Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"low outside temp" warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "low outside temp" warning

Hi All,
I’m new to the forum. I (my wife) have an ’03 x-type. The engine malfunction light and “low outside temp” warning are on upon ignition. The “low outside temp” warning can be cleared via the trip reset? Button on the end of the turn signal stalk but comes right back on momentarily. Yes it is cold here in WI. but the manual says the warning should go out shortly after ignition. Before I take it to get the codes read has anyone else seen this issue? The car runs great otherwise. I’ve tried disconnecting the battery. Possible bad sensor? Any help would be great. Thanks.

-Scott

Old 02-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just tap the reset button on the dash under the headlight switch. It's the middle one. No way around this warning coming on unfortunately but this is the way to turn it off once you start the car.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Use the Reset Button

When my '03 X started doing that i looked it up here and found a thread about that (which i can't locate again now). Just underneath the round switch on the dashboard for the headlights there are three buttons labelled "A/B" (for the trip computer); "Reset" (to reset the message being displayed); and "Km/M" (to switch the odomoter and ttrip meters between kilometer and mile measurements.)

The "low outside temperature" message is telling you that it is 40 degrees (farenheit) or colder outside, and i suppose its to warn you that the road might be getting a little slippy. To eliminate the "low outside temperature" message, press the Reset button - that eliminates the messages one at a time (until you stop and start the car again.) If there are several messages, they drop off one at a time until the odometer displays. Continuing to press the button cycles through all the messages being displayed again. I find I have to wait about 30 seconds after starting the car to press the reset button, and sometimes i have to hold it for a second, but that gets rid of it.

It can be a disconcerting warning. its hilly around here, and when the temperature is in the low 40's I've had it suddenly go on while I'm driving into a low spot where the temperature is cooler, and that orange light kicks in and catches the peripheral vision and the brain says "oh no" before the eyes can even get to the "low outside temperature" message. they should have put that message onto the climate control display instead of the main instrument panel.

Anyway, i hope that's all thats wrong in your case too.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02-'03 x-type refurb rims wheels

Aaah, I was hitting the wrong reset...and yes it's below 40. Tomorrow I'll see if it clears both warnings although it wouldn't surprise me if the "eng malfuction" light was a different vacuum related issue. I'm taking her in to get a wheel balanced tomorrow. We have some serious potholes this year! I think the rim may be bent so I'm bringing along a refurb rim I bought on ebay' The rim arrived today ups well packaged and on inspection is very nicely refinished:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Is $125 a pretty good deal on stock '02-'03 x-type 16's? I'd like to replace one more rim on this car I think...

Rick 'n' Meatbag- thanks for clearing that up for me!

Old 02-26-2010, 05:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

One other thing to keep in mind with the "LOW TEMP OUTSIDE" warning is you need to let the yellow light go out before you reset it or else the message won't clear. So, start the car, let the engine idle for a few seconds and then clear the light.