officially stuck!

I called my local Jag dealer this morning, and their service department said the following:

1) I need to get two new keys programmed - the car won't let them program just one - is this right?!
2) They need the car at their location, so I need to get it towed - which begs the question, what's the best way to tow an AWD car that's in park, with the doors locked, and no key to allow us to put it in 'N'?
3) They said that once they program the new keys, the car will 'forget' the original key, which my thief has. Does this mean just the electronic "clicker" part of the key? or the actual mechanical part too?! Seems hard to believe... my first instinct is that he won't be able to operate the "clicker", but he could open the door manually, and still drive away?

Thanks for your help during this stressful moment!
David.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:33 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Here is where you can get an uncut key(s)...It may save you a few bucks

Brand New Uncut Jaguar Flip Key Flipkey Switchblade Fob Keyless Entry Remote | eBay

The following users liked this post:
davidb831 (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

They also have a auto locksmith list so you may get lucky as well.

Good luck,
The Dr

Old 08-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many Thanks...

Thanks to the replies, which I looked into, and were certainly useful.

The un-cut key would have been a fantastic option, but would have meant renting a car for the 4-5 days it was going to take to get here. Also, I spoke to about 6 local locksmiths, and only 2 of them could program the clicker and immobilizer, NONE of them could cut the physical key. Called the dealer, and they would only cut the key/program it if I bought the key from them. They were also the only Jaguar dealer in town, so I was kinda stimied at that point.

Net result? $85 for the tow, $519 for the *two* new keys (one of which is a basic backup key, with no clicker, just the immobilizer) - more than I paid for my first vehicle!
<reminisce>(£350 for a 1966 Vauxhall Viva HA, when I was a kid living back in the UK)</reminisce>

Lessons learned? Don't leave your keys lying around, no matter how familiar the surroundings, or how much of a pain it is to have them jangling in your pocket and wearing a hole all night!

David.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Serious Note About Keys

Not sure if anyone else experienced this...but a few times I left my car running and closed the doors and could not get back in had it not been for a window that was down or an extra key in my pocket. This is just me, but I always carry both keys with me. I believe the price you paid for the keys was very high according to my local Jaguar dealer. Good luck in the future!